Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I like "Shave and a Haircut", great pic

IMG_8471a.jpg

I don't know why it jumps out at me, maybe it's because it has more of a subject than just empty space, but still conveys the same desolate feeling. What camera do you use, btw? You really are a master photographer.

BTW, I like "Shave and a Haircut", great pic

[fimg]http://www.desolatemetropolis.com/dm/archives/IMG_8471a.jpg[/img]

I don't know why it jumps out at me, maybe it's because it has more of a subject than just empty space, but still conveys the same desolate feeling. What camera do you use, btw? You really are a master photographer.

Thanks! :D

Shave and a Haircut is almost relevant here because it's from the wing of Worcester State Hospital that survived the fire, which is now demolished. That shot was taken with a 20D, light painted with a maglight, and probably the lens was my 16-35 f2.8L. I also shoot film with a couple of Canon A1's and a Canon EOS 3. Next camera is a 5d mkII. I know what you mean about this shot...I am not the best at capturing little details and items that remind you of the people who were there...I am more into architecture and structure. I try to capture details, just something I need to work on.

Industrial Serenity
IMG_8775a.jpg

^ You just don't see quality craftsmanship and finish-work like this anymore.

Endus, are these pictures really being taken in Boston? Where do you find the abundance of abandoned warehouses?

I've always had a thing for that building, but I wonder if it shouldn't be converted now that it fronts on the Greenway.

I guess the multitudes of picnickers would be disturbed by blaring sirens every 20 minutes...

kennedy--i just saw your Flickr photostream, and added you as a contact. Nice pictures! I miss Chicago, sadly I haven't been there in over 5 years.

Endus, are these pictures really being taken in Boston? Where do you find the abundance of abandoned warehouses?

All the pics I've posted lately are from Parcel N...one abandoned warehouse. I have been all over the country looking for abandoned buildings though...mental hospitals, sanitariums, warehouses, steel mills, automotive plants, train yards, schools, houses....the list goes on and on. I find them mostly through friends and through research and driving around.

Suspended in Sunshine
IMG_8813a.jpg

All the pics I've posted lately are from Parcel N...one abandoned warehouse. I have been all over the country looking for abandoned buildings though...mental hospitals, sanitariums, warehouses, steel mills, automotive plants, train yards, schools, houses....the list goes on and on. I find them mostly through friends and through research and driving around.

Interesting, so what you're doing is similar to Van's urban exploration? I'm enthralled in his pictures of abandoned subway stations and the like-I can't wait for the opportunity to do it myself.

castevens, you really like that old state house, huh?

I find that its location deep within the canyon of "modern" buildings is, well, the opposite of shallow and pedantic. Amazing really. I also am fascinated at how it is the only remaining symbol of British oppression left in America, and the rebellion against that oppression was started a few hundred feet away in Fanueil Hall.

And the other reason it fascinates me is because they built the Weymouth Town Hall to look exactly like it. And I think it's hilarious.

townhall2001.jpg

Interesting, so what you're doing is similar to Van's urban exploration? I'm enthralled in his pictures of abandoned subway stations and the like-I can't wait for the opportunity to do it myself.

Yup. :) Exactly the same. Its a great hobby...hit me with a PM if you're interested in starting out.

it is the only remaining symbol of British oppression left in America, and the rebellion against that oppression was started a few hundred feet away in Fanueil Hall

I chafe at "British oppression", but I'll leave it for another time - and another thread. I always thought the building was more celebrated for being the site of the first reading of the Declaration of Independence, so I'm not quite sure it works as a symbol of that, anyway. And if you're willing to be that anglophobe, well, the Boston Massacre occurred even closer to the State House than the kvetching at Faneuil Hall:

boston_massacre_s.jpg

Rebel propaganda engraved by Paul Revere, 1770, using the exact same perspective as castevens' shot above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back