Pawtucket-Central Falls MBTA Commuter Rail Station | Pine and Barton Streets | Pawtucket

Reaction score
Work on Rhode Island's newest MBTA commuter rail station is now quickly progressing. The Pawtucket station located near its border with Central Falls will be the fourth MBTA stop in the state joining Providence, TF Green Airport (Warwick), and Wickford Junction (N Kingstown). It is being built just south of the large but abandoned and decaying 1916 train station. Its location on a curve in the tracks (does not meet today's station codes) along with the extorbitent renovation cost made converting the old depot not feasible. A plan for a new station was therefore proposed and construction started. Funding was first approved back in 2016 with the cost now rising to an estimated $58M. Much of the high cost is attributed to construction taking place on the main Amtrak line around a highly active train schedule. After many delays, construction finally fully started back in 2020. The open target date is now sometime in 2022.

Construction Photo: 09-02-2021

20210902_135738.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
The station plan to date has had no parking as it includes just pick up and drop off for buses and cars. This article indicates that some other parking options are likely. The article states that RIDOT has acquired land for 200 spots that should be available upon the station's opening. It however does not elaborate on where it is. It also indicates that other private parking options may be on the horizon. 179 and 200 Conant Street are mentioned. They are however not even in sight of the station as they are a block away behind an old mill complex on Pine Street (see in photo above in background across the street from station) that is being renovated. These lots are located on a narrow street with poor access and egress routes.

Last edited:

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
That bus hub would be a natural place for a TOD set of apartments atop. I think RIDOT would be forgiven for concluding that the best place to park is South Attleboro (its in the direction of most travel demand and "if I have to get in my car, I might as well drive to a cheaper zone"

Reaction score
That bus hub would be a natural place for a TOD set of apartments atop. I think RIDOT would be forgiven for concluding that the best place to park is South Attleboro (its in the direction of most travel demand and "if I have to get in my car, I might as well drive to a cheaper zone"

South Attleboro right off Route 95 at Exit 2 (Newport Ave) is and would continue to be a better option for most Rhode Islanders that choose to drive and park at a station. Parking was however already often in short supply there. Unfortunately, S Attleboro is presently closed as it it was deemed unsafe back in January-2021 and no discernible work has been done since then to remedy its issues even for the short term. In the long term, it was slated for a complete overhaul which would minimally create use issues and possibly even take it off line during reconstruction.

Keep in mind that the Providence line is far and away the most used line by passengers in the MBTA Commuter rail system. Providence, Attleboro, Mansfield, and South Attleboro are each already among the busiest stations outside of Boston.

Last edited:

jklo

Reaction score
South Attleboro right off Route 95 at Exit 2 (Newport Ave) is and would continue to be a better option for most Rhode Islanders that choose to drive and park at a station. Parking was however already often in short supply there. Unfortunately, S Attleboro is presently closed as it it was deemed unsafe back in January-2021 and no discernible work has been done since then to remedy its issues even for the short term. In the long term, it was slated for a complete overhaul which would minimally create use issues and possibly even take it off line during reconstruction.
It was in short supply but there were a lot of spots. MBTA says 579.

Reaction score
This article identifies the property intended for parking that RIDOT bought is at the corner of Pine Street and Goff Avenue which is directly adjacent to the station (just out of sight to the left in the above construction photo). This six acre site was once occupied by an old mill which was destroyed by fire with its remnants later demolished. Its proximity to the station is the best case scenario for parking. It will in initially provide 200 spots with future expansion possible.

Last edited: