Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part XVI (2022)

Quoting to move this to the right place

Heading to Mission Hill at 9 am yesterday

51817402415_7aafa3d8dd_b.jpg

51815732177_e9450ee9fe_b.jpg

51817029779_b337494466_b.jpg

1/17

IMG_7790 by David Z, on Flickr

Boston's strangest ecosystem resides below the BU Bridge on the Cambridge side. These weirdos have lived down there for many years now. It looks like 3 different species of geese, living in harmony? I have never seen this type of white goose in my life other than in this specific area.

IMG_7819 by David Z, on Flickr

Boston's strangest ecosystem resides below the BU Bridge on the Cambridge side. These weirdos have lived down there for many years now. It looks like 3 different species of geese, living in harmony? I have never seen this type of white goose in my life other than in this specific area.

The white geese have always fascinated me! They are domestic breeds that were (apparently) once used by the MWRA to guard their facility at Magazine Beach. They have been there for a couple of decades at this point. https://www.bu.edu/articles/2007/the-goose-whisperer/

Some people are... very keen on protecting them: http://www.friendsofthewhitegeese.org/

IMG_7819 by David Z, on Flickr

Those two in the lower center seem like a mixed breed between the white and the Canadian geese?

^ 1000% with you. I hadn't even noticed or thought about it in years, but sitting at a red light yesterday I couldn't help but fall in love with it -- postmodernism is at that point where it's no longer loved or hated but just old and thus susceptible to the proverbial wrecking ball. And while this is nothing more than a lowly convenience store sitting in a sea of parking, at least there's an attempt at artistry here and I'm sure that color palette has cheered up at least a few people over the decades. /soapbox

I had an immediate reaction to the pic of that Richdale store also. Somehow, my brain said "Ice Cream stand!!!"

I wonder if the original use of that building was a a fun ice cream/hot dog stand. This building really does hit above its weight. Funny how some places in very humble settings can rise to higher levels.

Back