Parcel P-12 | 286-290 Tremont St | Chinatown

Re: Parcel P-12 | Chinatown

So i have been meaning to write a brief synopsis about the last meeting for this parcel....

- The community has requested that the site be maximized to its tallest height. Roughly it is zoned for about 100'0" below the FAA limit.
- The turnout at the meeting was largely of the chinatown community with majority of the questions focusing on the community benefits.
- A single bay village resident attended the meeting to voice a few concerns, particularly about potential shadows over the small park that sits directly across Tremont Street.
- Multiple Easements that cross the site are desired to be kept.
- The Asian Community Design Corporation (ACDC) was present, and after a brief discussion with the director of real estate, they would ultimately like to be the developer with financing coming from a traditional developer (similar to One Greenway). The same director mentioned to me that this would be a good site for the 115 Winthrop Square off site affordable housing units here. Would like to work with MP, but nothing has been finalized.
- Speaking of affordability; the chinatown residents wanted to push the affordable numbers to a minimum of 50% affordable units, with a desire for 100%. The desires also went to what level is "affordable". some wanted to go as low as 30% AMI.
- Tufts has an interest in the site, not particularly about developing it, but the vice president of real estate mentioned wanting to be active in the community. All branches of the Tufts umbrella (University, Medical Center, Shared Services) were all present at the meeting
- There will be one more meeting after a comment period about the design guidelines then they are anticipating a RFP to come out by mid/late summer.

The community in Chinatown is not afraid of height. We'll take height to get more affordable housing. BPDA is well aware of this, and often comments on it as an outlier in Boston.

I actually forgot to mention two things. The BPDA owns this land, and they are not looking to sell it like the 115 Winthrop Project. Whatever project goes here it is almost guaranteed to be a ground lease with the BPDA. Also, public subsidies would be included in any financial package for a structure going up here.

In NYC, too, demographically Asians, especially Chinese, are the most YIMBY group. You see this especially in immigrant and 2nd-3rd gen neighborhoods

In NYC, too, demographically Asians, especially Chinese, are the most YIMBY group. You see this especially in immigrant and 2nd-3rd gen neighborhoods

Too be fair, chinatowns across the country are probably ripe for gentrification due to slow development progress over the years. I know this forum has had plenty of discussion about bostons Chinatown gentrification. The longtime residents are worried about being pushed out. I would say that is the lone reason to be a NIMBY. The bay village was worried about a shadow on a tiny tiny park, the Chinatown residents were worried about the early generations losing their longtime homes, sadly, I wonder which of these two problems will be discussed more :/. While I didn't agree some remarks of the residents (one wanted the building to have a stipulation that the affordable housing be just for people of Chinatown residency or Asian decent), the thought of the developments causing these longtime residents to lose their home is also a reasonable concern.

While I didn't agree some remarks of the residents (one wanted the building to have a stipulation that the affordable housing be just for people of Chinatown residency or Asian decent), the thought of the developments causing these longtime residents to lose their home is also a reasonable concern.

A lot of this sentiment is not due to current displacement; it is due to the massive historical displacement in the general Chinatown area caused by 1960's era urban renewal and highway construction (half of the housing in Chinatown was destroyed). (Urban renewal did not just bulldoze the West End!).

The sentiment as stated is illegal, and will never happen (violates fair housing laws), but there has been past consideration given to past residents and their immediate descendents (regardless of race, origin, it was not just Chinese-Americans who were displaced) who could prove displacement due to the 1960's practices. This has generally been done as preferred positioning in the housing lottery for affordable units.

City seeks affordable housing for Midtown

The Boston Planning & Development Agency is seeking proposals for a 29,153-square-foot parcel at 290 Tremont St. It’s requiring housing be built on the site, with an emphasis on family-sized units. At least 50 percent of them must be available to lower-income buyers.

The BPDA has no estimates of how many housing units could fit on the site. The building is limited to a height of 360 feet and a floor area ratio of 20.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...city_seeks_affordable_housing_for_midtown?amp

Fuck the herald for using the term “midtown”. If anyone should be acutely aware of bullshit, chamber of commerce & politician driven yuppie gentrification names, it should be them.

Calling the Theater District... Midtown... is just weird. It's not even gentrification. The area already has a posh name. WTF Herald?

What a joke. No developer bid on this last time because there was no possibility for profit. Make no mistake: the goal here is to model chinatown (and Boston) after Maoist China. The idea that Chinatown residents have a "right to stay" is communist in every way.

How is there "no possibility" of profit? Usually the allocation of a businesses resources are for the most profitable opportunities, that doesn't mean that what gets passed up on is unprofitable.

What a joke. No developer bid on this last time because there was no possibility for profit. Make no mistake: the goal here is to model chinatown (and Boston) after Maoist China. The idea that Chinatown residents have a "right to stay" is communist in every way.

People don't have a right to build whatever they want either. It's a representative democracy. Chill out.

How is there "no possibility" of profit? Usually the allocation of a businesses resources are for the most profitable opportunities, that doesn't mean that what gets passed up on is unprofitable.

Well, this IS Boston. On top of the 50% affordable housing, they still get to go through the typical ringer, especially for the extra height. So... build a park, fund a school, pay off some neighborhood associations, wait 5 years to break ground.... And boom, no more profit, and the building never happens.

That's just the skeptical side of me talking, but this city has a track record that lends itself to skepticism!

Yes, clearly the objective is to make Boston into pre-reform China. It'll be a spitting image.

Calling the Theater District... Midtown... is just weird. It's not even gentrification. The area already has a posh name. WTF Herald?

I haven't been able to find a paper copy of the original (I think it may have been destroyed in the BPL flood over a decade ago), but there was a "Midtown Cultural District Plan" developed in 1988 by the BRA. Much of it was codified in Article 38 of the city's zoning (which uses the same name).

It's not a new name for the area.

::sigh:: we're not going to go through the history of the "midtown" moniker again, I forbid it.

Pick up a history book. Meaning, check out archive.org and search "midtown cultural district".

Just as an FYI, as someone who has been going to the community meetings for this project, this project will get done. a lot of the talk on the street is MP is going to be partnering with community groups to bring their affordable units from Winthrop Tower here (as they proposed all would be off site from the new tower of course). 50% is also very doable, just look at the Beverly over in the Bullfinch Triangle. If I'm not mistaken that is ALL affordable housing

Just as an FYI, as someone who has been going to the community meetings for this project, this project will get done. a lot of the talk on the street is MP is going to be partnering with community groups to bring their affordable units from Winthrop Tower here (as they proposed all would be off site from the new tower of course). 50% is also very doable, just look at the Beverly over in the Bullfinch Triangle. If I'm not mistaken that is ALL affordable housing

Agreed. And One Greenway, not far from this project, is over 50% affordable as well. Likely going to be the same community developer ACDC partnering with Millennium.

Side note though, The Beverly is 100% affordable., but at a much higher AMI level. Parcel 12 is pushing for some very low income units in the mix.

Great PR move for Millennium... will speed up construction at 115 Winthrop. MP once again showing how it's done.

FAR of 20 on a 30k sqft parcel is a lot of apartments...if the city gives the land away for cheap, there's no reason they can't require high affordability

9 years and barely onto the second page. Very impressive.

Edit: top of page 3...

Back