Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ...

Wyndham Boston Hotel - http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=119237

I didn't know what it was either, though I remember reading somewhere that it used to bethe "City Services Building" or something to that effect. And I didn't know about it for the longest time either; it's tucked away pretty good in the maze of streets east of Post Office Square. One of the few truly Art Deco buildings in all of Boston, and a cool factoid from Emporis is that it's painted 30 different shades from brown at the bottom to light orange at the top.

EDIT: I overlooked this but it's called the Batterymarch Building. Here's a paragraph on it

"The Batterymarch Building, designed by Harold Field Kellogg, a renowned Boston architecture firm, is significant as the first Art Deco skyscraper in Boston, and at the time of its construction in 1928 was the largest office building downtown. The building's most distinctive feature is the innovative use of colored brick (not paint) to create the illusion of height. Thirty different shades of brick were used, beginning with dark brown at the base and progressing to a light buff at the top. The building also has extensive decorative terra cotta detail painted green, red and gold. "

Merper said:
referring to the 10 St. James building, its my impression that 2/3 of the construction surrounding those new parking lots are part of the 'new' construction, meaning it was designed that way from the start.

Could they build out that space? Certainly, its a parking lot, but I don't think it was built with that intention.

You're right. I looked at it on Windows Live Local and it's just the building fronting on Berkeley St. that was already there. Peculiar. My two guesses are they 1) didn't want to overwhelm the existing building width-wise (north-south) and so they kept it within the frame of the tallest part of the old building (unlikely) or, like you suggest, they could be waiting to build out on that space for future expansion. Those two parking lots are about 60 x 160 feet, meaning a total of roughly 19k sq.ft. per floor could be created - definitely not an insignificant amount.

dscf00891fg5.jpg

The thing about that picture, kz1000ps, is that though I know where that location is, it could just as easily be anywhere else in the world. I wonder if that was your intent in taking this shot?

Of course I mean no words of malintent to your photo. 8)

No, you're right -- it could be anywhere that a pink granite-pomo tower went up, and it wasn't really my intention, I just thought the shot was kewwwl. I'll do better to keep things "Boston Style."

Lol. I usually don't see them hanging out on the south side of the Library, plus that was shot back in February -- probably too cold out for them.

So nobody else wants to keep this thread alive, eh?

(yes I am at least 50% Francais Canadien, so I'm allowed to say "eh")

kz1000ps said:

Awesome. I love pictures that show views that very few people will ever see first hand. I love fresh looks at familiar places, like this one.

So, Joe, you like those kind, eh? Well here's some more. I particularly like this one because it looks like the skyline extends off to infinity.

kz1000ps, love how your last four photos seem to randomly show a few of the city's infinite facets, but appear to all be from the very exact same vantage point... Anyways, keep posting them. Good stuff :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back