Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

Mike

Reaction score
Maybe we should have a new thread for this?

New York real estate giant to build condos, offices at Pier 4
By Casey Ross GLOBE STAFF JANUARY 15, 2015

The former site of Anthony’s Pier 4 has new owners, and they’re thinking a little bigger than popovers.

The New York real estate giant Tishman Speyer has purchased the property for $70 million from New England Development and expects to begin construction this year on two buildings that will contain offices, condominiums, and restaurants.

Its plans also call for a one-acre waterfront park on the spot where Anthony’s stood for half a century. Once one of the country’s busiest eateries, it shut its doors last year.

Tishman Speyer co-chief executive Rob Speyer said the company was drawn to the nine-acre property by its waterfront location and the real estate renaissance that has unfolded around it in recent years.

“We think the Seaport is one of the most exciting mixed-use developments in the country,” Speyer said. “We want to take one of the last sites on the waterfront and do something spectacular.”

-----

Its 13-story office building is being designed by Elkus Manfredi Architects of Boston. Tishman Speyer has hired the architectural firm Diller Scofidio & Renfro of New York to design its condominium building. The nine-story structure will contain 100 luxury units and be designed to make a “dramatic statement” on the waterfront.

more ... http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ffices-pier/qzH7vqkHlYyWJOmfFuDNVJ/story.html

Re: Pier 4 Residential Tower | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

^ Interesting. They hired Diller Scofidio & Renfro to design the condo building to make a “dramatic statement” on the waterfront. DS & R designed the ICA next door. Sounds promising.

This is very exciting. I have been eagerly waiting for the rest of Pier 4 to be developed and no doubt Tishman Speer can do it right. The 13 floor count for office seems consistent with what was originally planned there, and hopefully they'll provide that Quincy Market feel for the Seaport that was originally intended.

^ Interesting. They hired Diller Scofidio & Renfro to design the condo building to make a “dramatic statement” on the waterfront. DS & R designed the ICA next door. Sounds promising.

The do really nice work. Definitely expect something different from what we are accustomed to in Boston. I guess this is Marty's first opportunity to show us if he is serious about pushing the design boundaries.

Re: Pier 4 Commercial-Condo Tower | Seaport

Bad news: likely another Elkus mediocrity.
Great news: DSR! This should up the waterfront design standard by an order of magnitude. Excellent choice.

Here's hoping the fact that Elkus will be staring at this building everyday from their new office location prompts them to provide something above mediocrity.

Being the architects behind the Copley tower, we know they have the ability.

Condos replacing Anthony's Pier 4 unveiled. (Time for a new topic?)

Pier%204%20Resi.jpg

Globe article

Wow. Those steps into the water are awesome too.

Found this as well, but looks like an older render (too bad):

Pier-4-Boston.com-Buildout-Rendering.jpg

wtsnpu.png

Every iteration of this project just keeps getting worse. I really liked this original proposal/sketch.

from the Herald article
A half-acre plaza with a sculptural water feature and tables and chairs for performances and dining would be situated between the condo building and the adjacent Institute of Contemporary Art.

We need a truly distinctive water feature for the Seaport / Innovation District -- something akin to the novelty of the Singapore merlion

history-3.jpg
or
history-4.jpg

and the end of Pier 4 is the perfect location

Thinkin --a Lobstah Rampant [with apologies to Ye Olde State House] with watah a spuhtin from each Claw

whighlander, you get a lot of crap on this forum, but your Merlion point is spot-on. I think I have over 30 Singapore entry visa stamps in my latest passport, and every time I am there, the Merlion statue area at Clarke Quay (there are a bunch of statues throughout the city, this is the most popular one) is just packed with tourists looking to get their pics taken. It's a must-do activity for any first, second, or third time tourist in Singapore. It brings people to Clarke Quay, which has evolved into such a fun, lively public space. And from a marketing/branding perspective, the Merlion is pure gold for Singapore's brand.

A giant lobstah statue-fountain is perfect. Or you could have a cod and a lobster with dual fountains.

worlds largest lobster fountain wd be cool!

Every iteration of this project just keeps getting worse. I really liked this original proposal/sketch.

Agree. This is ShOP (or sHOp, or SHoP, or whatever), right?

In NYC, ShOp is notorious for taking over approved projects, replacing the architect who designed the proposal that was approved, and "updating" the design with something unfortunate and uninspired.

Cf., their East River project (626 First Avenue), which replaced a *fantastic* Richard Meier design that was approved; the Domino Sugar refinery redevelopment (replacing a great Vinoly design - about the only good design Vinoly's ever had); and Atlantic Yards (replacing the exciting Frank Gehry design that was approved).

They're Grade A value engineers who systematically downgrade their designs with each iteration. A rich man's Gene Kaufman (another of NYC's horrendous pet/home-grown "architects").

My girlfriend can do that, too.

Sadly/Hysterically true. But on the plus side, you won't see thtat side from many places in the city. You're mostly goingg to see that side of building if you're in the ICA.

Back