Pinnacle at Central Wharf (Harbor Garage) | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we live feed the meeting?
No live stream on the Boston City Live TV. Public Improvement Commission Hearing 2-27-20 is very interesting how contentious utilities can be. Can't wait to see the video of tonight's tower meeting.

No live stream on the Boston City Live TV. Public Improvement Commission Hearing 2-27-20 is very interesting how contentious utilities can be. Can't wait to see the video of tonight's tower meeting.

According to Tim Logan's twitter, the meeting had nowhere near enough capacity. People are arguing with each other outside the room.

Hopefully the first 250 people to slip through the door weren't all Harbor Towers residents!

Thank You Guys, I count 13 people on here + 5 people on Twitter who submitted comments for support of the project. So maybe the NEAQ tweet helped the project? But we can only assume that most of the folk in the room are Harbor Tower residents (Nayers), so I urge everyone to spread the word about the comment period.

Weirdest meeting I've ever been to. 250 or so get in (including many that could not at first). After presentation,bwe are expecting hours of comments. only 14 got up to make comments.
CLF, excuse me, the CEO of NEAq reads anti letter for first comment. Then Boston harbor now gives tepid support and optimism. After that a hodge podge of people make comments supporting and against. Only real against comment is that it's too big/too tall. Nothing really of substance at all.
Very surprising that many wearing anti stickers were of younger generation.

True. The surprising part is that they don't usually show up for events like this though. So who was the organizing force that got them to show up but didn't inspire them enough to have anything to say?

Last edited:
It's ugly and will reduce the viability of the aquarium in Boston.

Despite what people might hope for the future of mass transit and autonomous cars... it isn't here yet and lack of proximity of parking is going to negatively impact membership and visits to the aquarium for everyone outside of the immediate area.

And it's ugly. Go back to the previous design.

And deliver $50 million to the aquarium.

Appointed as director in 2018, the head of the New England Aquarium is new to Boston. She was not around during the early and middle years of this project. Because she is new, she apparently doesn't feel bound by understandings or quasi agreements reached previously between the Aquarium and Chiofaro. As such, I would characterize her as an interloper.

Her background is in advertising, p. r., and lobbying;, her undergraduate degree is in communications, not in a science field. She grew up in the Florida panhandle and spent much of her career in Washington DC.

Appointed as director in 2018, the head of the New England Aquarium is new to Boston. She was not around during the early and middle years of this project. Because she is new, she apparently doesn't feel bound by understandings or quasi agreements reached previously between the Aquarium and Chiofaro. As such, I would characterize her as an interloper.

Her background is in advertising, p. r., and lobbying;, her undergraduate degree is in communications, not in a science field. She grew up in the Florida panhandle and spent much of her career in Washington DC.

Okay, but that might also make her clear-headed. The fact of the matter is that tearing down the garage will reduce visitors to the Aquarium. I support the tower, but there's not really a way around that. It won't ever be true that 100% of their customers take transit.

I don't like them lying about their true interests, and making absurd arguments while they do it, but their actual argument isn't absurd.

Sanders, B, is no NIMBY. As mayor, he helped to spearhead redevelopment up in Burlington. You just wanted to use the opportunity to bash Sanders, B on an unrelated thread.

No - if I wanted to bash him on Suffolk Downs, I'd do it there. Our Revolution has been supporting NIMBY efforts all over the Boston Area for the past 5 years.

Last edited:
Despite what people might hope for the future of mass transit and autonomous cars... it isn't here yet and lack of proximity of parking is going to negatively impact membership and visits to the aquarium for everyone outside of the immediate area.
The fact of the matter is that tearing down the garage will reduce visitors to the Aquarium. I support the tower, but there's not really a way around that. It won't ever be true that 100% of their customers take transit.
who's fact is that?
as part of the MHP, the garage is required to reserve 250 spaces for the aquarium during weekdays and 500 spaces during evenings and weekends.
this is more than what they are currently using during those times.
for whats it worth, the traffic study doesnt include an increase in the percentage use (mode share) of transit. we're not expecting 100% of their customers to take transit in the future. just for the current mode share to stay consistent. any shift towards transit would be a bonus (for both traffic and parking demand).
it also doesnt include an increase in use by ride share (whether autonomous or not) which would further reduce parking demand. its all based on existing numbers even though all the data from the previous 5+ years shows a steady and consistent decline in downtown parking demand.

I think the main concern is, where are Aquarium visitors going to park between the time that the garage is demo'ed and the new spots come online? We could be talking a couple of years. That is the final piece of the (legitimate gripe) puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back