Parcel R-1 | Chinatown

For those out of the loop since the Chinatown library branch was planned as part of the Parcel P-12 development on Tremont St.: that project was contingent on the developer bribe off-site affordable housing funds from Winthrop Center. The COVID-related redesign of that building, which reduced a 2nd residential tower, proportionally shrunk Millennium's contributions and rendered that project unviable in the short-to-medium-term.

I believe R-1 has a simpler developmental path because of an agreement for ownership transfer of the parking lot from Tufts to the BPDA/DND, and this was actually the original preferred site for a library by the community anyway. In a community meeting last November, several different wishlist items for the property were expressed:
  • Permanent library branch and community space
  • Affordable housing (specifically affordable by Chinatown AMI)
  • Publicly-accessible greenspace
  • Avoiding blocking sunlight to nearby facing residential units on Harvard Street or 66 Hudson
  • Affordable parking for the neighborhood

Interestingly, this project only includes about 2/3rds of the parking lot on the side closest to the existing Kneeland building. The remaining 1/3 facing Harvard St. is owned by another party (a church?) who did not engage the developer when they sought to acquire it. This is why a "ghost building" is rendered in these shots.

I think this is actually the style of building that looks good with staggered windows because of the angles of the building created by the opening. Overall I think its a nice addition. Nice colors too.

Very cool. Hope this pencils well....This has long been an eyesore vacant lot. The height is good for setting Chinatown redevelopment precedent too..

Interestingly, this project only includes about 2/3rds of the parking lot on the side closest to the existing Kneeland building. The remaining 1/3 facing Harvard St. is owned by another party (a church?) who did not engage the developer when they sought to acquire it. This is why a "ghost building" is rendered in these shots.
Really frustrating that the church would not play nice with the empty lots. It is a big impediment to the design of this building.
The parcels along Harvard Street are all owned by the Chinese Christian Church (a series of former row house parcels).

Last edited:
12 floors, 158' tall. Not sure how feasible a 12 storey living wall will be but one can dream that it won't get VE'd out, right?

via PNF: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/mhd7lfl7wqvsra2umzsg4ah19a43kr0x

1663005868787.png

1663005895199.png

1663005941920.png

The Chinatown Community Land Trust has reached out to the Chinese Christian Church of New England (currently located on Beacon Street in Brookline) to explore the potential purchase of the remaining strip of parking lot, with the goal of developing it into a public green space for the particular benefit of neighborhood children and families. No clue what the odds of success there are, but it would be a great additional impact of this project.

The adjacent streets Hudson and Tyler are also part of a Neighborhood Slow Streets plan, with multiple speed humps being installed directly next to Parcel R-1 on Hudson Street. Hudson is commonly used as a reckless speedway from Kneeland to the Pike or I-93 onramps, despite Albany Street a block to the East providing both functions on a non-residential street, so hopefully traffic calming deters those uses before a kid gets hit crossing from 66 Hudson to the future library.

By the way, in the latest iteration, it's all green - the tan brick has been replaced by the same green that's in the other half.

I find it odd that it's not even as tall as the building next door. Would have thought at least matching that height would be "easy".

Back