Playing Tour Guide

Maggiano's is not local, however -- they exist in other cities besides Boston and are not based here. Ditto for PF Changs.

Legal Sea Foods is local and a distinctive feature of our region.

A GREAT small, local, quality, inexpensive lunch spot within walking distance of your hotel is Mike and Patty's in Bay Village-- truly a one of a kind place, with inventive and delicious food served by wonderfully nice people in a kooky, insanely tiny space.

4062393797_32c25f62af_b.jpg

4063133194_bcd50c5602_b.jpg

4062377819_ca1d2c67e8_b.jpg

Also I suggest walking to Chinatown to get Bahn Mi sandwiches at Mike's Bahn Mi, or the mango curry lunch special at My Thai Vegan Cafe--the latter of which is well poised to allow you to stare out the window at an H.H. Richardson designed building while your dining companion blathers on about god knows what.

Last edited:
In reading back through this thread, I'm saddened that none of us have suggested exploring Chinatown. Is it really as defunct as ablarc has said? (sorry, I can't find the old post)...

Yeah John, my number one goal is to avoid the P.F. Chang's and Maggiano's because we have 'em right here in St. Louis. I was definitely considering Joe's, only because I've been there quite a few times. As much as I want Chinatown to succeed, I'm a bit worried it might to too "defunct" for my peers. Remember, we're coming from suburban St. Louis. We like make-believe playground cities that we can come visit for baseball games a few hours out of the year.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far, very helpful. Even if I can't get to these places this weekend, I'm definitely going to eat a few of these over the summer.

Chinatown is not in any way defunct, as you'll discover if you try going there on a Sunday morning for dim sum.

I believe you - can you make any suggestions on where to eat?

I second Peach Farm, and also recommend Xinh Xinh, Rainbow Cafe, Taiwan Cafe, Mei Sum Bakery for great Bahn Mi (vietnamese sandwiches).... i probably have only been to about half of the restaurants there, there is a great density, and for adventurous eaters it is a goldmine.

The original Pizzeria Regina on Thacher Street in the North End. They will think they're in medieval Paris.

They used to automatically drown the pizza in olive oil, but now you have to ask for it.

In reading back through this thread, I'm saddened that none of us have suggested exploring Chinatown. Is it really as defunct as ablarc has said? (sorry, I can't find the old post)...

Chinatown is not in any way defunct, as you'll discover if you try going there on a Sunday morning for dim sum.
Dim sum is an excellent stand-in for Sunday brunch. Post-dates my experience with Chinatown Boston; they didn't always have it. It's what everyone does on Sunday morning in Hong Kong.

You won't go too wrong with Peach Farm. I recommend going at about 1:30 am.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/peach-farm-boston

Then about 2:45 am shake the alfalfa off your pals at the ex-Blue Diner.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/south-stree...ByRO3gDfWdJBhyftQ/src:search/query:blue diner
Obviously, Toby, you deeply know the charm of Chinatown Boston: it starts to get interesting around 1 am --though this used to be dramatically truer when there was a Combat Zone.

It's not surprising that for The Departed, they:

1. set a late night murder in Chinatown; and

2. re-did the streetscape with extra neon and lights to make it seem a little more interesting.

My take: terminally boring before 1 am.

Unfortunately, it's a school trip run by a paranoid school district. Curfew is 12:45 am, and were locked in the hotel after 11:00 pm.

^^ Weak. I'll bet the women-folk are staying on a different floor too.

You seem like an inventive, resourceful lad. Begin plotting your escape.

Ouch!

Slip the concierge a few bucks and maybe he can fix something up for you.

Oh don't worry I have my own schemes up my sleeve. I don't intend on pushing it too far though, the district is paranoid as the result of some kids drinking during a trip to Chicago, and they found themselves in deep shit. I figure there will be plenty of time for escapades and other shenanigans when I'm in college.

Oh, and the women-folk are on the same floor, just different rooms. I'm not sure if there will be a whole lot of talent in that department though - it is the Model UN after all. But who knows if there will be that intelligent, attractive delegate from Phillips Andover?

I don't think Chinatown is some place you should take them. Chinatown is more authentic than the usual 'Chef Choy House' they're used to ordering take out from - meaning people not used to real Chinese food will find the meat of suspect quality and far too greasy for their liking. And while dim sum is excellent, it's a bit intimidating for the uninitiated.

If you're considering Joes (which i've never been too excited by - overpriced comfort food), you can also look at Papa Razzi (which I do enjoy) - run by the same company.

The Model U.N. delegate for the PRC should have to go to Chinatown for some takeout for the other delegates. If he/she is nervous, then bring some Security Council members along.

I'm the Prosecutor General for the Colombian Cabinet.

Is this BosMUN or some other thing?

A few years ago, I volunteered at BOSMUN, which is run by BU and MIT.

BosMUN IX it is. MIT backed out, it's all BU now.

California Pizza Kitchen? Oh nevermind you already decided. I think you should take them to dinner in a restaurant in Little Italy though. It's a must.

Back