One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

"Gray precast boxes" are lousy too, but at least they have windows and you can visually delineate the stories on the buildings. There is still some detail that tell you the viewer people work here and there are separate stories, etc.

These glass shields are Ken Dolls.
The original facade was brown/beige.

The old facade was terrible, peak 80s exposed aggregate panels with bunker windows going 500' up. Like half the Back Bay hotel towers but taller and with better proportions. The new reskin is not a standout but it doesn't grate the eye like the previous version.

At some point, I'd like to make a thread for which Boston skyscraper is most worthy of a recladding. I'd vote for 1 Financial, which has incredible potential in its shape and proportions, but has been in fattening striped pyjamas for 40 years.

52370934065_38d2cd385e_k.jpg

The old facade was terrible, peak 80s exposed aggregate panels with bunker windows going 500' up. Like half the Back Bay hotel towers but taller and with better proportions. The new reskin is not a standout but it doesn't grate the eye like the previous version.

At some point, I'd like to make a thread for which Boston skyscraper is most worthy of a recladding. I'd vote for 1 Financial, which has incredible potential in its shape and proportions, but has been in fattening striped pyjamas for 40 years.
Quite right. It was shockingly cheap looking even when new. The cloak of invisibility is an upgrade.

...At some point, I'd like to make a thread for which Boston skyscraper is most worthy of a recladding. I'd vote for 1 Financial, which has incredible potential in its shape and proportions, but has been in fattening striped pyjamas for 40 years.

Only so long as such a reclad would take nowhere near as long as this one is taking. 1 Financial's striped pajamas are way more dignified than the unflattering bare midrift this one's been sporting for years now.

I was working right across the street at 225 Franklin St. when this building went up in the late 70’s. I was quite happy with the original but think that the new version looks decidedly better.

One thing the reno has done quite successfully, is take the eyes away from the roof addition for the old Fed Reserve building. Jarring when it was built in the late 70s, it fades to the background now.

Back