Patriot Place | Foxboro

Hey instead of staying home and watching the game on our TV screen, let's go to the stadium and watch it on the huge screen there (and pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege!) I thought the point of going to see things in person was to get away from screens.

I wonder if the new scoreboard will be a quarterback and kicker's best friend during blustery games? Would think the stadium exterior now being almost totally enclosed on that end may help Mac Jones put a little more zip on his downfield throws in windy conditions!

I wonder if the new scoreboard will be a quarterback and kicker's best friend during blustery games? Would think the stadium exterior now being almost totally enclosed on that end may help Mac Jones put a little more zip on his downfield throws in windy conditions!

That's the difference it makes on the field - the wind and the noise. The Pats had a domianting home field advantage during the Brady years with a stadium that let all the crowd noise escape - imagine what it would have been like if they'd had this then. Teams like the Seahawks and Chiefs have designed their stadiums acoustically to be too loud for the opponent to operate in (it's kind of like... well... cheating).

Im really hoping that what is essentially a giant wall/reflector will help keep the noise in a lot better. They also expanded the screen at the other side a couple years ago so its going to be much more enclosed now than it was before.

Hey instead of staying home and watching the game on our TV screen, let's go to the stadium and watch it on the huge screen there (and pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege!) I thought the point of going to see things in person was to get away from screens.

Thats definitely the point but its also nice to have replays up on the screen for things that happened too fast, a close up look at whether someone crossed the first down/end zone line..etc. In my case where I mostly go to gillette for supercross races its impossible to see everything going on the track at once so its nice to have replays up on the screen for passes, crashes, holeshots..etc.

The irony here is that football is really hard to watch live, and much clearer on TV.
Yep, and particularly for anybody sitting in the "cheap" seats, this will be a great add-on. People sit in those seats to experience the atmosphere, but they can't see the game very well. This will fix that. I have a few concerts coming up at Gillette, and I bet the screen will make for a much more vivid experience.

Yep, and particularly for anybody sitting in the "cheap" seats, this will be a great add-on. People sit in those seats to experience the atmosphere, but they can't see the game very well. This will fix that. I have a few concerts coming up at Gillette, and I bet the screen will make for a much more vivid experience.

I would totally do this.

As it relates to concerts, that's an excellent point. As it relates to football games... I don't think people in the cheap seats care if they can see anything - they have phones that can stream replays - they're there for the atmosphere. To the extent that this makes the stadium louder and more exciting to be in, it's a help.

A close up look at whether someone crossed the first down/end zone line..etc.

Maybe for supercross. At a Patriots game I don't think there's much demand for objective analysis... are the Patriots on offense? Then it was clearly a touchdown! :)

I am wondering if either Wegmans or Whole Foods would eye a location in here. Wegmans was in deep negotiations to open a location in Franklin right off exit 16 (cannot remember what number it is now with the re-numbering) and they got outbid. This would allow them a location south of Boston. The Foxboro/Mansfield/Plainville area is a dead zone of sorts for Whole Foods too. Closet location is Bellingham or Dedham.

A while back I noticed there was a Whole listed as a tenant in the new emerald shops development in north Attleboro across from the mall but that was during the pandemic and it has since disappeared.

There was also a market basket listed as a retail anchor in a site proposal by rt1/495 interchange in Wrenthem across from the new development there as well.

what would be awesome is a Dave’s marketplace too. The one in Cumberland is far enough that I don’t go there regularly from NA.

The irony here is that football is really hard to watch live, and much clearer on TV.

Besides the atmosphere, there are other advantages to being at the stadium and watching live. An example would be with mid to long level pass plays. On these plays, at the game you can see the quarterback and the receivers at the same time (especially in the upper levels). Seeing the whole field live, you can anticipate (and see) a receiver getting open. You see the quarterback realizing this, you see throw, the entire flight of the ball, the receiver running towards the spot where the ball will end up, and the result of the play (a catch, a drop, an interception, a poorly thrown ball...). And you can see this all in one view. On TV you'll see the quarterback make the throw, and then the camera scan to the receiver, or another camera picking the receiver up. On the clear TV, you won't see the play actually developing to experience the anticipation of the result all in one view.

*edit - Having said that it's still a great experience from my living room as well.

Besides the atmosphere, there are other advantages to being at the stadium and watching live. An example would be with mid to long level pass plays. On these plays, at the game you can see the quarterback and the receivers at the same time (especially in the upper levels). Seeing the whole field live, you can anticipate (and see) a receiver getting open. You see the quarterback realizing this, you see throw, the entire flight of the ball, the receiver running towards the spot where the ball will end up, and the result of the play (a catch, a drop, an interception, a poorly thrown ball...). And you can see this all in one view. On TV you'll see the quarterback make the throw, and then the camera scan to the receiver, or another camera picking the receiver up. On the clear TV, you won't see the play actually developing to experience the anticipation of the result all in one view.

We go to 2-3 games per year with friends who are season ticket holders. Beyond what everyone has already said about the atmosphere/experience, my favorite thing about seeing it in person is getting the consistent whole-field view. If you're a fan of the game, you can really get into the chess match of defensive and offensive formations, pre-snap adjustments, etc. because you can see it all happening at once. It was great with Brady because so much of his game was reading defenses and finding ways to exploit them. I love breaking this stuff down with my neighbors in the stands.

But I'm more than happy to watch in my living room from November through Jan/Feb. The frigid cold negates any of the advantages of being there.

Much ads

1691765639348.png

Link

Viewing the previous pic (and thanks for uploading that) I see now why they invested in the jumbo screen, more room for advertising. 😉

Its a shame that a stadium with nose bleeds that far away from the field does not even seat 70k. I would have preferred the Krafts add about 10k more seats than add a massive scoreboard. Now get going on a new Rev soccer stadium!

There are only 8 NFL stadiums with smaller capacities than Gillette. However, a few of the newest and most modern venues actually seat less with 65K being the current sweet spot. My mild annoyance with Gillette is that it does not have a covered or retractible roof in one of the coldest areas of the country. I get the whole let's make the visiting teams suffer like they do in Buffalo and Green Bay but at least provide some cover from the elements for your fan base.

I know what you mean regarding a domed stadium. I remember back in the early 80s there was some talk of building a dome in Boston. Glad they shot that down. Now I love an outdoor venue for football, but at least make it reflective of the region/area. The lighthouse is a cute feature, but at the end of the day, but it is beyond cliché. Now for the volume issue, New England fans are not known to sit on their hands, yet the Pats have one of the quietest stadiums in the NFL. Those upper-deck seats have to be some of the worst seats in the NFL- for sight lines and being close to the field of play. Is there any plans to add seats to Gillette stadium? Also when is the Soccer stadium getting built?

I know what you mean regarding a domed stadium. I remember back in the early 80s there was some talk of building a dome in Boston. Glad they shot that down. Now I love an outdoor venue for football, but at least make it reflective of the region/area. The lighthouse is a cute feature, but at the end of the day, but it is beyond cliché. Now for the volume issue, New England fans are not known to sit on their hands, yet the Pats have one of the quietest stadiums in the NFL. Those upper-deck seats have to be some of the worst seats in the NFL- for sight lines and being close to the field of play. Is there any plans to add seats to Gillette stadium? Also when is the Soccer stadium getting built?

The main issue with Gillette as it was first built is that they put too much emphasis on the New England design elements - the lighthouse and bridge. That entire end of the stadium was wide open and noise sails right out. If I remember correctly, during the debut of the CMGI Field plans, Kraft said he wanted to put more seats along the sidelines and fewer in the end zones in an effort improve viewing for fans.

I'd like to see the next project be some form of partial roof coverings of the stands, similar to what they have at Lumen Field in Seattle and even Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. That would really keep the noise in and also provide some protection from the rain for fans.

As of right now, there aren't any plans to add seats to the stadium. The Optum field club that opened a few years back removed around 1k seats I believe. The new Bud Light field level club is going to remove a similar amount of seats I believe.

Who knows when the soccer stadium is going to be built.

The thing to keep in mind with Gillette Stadium is it was built with zero public funds outside of infrastructure improvements to rt 1... All MA residents and even outside the state should be extremely happy about that. The Bills stadium got massive amounts of state funding and the state subsequently cut the education budget by the exact same amount. Other stadiums they tax things like hotels, rental cars etc so if you vacation to populated places in the US, you are paying for that stadium. This is one of the biggest wealth redistribution schemes in the country-Multi billionaires in an extremely lucrative business forcing the public to pay for new stadiums that are massive income generators to the owners and nothing goes back to the public. They black mail cities and states against one another.

Kraft attempted to blackmail us too but ultimately he blinked and we won. I dont care what the stadium looks like or what amenities it has or doesnt have, as long as I'm not paying for it. /end rant

Back