Park Plaza's $95 million renovation | Back Bay

stellarfun

Reaction score
Now underway, to be completed next year.

Article and photos here

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...L/story.html?p1=Article_Facet_Related_Article

HotelStatler_3.jpg

From 1926. Too many automobiles, even back then.

Re: Park Plaza's $95 million renovation

They should go back to it's original name. :)

The renovations look absolutely awful. Way to ruin the character with sterile whiteness.

Agreed. I used to love that lobby with the dark paneling and the piano going in the back -- one of the places in the city where you felt like you were somewhere. Ditto the grand ballroom with its columns and side balconies. Hopefully they didn't swap out everything in there for aluminum panels and programmable LEDs. I saw at least one original chandelier among the photos, so maybe there's hope.

This sleek-to-be-sleek look is how our decade will be parodied 25 years from now on whatever exists in lieu of the traditional sitcom by then.

Honestly, it already looks dated (didn't we do this in the 80s along with big hair and brick-sized mobile phones?).

When I was in college, commuting for 4 years from Woburn to B.U., I used to go to the Statler lobby to wait for my bus from the Trailways terminal back home. It was a warm and cozy place back then when plenty of couches and quiet mood music made a winter's day seem a bit more civilized. I guess there's no going back to a more genteel civilization. I suppose the lobby will now be filled with rock music and busy, phone-driven guests.

^good thing cause waiting outside the Trail ways/Greyhound building back in those day could get u a date with a nice old man driving a Mercedes from Newton :)

The hotel has never been a "grande dame" hotel as claimed in the article. It has always been a large, commercial traveler kind of place, akin to a British railroad station hotel, or the Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan. Never got as dumpy as the Pennsylvania did.

Perfect place to stay for the 1940 American Legion Convention. Probably a half step up from the Elks Hotel, but similar in finish.

Most of the notables cited in the story probably had fundraisers in the usefully large but not overly ostentatious ballroom. I doubt they stayed there because the accommodation was better than the Ritz, Copley Plaza, Somerset or Parker House.

The hotel has never been a "grande dame" hotel as claimed in the article. It has always been a large, commercial traveler kind of place, akin to a British railroad station hotel, or the Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan. Never got as dumpy as the Pennsylvania did.

Perfect place to stay for the 1940 American Legion Convention. Probably a half step up from the Elks Hotel, but similar in finish.

Most of the notables cited in the story probably had fundraisers in the usefully large but not overly ostentatious ballroom. I doubt they stayed there because the accommodation was better than the Ritz, Copley Plaza, Somerset or Parker House.

Tobyjug -- maybe for the past few decades -- but back when it was new it must have been something -- Churchill might have stayed in a "British Railroad Station Hotel" -- but Fidel -- for him only the best of the best

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...L/story.html?p1=Article_Facet_Related_Article

Once-glamorous Park Plaza gets a $95 million makeover

DINA RUDICK/GLOBE STAFF

By Taryn LunaGLOBE CORRESPONDENT MARCH 11, 2015

When the Statler Hotel, now the Park Plaza, opened in 1927, it was the largest hotel in New England and the first in the country to offer in-room radios. For decades, the union property was the epicenter of Boston’s Democratic political scene, frequented by presidents from Franklin D. Roosevelt to John F. Kennedy, who sat under Baccarat crystal chandeliers at events in the hotel’s opulent Versailles-style ballroom.....

The hotel was built by Ellsworth Milton Statler, one of America’s first hoteliers and a developer known for state-of-the-art amenities.

Boston’s elite flocked to the hotel’s glamorous opening gala, wowed by the Spanish Renaissance motif, gold-leaf coffered ceilings, and floor tiles imported from Spain. The radio system broadcast the evening’s entertainment: four orchestras and performances by a soprano and a quartet.

As a hotel with a union workforce, the Park Plaza was the place Democratic politicians rested their heads while in Boston, and it was a popular campaign party spot on election nights.

Its famous guests included the likes of Winston Churchill, Harry Truman, Barack Obama, and Fidel Castro, as well as cinema greats Judy Garland and Spike Lee. Microsoft founder Bill Gates slept there, as did legendary athletes Muhammad Ali and Larry Bird.

“It was a premier hotel, and it always had that cachet about it,” said Paul Sacco, president of the Massachusetts Lodging Association. “It’s one of those classic Boston hotels with an incredible heritage."

Back