One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

D06A2A3E-F2A0-4221-BB1C-8FF7DE947F36.jpeg
3C5F8945-98E5-40D4-9C47-E6F0CA8584B1.jpeg
2C27CFB0-DAB2-4526-9E1E-2C89E4E285C5.jpeg
AB28B12D-4B93-4EDB-8E96-2C7FE4CD484B.jpeg
525A02CE-C9A9-48F2-AAB1-DBD1DC584EB5.jpeg

First sign of construction* or demolishing rather was Q1 2019 and essentially 30% of the exterior and obviously interior are yet to be finished. I tried to look back but does anyone know if they expected this to go what will inevitably be close to 4 years? Is their post-refurbishment tenancy lined up throughout?

sometimes I'm just shocked at this project because there are far more hurdles than a normal build up. At least it seems like it.

^ This shot really gives a good idea of what the crowns gonna look like on winthrop ctr. 1 post office sq really looks good in the shade there in dark blue with no reflections.

PLEASE stop the Dawn of the Dead blue glass cloning march. Can't we get a little variety in our new (or renovated) architecture???? The template is way overused at this point and is beginning to anesthetize the landscape. How about some NON-rectangles???? How about some DIFFERENT colored glass? How about DIFFERENT materials?????? Inventive crowns, anyone????

PLEASE stop the Dawn of the Dead blue glass cloning march. Can't we get a little variety in our new (or renovated) architecture???? The template is way overused at this point and is beginning to anesthetize the landscape. How about some NON-rectangles???? How about some DIFFERENT colored glass? How about DIFFERENT materials?????? Inventive crowns, anyone????

On one hand I agree with you completely. On the other hand, to be fair the glass all does look different for the most part. Some cities like Toronto appear to only have 1 glass-maker with 2 low-quality color options for the entire city. Here, essentially every glass building has a different shade/quality/reflectiveness from every other glass building. Even MT and Winthrop, probably the most alike glass towers (besides the Millennium Place complex where it's intentional), can look drastically different under different lighting conditions. My next set of Winthrop pics (took too many, still making cuts) will show strong differentiation from the nearby MT.

Time is money: as noted above, construction began in March 2019 (technically a building permit was only granted in June 2019 per BPDA, but, in terms of resources--time, labor, money--being diverted to this project instead of to something else, it began in March 2019). So this renovation has now entered its 42nd month.

(That same BPDA page also claims construction completed in Nov. 2021--WTF?!?--but that is so wildly misleading that I think the issuance of a certificate of occupancy will be a far better yardstick for when work completes.)

But to prove I'm not some vulture of doom cackling at the misfortune of others: if I'm deciphering JLL's leasing page for One PO Sq. correctly (a big if), then the renovated space has already leased 61% of its availabilities--473,000 sf out of the 775,000 sf total quoted by most media sources I've seen. That's not bad, considering!

(again, though, not sure I'm deciphering that leasing page correctly...)

At this rate, it may be closer to early 2024 before this thing is completely done. I'm sure they'll say COVID/supply chain issues/Ukraine/inflation and whatever other tried and true 2022 excuses they can come up with for the delay.

Back