Peabody Essex's New Gallery | Salem

Re: Peabody Essex's New Gallery

Ive always wondered how many tourists are confused by the fact that the Peabody Essex museum isn't in either Peabody or Essex. I wonder if people have ever gone to the wrong town for it, like people getting off the T at one of the "Quincy" stops to go to Quincy Market.

I agree that something seems to have excited the board.

Some of this expansion might be to display important things in storage and some to keep up with acquisitions:
During the last several years, the Peabody Essex has ranked among the top museums in the nation for collection acquisitions through purchase and gift.
http://www.pem.org/about/mission_vision

Ive always wondered how many tourists are confused by the fact that the Peabody Essex museum isn't in either Peabody or Essex. I wonder if people have ever gone to the wrong town for it, like people getting off the T at one of the "Quincy" stops to go to Quincy Market.

It's in the Essex County county seat (or was*... don't know if county seats still exist in MA) if that counts as Essex!

Museum History
A Museum of Art and Culture

The roots of the Peabody Essex Museum date to the 1799 founding of the East India Marine Society, an organization of Salem captains and supercargoes who had sailed beyond either the Cape of Good Hope or Cape Horn. The society’s charter included a provision for the establishment of a “cabinet of natural and artificial curiosities,” which is what we today would call a museum. Society members brought to Salem a diverse collection of objects from the northwest coast of America, Asia, Africa, Oceania, India and elsewhere. By 1825, the society moved into its own building, East India Marine Hall, which today contains the original display cases and some of the very first objects collected.

Origins of a name

The East India Marine Society was founded in Salem, in Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem was also home to the Essex Historical Society (founded in 1821), which celebrated the area’s rich community history, and the Essex County Natural History Society (founded in 1833), which focused on the county’s natural wonders. In 1848, these two organizations merged to form the Essex Institute (the “Essex” in the Peabody Essex Museum’s name). This consolidation brought together extensive and far-ranging collections, including natural specimens, ethnological objects, books and historical memorabilia, all focusing on the area in and around Essex County.

In the late 1860s, the Essex Institute refined its mission to the collection and presentation of regional art, history and architecture. In so doing, it transferred its natural history and archaeology collections to the East India Marine Society’s descendent organization, the Peabody Academy of Science (the “Peabody”). In turn, the Peabody, renamed for its great benefactor, the philanthropist George Peabody, transferred its historical collections to the Essex.

In the early 20th century, the Peabody Academy of Science changed its name to the Peabody Museum of Salem and continued to focus on collecting international art and culture. Capitalizing on growing interest in early American architecture and historic preservation, the Essex Institute acquired many important historic houses and was at the forefront of historical interpretation.

With their physical proximity, closely connected boards and overlapping collections, the possibility of consolidating the Essex and the Peabody had been discussed over the years. After in-depth studies showed the benefits of such a merger, the consolidation of these two organizations into the new PEM was effected in July 1992.

Stel -- great summary -- however -- I find it odd that the PEM's oficial history never seems to mention the absorption / merger with the Forbe's family's Museum of the American China Trade (ex of Milton) which provided a lot of the really crowd-pleasing Chinesee export art

These Forbes are not related to Malcolm Forbes of the magazine, even though one is named J. Malcolm Forbes. The branches of this part of the Forbes family tree are quite separate.

The Forbes (of Milton and vicinity) were related to the Emersons, and related to both, through marriage, was Daniel Sharp Ford, who built the building at the corner at Columbus and Berkeley that you can sometimes see in the background of the Liberty Mutual pictures. Ford had the building built to consolidate various functions of his publishing company, which were scattered in different locations in downtown Boston. Very advanced for its time (1892), there were dynamos in the basement, so thus there was incandescent lighting and electric elevators.

The fictional but public name of the publishing company was Perry Mason & Co., and Earle Stanley Gardner growing up [somewhere near Boston] was so engrossed by Ford's magazine that he named his prosecutor after the company.

The J. Malcolm Forbes of Boston had IIRC the largest horse breeding stable on the East Coast a century and a quarter ago. The farm was in Canton, and later became the Prowse Farm, most of which was/is preserved, and the remainder the HQ of a tech company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Malcolm_Forbes

Some day, the PEM may acquire this Salem Library:

http://www.salemathenaeum.net/about.html

salem-athenaeum3.jpg

Last edited:

Nitpick correction: Perry Mason was a defense attorney, not a prosecutor.

The Museum of Fine Art's annual report came out today and list a donation from the van Otterloos of 200+ old master and modern prints.

http://www.mfa.org/annual-report-2011/acquisitionHighlights.html

If you read the article the Globe from February 2011, I wonder if they would feel safe having all the painting in their house now that it's so well publicized. The tour ends in February 2012 unless it's been extended.

When the alarm went off at the home of perhaps the world’s greatest collectors of 17th-century Dutch art, the police raced to the scene. And Marblehead’s finest didn’t like what they saw after entering Eijk and Rose-Marie van Otterloo’s waterfront home. The walls were bare.

Gone was the Cuyp, a sprawling country landscape the North Shore couple had purchased for a few million dollars and kept over the fireplace. Likewise the Weenix and the de Witte, other living-room mainstays.J

With the van Otterloos at their home in Florida that recent winter night, it was left to their son, Sander, to explain the good news.

The works weren’t stolen. They were on loan.

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_ar...he_public_at_the_peabody_essex_museum/?page=1

Last edited:

The Museum of Fine Art's annual report came out today and list a donation from the van Otterloos of 200+ old master and modern prints.

http://www.mfa.org/annual-report-2011/acquisitionHighlights.html

If you read the article the Globe from February 2011, I wonder if they would feel safe having all the painting in their house now that it's so well publicized. The tour ends in February 2012 unless it's been extended.

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_ar...he_public_at_the_peabody_essex_museum/?page=1

the donation was French prints.
The van Otterloo gift consists of more than 200 old master and early modern prints that add new depth to the Museum’s encyclopedic print collection. An exciting aspect of the gift is the strong group of early modern French prints by Pierre Bonnard, Edouard Vuillard, Maurice Denis, Emile Bernard, Armand Seguin, and Aristide Maillol including working proofs for prints already in the collection (Bonnard and Vuillard). The early Maillol lithograph of a laundress prefigures his monumental work in sculpture. The Bonnard bather lithograph is a strong example of the artist’s later work, and, thanks to this extraordinary gift, the Museum has a meaningful collection of Emile Bernard’s prints as exemplified by the hand-colored variant shown here.
They also gave the MFA between $1 and $5 million.

I believe the most valuable paintings are stored in museums. I do recall they said their grandkids played on the old Dutch furniture in their house. I knew somebody who often visited the apartment of a donor to the Met, who lived across from the Met, and said the apartment, which was very large, was like visiting a French or Italian art museum.

kress.JPG

The Museum of Fine Art's annual report came out today and list a donation from the van Otterloos of 200+ old master and modern prints. .....

From the article it sounds as if the MFA might have the inside track on their Dutch stuff

"(Rose-Marie is on PEM’s board of trustees and a board member at the Museum of Fine Arts.).....

About 20 years ago, Eijk van Otterloo approached then-MFA curator Peter Sutton and told him he was thinking of collecting art from his birth country....

Since then, the van Otterloos have gone through many changes, from advisers — Sutton to former Rijksmuseum director Simon Levie and now Mauritshuis director Frederik J. Duparc — to the works themselves. At one point, at Levie’s suggestion, they sold more than a dozen paintings in order to upgrade their collection.....

“We knew this was going to be a huge sacrifice,’’ she said. “We’re really going to miss these paintings. But who is missing them the most are the museums that had them on long-term loan.’’

Over the years, works from the collection have been shown at the National Gallery, Metropolitan Museum of Art, J. Paul Getty Museum, Philadelphia Museum of Art, London’s National Gallery, and Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum.

The MFA has been hit particularly hard by the exhibition. The museum had to remove the couple’s prized Rembrandt “Portrait of Aeltje Uylenburgh,’’ along with eight other works and a piece of furniture.

“It’s such a privilege to live with their paintings that you do miss them when they’re gone,’’ said MFA senior curator Ronni Baer.

She calls the van Otterloo collection “one of the finest, if not the finest, collection of Dutch paintings in private hands.’’

Collectors usually don’t like to talk publicly about where their art may end up, but the “Golden’’ show has the van Otterloos contemplating that very subject. Standing in her study, Rose-Marie raised a series of possibilities.

“Should it stay in Massachusetts? Should Europe have the collection? Belgium?’’

Eijk was more specific.

He said if they were to give it away now, it would probably go to the MFA. But he’s interested in hearing from MFA director Malcolm Rogers about how he might be able to accommodate a library of more than 10,000 Dutch art-history books the couple recently purchased.

The van Otterloos are also considering PEM; the Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, Calif.; and the National Gallery in Washington, at which admission is free, an attractive feature for a couple who say they think a lot about how to make art accessible to the public.

“Look, they probably have the most comprehensive collection of Dutch art assembled in our lifetimes in private hands,’’ said Sutton. “It’s an open secret that everybody would covet the collection.’’

The MFA’s Baer said acquiring the van Otterloo collection would be simply “amazing.’’

“It would lift the quality of our collection of Dutch painting to a whole different level,’’ she said. “It would be institution-changing.’’

But for now, the van Otterloos say they’re not ready to part with their work.

The museum also has a friend or friends in New York who have lent several paintings including the following one now being restored and that will eventually hang in the Koch gallery on long term loan:

http://www.mfa.org/collections/cons...e/conservation-an-action:-allegory of justice

Paul -- they have a lot of friends in a lot of places -- a collassal Juno has been acquired to highlight a new Classical Greek and Roman galllery -- circa 2012/2013

Roman Marble Statue of Juno

Roman, Trajanic or Hadrianic Period
early 2nd century AD
Marble

This majestic sculpture is one of the very few colossal ancient statues found in Rome. Her diadem and drapery identify her as Juno, one of the three most important gods of the Roman state. She was most likely carved in the Trajanic or Hadrianic period for a large-scale civic structure, such as a theater or temple. The goddess is thirteen feet high on her plinth and is the largest classical sculpture in the US. It was purchased in Rome in 1898 by Bostonians Charles and Mary Pratt Sprague from the distinguished Ludovisi collection and brought to their Brookline estate. The goddess arrives at the Museum to be conserved after years spent outdoors and will be a centerpiece of a spectacular gallery devoted to Greek and Roman gods and goddesses.

^^ That's fantastic.

Without going too far off topic (this is a thread about the PEM -- mods, maybe move the last posts there?), I wanted to react to that news and say I'm thrilled to hear the MFA is updating their Ancient World galleries.

Egyptian, Greek and Roman art are among my favorites in any museum, but the MFA in particular (like the Met in NY) has a strong collection in these areas. Unfortunately, the MFA has invested a lot more in recent years on more-flashy/trendy genres like contemporary art, and their Ancient World galleries are looking timeworn, to put it gently. Very glad to hear they'll be redoing the galleries, and I'm also looking forward to some investment into the MFA's great Japanese, Chinese and Indian art collections.

^^ That's fantastic.

Without going too far off topic (this is a thread about the PEM -- mods, maybe move the last posts there?), I wanted to react to that news and say I'm thrilled to hear the MFA is updating their Ancient World galleries.

... and I'm also looking forward to some investment into the MFA's great Japanese, Chinese and Indian art collections.

Itch -- the MFA has a plan of which only the Art of the Americas and Cntemporary are fait acompli

In the next few years the Ancient World is going to be revamped in place (Berakis Wing) -- as well as the Euro-World mostly in the Evans Wing but occupying both floors

I went to a lecture a few weeks ago by Malcolm Rogers. He mentioned there are plans to renovate the galleries of ancient art so I expect this may be in the near future. He also said they need to draw up a master plan for the Asian Wing so I guess this is not in the near future.

The new Wing of the Americas does not have a name yet so if anyone on this board would like to buy the naming rights.

I went to a lecture a few weeks ago by Malcolm Rogers....

The new Wing of the Americas does not have a name yet so if anyone on this board would like to buy the naming rights.

Paul -- I sure hope that it's not another bank -- We already have
Bank of America Plaza on L'Avenue des Artes
State Street on the Fenway

So let's see we could have:
Citizen's Art of the Americas
Soverign --- "to-become Santander" Art of Europe -- a real naming opportunity
"Far" East Cambridge Savings Art of Asia

A very interesting article on how demanding the officials at PEM can be. On working with Safdie on his addition:

'll give you one example: When it came to the selection of brick, we went through a very extensive process to find a brick that worked in many ways. It wasn't the brick he recommended....We wanted dimensionality, texture, some color differentiation. We wanted something that would resonate in a contemporary context and also historically, in relationship to the historical architecture....We built about 20 walls that were 20 feet wide and six feet tall and we looked at 136 kinds of brick before we found the one that we wanted and that worked....
http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegrrl/2011/11/peabody_essex_chooses_rick_mat.html

Back