Other People's Rail: Amtrak, commuter rail, rapid transit news & views outside New England

DBM

Reaction score
Strolling this morning through the quaint and picturesque Chepiawonext Point neighborhood, with its charming vistas of E. Greenwich Harbor, I was pleasantly surprised to come across a pedestrian-only overpass spanning the NEC. Per the plaque it was built in 1987.

There are at most 50 houses in the neighborhood, and the overpass connects it to a very low-density stretch of Route 1. Walking on both sides of the NEC for a little over an hour, I saw 5 other pedestrians--on a beautiful summer weekend, no less.

Which makes me wonder--given there is essentially zero built-in demand for this overpass--that I very well might be the only pedestrian to use this month--was it a mandate from the federal government that it get built? Is there a minimum number of overpasses that have to span the NEC per X miles, in areas where they aren't "naturally" occuring where you have lots of auto bridges spanning it?

It presence was just so surreally perplexing--like something out a Grail quest, I suppose, given how overgrown it is with foliage and how romantically abandoned/neglected it appears...

The EGE

Reaction score
Looking at old aerials, the neighborhood used to have three grade crossings at Neptune, Elisha, and Alger. Perhaps the ped bridge was a compromise when the single road underpass was built? The underpass was in place by 1995 - somewhat earlier than the eliminations during electrification - so it was probably built in 1987 as well.

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Looking at old aerials, the neighborhood used to have three grade crossings at Neptune, Elisha, and Alger. Perhaps the ped bridge was a compromise when the single road underpass was built? The underpass was in place by 1995 - somewhat earlier than the eliminations during electrification - so it was probably built in 1987 as well.
The bridge is just south of where one of the grade crossings was, so I think it's very likely it was a replacement as you suggest.