Playing Tour Guide

kennedy

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip to Boston with a school group this weekend. We're staying at the Park Plaza, and I'm looking to suggest some places for dinner and lunch that aren't chains that can be had in St. Louis. We're likely to check out Legal Sea Foods, but I was trying to think of some places within 10 minutes walk that would be good for a small group to check out. Upper Crust Pizza is another one we'll probably check out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Durgin-Park is uber-touristy but is also one-of-a-kind and very Bostonian.

I had promised myself not to just bring everyone to Faneuil Hall, even though that's the only thing anyone had heard of (except the one girl who remarked, "Boston? Like there's anything to do there." Irked the hell out of me.) But Durgin-Park does look damn good. I remembered the Black Rose, but that may be too much of a bar for a school crowd.

North End!

What's the nature of the trip? Sounds pretty sweet for something school related. Also I'm assuming it's optional, so what's up with the irksome girl?

The north end is always a crowd pleaser. Everybody likes pastries.

For lunch, why not try japanese? The sushi will be fresher than in st louis.

If you're feeling more adventurous, Boston is the best place in america for quality brazilian food. Sullivan station, then a short walk up broadway for your pick of many.

And nothing says Boston like sports bar. Oh, and dunkin donuts.

I second (or third) the N. End. It's unique - not many neighborhoods like that anywhere in the USA. If on a slim budget, maybe a cheap italian place like Artu or head to Pizzeria Regina. Finish with a cannoli at Modern Pastry etc. and you can't go wrong. You can even walk thru Public Garden, Boston Common and Quincy Market just to give them a quick view of some of the sites.

Finish with a cannoli at Modern Pastry etc. and you can't go wrong.

Good call, commuter guy! Mike's Pastry is for tourists. The Modern is the real deal.

Lucia's is a solid and not-too-pricey option. I'm also a big fan of Maurizio's -- great meal, but small, so it gets crowded at dinner and may not be able to accommodate your group.

If you visit Harvard Square, don't miss Charlie's or Bartley's.

If you want an adventure, take the Blue Line to Maverick (or Airport) and head to Santarpio's. For my money, it's better than Regina's.

Not of drinking age, the trip is for a high school Model U.N. delegation. The irksome girl is just a tad bit bratty and arrogant. We do have very limited time for meals, that's why I was looking for something close by. I think the largest block of time we have for dinner is two hours - the North End might be a stretch, especially with the wait expected at Pizzeria Regina.

Where do you need to be close to aside from the hotel?

I think Parish Cafe is great - but a bit small. Finale is also right there and would likely be a huge hit. L'Osteria is good for North End Italian on a student budget.

Entrees preferably starting around $10-$12 and the maximum would likely be around $22 (enough for a nice piece of fish). Cafe Delux looks pretty good, Yelp doesn't make it sound too welcoming to tourists, but I'll definitely run it by the group.

If you have to stay so close to the Park Plz, maybe stroll down to Post 360. Fairly new and trendy scene, if you or the group is in to that type of thing. Same thing with Teatro on Tremont St. I like Delux better for vibe, but be warned you may feel like your walking into someone's living room if you arrive with a group of teenagers from Missourah. Montien in Theater District is good thai. Jacob Wirths is a great time on a friday night, but the beer flows heavily there too.

Delux is a haven for Boston's Indy scene. I'm "too old" to be a regular, but I still hit it a few times a year. By "tourists" I think they mean yokels in vacation attire on their way to toss a teabag in Boston Harbor.

Good one, Adam -- The Parish Cafe is another great suggestion. Get's mobbed after work-hours. Food's great, inventive.

I don't like the menu at Deluxe. I have the taste of a 16-year old, so take it for what it's worth.

I think Upper Crust sounds perfect. Not as "historic" as Pizzeria Regina but at least it's a local phenomena.

While Maggiano's near Park Plaza isn't historic or even "excellent", it benefits by being close to your hotel plus they are set up to serve family-style, so you can bring a group, easily. It's Italian. It's in the same parking garage as Legal.

People can be fickle about seafood, so I would steer clear of Legal.

Joe's American Bar & Grill on Newbury is not great by any means, but it is conveniently located, good menu, and fair prices. It's burgers and beef.

Just take them to PF Changs in the Prudential Mall or in the State Transportation building (across the street from the Park Plaza); it's cheap and easy. Leaves more time for exploring the Freedom Trail and the Combat Zone.

Back