Pinnacle at Central Wharf (Harbor Garage) | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted. I mentioned in my comments that even as a frequent user of the garage, it's time to tear it down and stop with the runaround.

I just left a comment in support of the tower as well. I wasn't aware all this was going on yesterday, but from the sounds of it, I wouldn't have had a good chance to make it into the meeting room anyway.

I think the main concern is, where are Aquarium visitors going to park between the time that the garage is demo'ed and the new spots come online? We could be talking a couple of years. That is the final piece of the (legitimate gripe) puzzle.
Is this a candidate for a partial demo, partial underground construction? Can part of the underground garage be opened before the building on top is completed?

Asking about staging practicality.

I think the main concern is, where are Aquarium visitors going to park between the time that the garage is demo'ed and the new spots come online? We could be talking a couple of years. That is the final piece of the (legitimate gripe) puzzle.

OK, I distinctly remember a floating temporary garage being moored here (to also address Harbor Tower Resident parking deeds) with people entering/exiting from India St (I believe) in previous iterations. Was that abandoned as part of this new plan?

If still part of the plan it would declaw the crux of what I perceive the Aquarium's true motive - preventing anything that disturbs their access to ample, adjacent parking...

Is it normal for aquariums to not own their own parking facilities? I’m surprised that they were comfortable relying so heavily on the privately-owned garage next door.

Excerpts from the PNF with respect to parking and the Aquarium.

The DWMHP offsets specific to the Project Site, as designed, are $10 million in funding to be provided by the Proponent for the design and construction of the public realm improvements associated with the Aquarium’s proposed “Blueway” vision and $300,000 for planning, feasibility assessment, design, engineering and permitting for a signature waterfront park and water transportation gateway at the BPDA-owned Chart House parking lot.

Per the Secretary’s decision, the $10 million contribution toward the Blueway would represent the largest value of an MHP offsetting measure anywhere in the Commonwealth to date.
--------------------------------------------
Protection and Promotion of the New England Aquarium
The application of the amplifications in the DWMHP for the Project Site requires that a legally binding agreement (“MOU”) be signed by the Proponent, the Aquarium, and the City. The MOU will include provisions that address the following principles:

♦ Interim Parking. During construction, the Proponent shall commit to provide parking within reasonable proximity to the Aquarium on weekends (500 spaces) and weekdays (250 spaces) and at a price point consistent with the existing program;
♦ Future Parking. The developer of the Harbor Garage site shall commit to providing parking in the same amounts and timing for the Aquarium in the proposed development; and
♦ Indemnification. The developer of the Harbor Garage site shall commit to ensure the viability of the Aquarium during construction of the proposed development in a manner consistent with the Secretary’s decision, which details a $30,000,000 indemnification framework over the estimated three-year construction period.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Project, as proposed, will reduce the number of parking spaces located at the Site from approximately 1,475 enclosed spaces within the existing parking garage to 1,100 enclosed spaces within the reconfigured garage. [N.B., the surveyor counted 1407 spaces, which included spaces on the ramps.]

Reservation of spaces.
Of the 1100 spaces, 300 are dedicated to the project; 135 of these are reserved for the office component; 150 are for residents of the condos (0.75 spaces per unit), and 12 spaces for retail

300 spaces are set aside for HT residents

Spaces set aside for Aquarium visitors

Pursuant to the DWMHP, 250 spaces will be available to Aquarium visitors specifically on weekdays between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and 500 spaces will be available to Aquarium visitors at all other times

Spaces available for the general public.

Weekday day: 612 spaces (250 of these are set aside for Aquarium visitors)
Weeknight: 633 spaces
Weekend day: 744 spaces (500 of these are set aside for Aquarium visitors)

Elsewhere in the PNF, Chiofaro said the reduction from 1400+ spaces to 1100 spaces is due to a pronounced decrease in demand for downtown parking, or at least parking in this area.

Given the above, I fail to understand where exactly the current Director of the Aquarium is coming from . --- other than she came from Washington DC, and perhaps her worldview and apparent inability to honor or even recognize prior commitments stems from her experience working in the toxic environment of the Nation's Capital. If so, she should return there.

I also don't get what the endgame is here for the NEAQ. Are they saying the garage should stay as is until the sea rises up to swallow both it and the aquarium? And somehow they believe that will enhance the waterfront experience??? Its like they're trying to create leverage with the threat of delays and lawsuits when in fact the lawsuits have already been filed and aside from a set aside for parking what else do they think they're entitled to out of his project?

Given the above, I fail to understand where exactly the current Director of the Aquarium is coming from . --- other than she came from Washington DC, and perhaps her worldview and apparent inability to honor or even recognize prior commitments stems from her experience working in the toxic environment of the Nation's Capital. If so, she should return there.
It is the creed of the NIMBY's: Nothing must ever change. We have ours so screw you.

Aquariums can’t survive without parking garages. Everyone knows this.

Excerpts from the PNF with respect to parking and the Aquarium.

Reservation of spaces.
Of the 1100 spaces, 300 are dedicated to the project; 135 of these are reserved for the office component; 150 are for residents of the condos (0.75 spaces per unit), and 12 spaces for retail

300 spaces are set aside for HT residents

Spaces set aside for Aquarium visitors

Pursuant to the DWMHP, 250 spaces will be available to Aquarium visitors specifically on weekdays between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and 500 spaces will be available to Aquarium visitors at all other times

Spaces available for the general public.

Weekday day: 612 spaces (250 of these are set aside for Aquarium visitors)
Weeknight: 633 spaces
Weekend day: 744 spaces (500 of these are set aside for Aquarium visitors)

Elsewhere in the PNF, Chiofaro said the reduction from 1400+ spaces to 1100 spaces is due to a pronounced decrease in demand for downtown parking, or at least parking in this area.

Thanks for pulling that out! Puts me more firmly in the pro-tower camp.

I accidentally clicked on the comments section of one of the numerous articles on facebook earlier and normally I just ignore them but I had to share this one:

-they shouldn't build this because the firefighters need a break.

They're really grasping here...

""Climate change is at the heart of our concerns about this development. … This is about the future of our downtown waterfront.""

Now the NIMBY's will claim that any new development will contribute to climate change. The newest monkey wrench in their toolbox.

Last edited:
""Climate change is at the heart of our concerns about this development. … This is about the future of our downtown waterfront.""

Now the NIMBY's will claim that any new development will contribute to climate change. The newest monkey wrench in their toolbox.

Well that's just a bunch of malarkey, Vikki.

Email from BPDA just now:

Harbor Garage Redevelopment
70 East India Row
Open House

Description: The BPDA is hosting an open house meeting on the Harbor Garage Development project. Members of the development team and BPDA staff will be on hand to discuss the following topics:

• Climate change resiliency and sustainability
  • Building design and land use
  • Site plan and open space
  • Transportation/site access
There will be no formal presentation; attendees can come and go at their convenience. If you cannot attend this meeting, an identical open house will be held on Monday, March 23.
[more]

Date/Time: Monday, 03/16/2020 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Location: BPDA Board Room, 9th Floor, One City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201

Email from BPDA just now:
Harbor Garage Redevelopment
70 East India Row
Open House

Description: The BPDA is hosting an open house meeting on the Harbor Garage Development project. Members of the development team and BPDA staff will be on hand to discuss the following topics:
  • Climate change resiliency and sustainability
  • Building design and land use
  • Site plan and open space
  • Transportation/site access
There will be no formal presentation; attendees can come and go at their convenience. If you cannot attend this meeting, an identical open house will be held on Monday, March 23.
[more]
IMO, this presentation is a bit of 'pushback' by the BPDA and RHDC/Chiofaro against the poorly-formed views expressed by the Aquarium director, and those supporting her views.

To wit,
Climate change resiliency. The base level of the proposed tower will be 21.5 feet, about four feet higher than the present garage. At 21.5 feet, it will be six+ feet higher than the highest tide ever recorded in Boston of 15.2 feet. This elevation is above the minimum required by the city for new harborside buildings. The Aquarium, to my knowledge, has done nothing to prepare for rising sea levels and higher tides. As the old adage goes, 'People in glass houses..........'

Open Space Presently, the garage occupies almost the entire land parcel. After the proposed tower is built, there will be about 30,000 sq ft of open space, slightly more than 50 percent of the parcel. The open space requirement is dictated by the Commonwealth as a condition of receiving Chapter 91 approval. To be sure, the new open space will not create a viewshed from Atlantic Ave to the open water of the harbor, as that view is blocked by the Aquarium.
Several years ago, the MBTA parking garage at Quincy Center experienced a structural failure. That garage was about 40 years old, and not as proximate to the marine environment as the Harbor Garage. In a year or so, the Harbor Garage will be 50 years old, and probably at or past its design life.

At the time the Harbor Garage was built, HT was built as rental 'affordable' housing.
...[Re: construction of HT] Cheaper materials were also subbed in. The kinds of windows that got installed, according to Cobb, were inferior to the ones he had specified, and the unsealed concrete that made up the exterior of the buildings—and held the windows in place—was subpar, too, prone to crumbling and staining.

So if the current Harbor Garage is not demolished, how much longer will it be before it too is shut because it is structurally unsafe? And what will the Aquarium and Aquarium visitors do then?

IMO, this presentation is a bit of 'pushback' by the BPDA and RHDC/Chiofaro against the poorly-formed views expressed by the Aquarium director, and those supporting her views.

To wit,
Climate change resiliency. The base level of the proposed tower will be 21.5 feet, about four feet higher than the present garage. At 21.5 feet, it will be six+ feet higher than the highest tide ever recorded in Boston of 15.2 feet. This elevation is above the minimum required by the city for new harborside buildings. The Aquarium, to my knowledge, has done nothing to prepare for rising sea levels and higher tides. As the old adage goes, 'People in glass houses..........'

Open Space Presently, the garage occupies almost the entire land parcel. After the proposed tower is built, there will be about 30,000 sq ft of open space, slightly more than 50 percent of the parcel. The open space requirement is dictated by the Commonwealth as a condition of receiving Chapter 91 approval. To be sure, the new open space will not create a viewshed from Atlantic Ave to the open water of the harbor, as that view is blocked by the Aquarium.
Several years ago, the MBTA parking garage at Quincy Center experienced a structural failure. That garage was about 40 years old, and not as proximate to the marine environment as the Harbor Garage. In a year or so, the Harbor Garage will be 50 years old, and probably at or past its design life.

At the time the Harbor Garage was built, HT was built as rental 'affordable' housing.

So if the current Harbor Garage is not demolished, how much longer will it be before it too is shut because it is structurally unsafe? And what will the Aquarium and Aquarium visitors do then?
The article and information contained therein is from 2008. The pipe replacement has already taken place; I knew one of the foremen for this job. It was a horror show because the piping was behind concrete walls. Yet I agree that the garage will need inevitable major repairs one day.

Honestly, tobyjug is right. Aquariums are cruel and usually unethical; borderline illegal with regards to their process and justifications of detainment. I don't mean to tangent off but to me, NE Aquarium has benefited in so many ways privately and publicly for years. They want their cake and to eat it too. Their argument is inherently selfish in the end...and those at Harbor Towers, don't even...

I have submitted my support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back