Please stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Simmons University Living and Learning Center | 300 Fenway | Longwood

The nature of the college experience today is not a tangent to a thread about a college campus.

Re: Simmons University Living and Learning Center | 300 Fenway | Longwood

Maybe the idea of college has finally reached its natural limits. Outrageous cost and toxic ideological indoctrination have taken not just the shine off the experience but also the finish. Group think and hostility to free speech have no place in higher education, yet there they are on campuses all over the country metastasizing into something quite ugly. Administrators seem mostly unable or unwilling to implement correctives so they may unwittingly be fast-forwarding the extinction of what we know as college today into whatever it will evolve into tomorrow (likely downscaled and oriented more to the practicality of hard sciences and business). So be it.

Alternatively, emphasis on and respect for the military, trades, and manufacturing careers is long, long overdue. College is oversold today and not at all a suitable option for a large number of young people uninterested in its expanding downsides.

Not sure what you're talking about. The majority of students in universities are against hostile hate speech disguised as "free speech." For the few students who feel like they are "oppressed" on campus because the majority of students and faculty members are against their bigoted views, let's just say university are not having any problem sleeping at night about it.

[MOD EDIT: Preserving this as a reminder not to rant incoherently on message boards at 4am. ~G_A]

re; my (nominal) Tremont Crossing is DEAD update
one point five billion dollars in construction just vaporized.
The New World's obsession, and search for perfection is a mild form of intolerance & sociological totalitarianism.
The reason i put it in those terms is because people used to be more honest about their motives, exchange of ideas & communication.
That honesty has given way to overt dishonesty, and narcissism.
We risk becoming an over-moderated forum.
i posted a news flash about the cancellation of a $1.5B project.
It was no more necessary to remove it, than it was to post it.
For better or worse, i posted it as a service to our membership.
It is an INCREDIBLY important story in Boston development circles.
i may not have posted it in accordance with forum rules:
(a news flash implicit to be re-merged with the main thread at some point).
You'll probably never get your true motives; nor will i.
The post was perfectly excerpted and informative.
It was done in no way to disrespect or abuse the forum.
A bit of latitude will make you more human.
i sometimes wonder: is this is a Boston thing? including much (not all) of the whining (in advance) of the new owner having barely warmed his seat (truly nauseating).
Despite your likely view of your own perfection
that you can most surely back up in the design studio,
let it sink in: however long you've been at it,
you (still) might not be a perfect moderator.
You'll learn much in the future about dealing with people you don't happen to like--or you may not.
i find many mid-westerners to be insufferable bunch.
i can be a fair bit of an asshole myself.
in second place Florida.
3rd place: Boston (might beat out New York depending on what direction the wind is blowing that particular day).
Californians are (of course) incredibly nauseating, but in a totally different way.
i excerpted 1/4 of the story, with crucial information about why the BPDA has dumped the developer, as a service to those members feeling the squeeze of a pricey Globe subscription.
i don't think the Globe or its billionaire owner will mind.

This is Christmas Eve -- Merry Christmas*1 to everyone on ABForum
We can resume the discussion later

Happy Chanukkah
or if you chose to celebrate any Winter Solsticial Commemorative Event -- then felicitous greeting for your celebrations in the appropriate manner for your culture [whether native or adopted]

Right, but only the tin foil hat crowd are placing their cell phones in aluminum foil bags or pulling their sim cards and batteries.

The reality is most of the people "concerned" about EasyPass Transponder data are willingly giving up much more data via their cell phone (not just driving locations, but walking locations, final destinations, dwell times there, etc. -- read the article!). And while they "worry" about the big bad transponder, they continue using their phone, navigating with Google Maps, playing Spotify over their car audio, checking a Yelp review, and probably texting. And big, nearly invisible private corporations are collecting all their location data (and ancillary phone use practices) to sell to the highest bidder. It is not even the government you need to worry about, it is the corporate oligarchy.
Jeff in the Biblical Spirit of the Season -- with apologies to the original author:
"Render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to Google-Amazon-Facebook-Microsoft-Apple and a few others --- everything else"🎄🔔:geek: +++*

++*

Happy Chanukkah
or if you chose to celebrate any Winter Solsticial Commemorative Event -- then felicitous greeting for your celebrations in the appropriate manner for your culture [whether native or adopted]

For F-Line and others who may have felt that my posts interrupted their desired flow of argument during the past year

Happy Chanukkah
or if you chose to celebrate any other or any Winter Solsticial Commemorative Event -- then felicitous greeting for your celebrations in the appropriate manner for your culture [whether native or adopted]

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, &ct. Please refrain from trolling during this holiday season.

Baker .....pragmatic. .... do nothing than anyone. Just stand there and smile and not take a side or do anything to offend anyone sensibilities. Why are moderators here making political comments? Get of out here, seriously
Other than Pragmatic and Sensibilities which you undoubtedly copied from somewhere else --- Do you Suffolk -- actually have any more coherent cognizant expressions to contribute to the discussion -- other than to sound like a Longshoreman who just dropped a tool on his foot

I wouldn't even cede that much ground. If political conversation is relevant to a thread, there's ZERO reason moderators, admin, etc. should not participate however they see fit, so long as they aren't abusing their power by silencing disagreement. That this is even a question is absurd.

Other than Pragmatic and Sensibilities which you undoubtedly copied from somewhere else --- Do you Suffolk -- actually have any more coherent cognizant expressions to contribute to the discussion -- other than to sound like a Longshoreman who just dropped a tool on his foot

...(*bump*) just to highlight the gaping chasm in rightest and wrongest possible ways to approach a hotbutton political discussion with a modicum of grace and relevance-to-topic. The misbehavior-post trash bin on "General" forum exists because of folks who can't resist going the route of the latter quoted example. :poop:

...(*bump*) just to highlight the gaping chasm in rightest and wrongest possible ways to approach a hotbutton political discussion with a modicum of grace and relevance-to-topic. The misbehavior-post trash bin on "General" forum exists because of folks who can't resist going the route of the latter quoted example. :poop:
F-Line stick to Transit Engineering
I was commenting as I did because there really is no place in any intelligent discussion for the stuff spewed by Suffolk except as graffiti to be scrubbed off of a building before its imploded!
Suffolk 83

JoinedNov 14, 2007
Messages2,219
Reaction score57
Yesterday at 3:45 PM

Baker f...ing sucks he's not f....ing pragmatic. He can suck a bag of di...s. He's more do nothing than anyone. Just stand there and smile and not take a side or do anything to offend anyone sensibilities. Why are moderators here making political comments? Get of out here, seriously

F-Line stick to Transit Engineering
I was commenting as I did because there really is no place in any intelligent discussion for the stuff spewed by Suffolk except as graffiti to be scrubbed off of a building before its imploded!
Suffolk 83

JoinedNov 14, 2007
Messages2,219
Reaction score57
Yesterday at 3:45 PM

So return fire with more original ad hominems of your own to stake the high ground, eh? No, sorry...that's gutterball all the same and you know damn well when it accumulates the only lingering memory of it from the thread is going to be who did it last/most, not the "But he started it!" technicality. You playing this very game has already necessitated one new dump of posts on the "Please Stop" exile thread this week. We shooting for two, now???

Please stop.

Just stop, guys...he's doing it again because fuck you, that's why. There's no rational discussion going on here anymore, just impotent screaming. Let it blow over so the thread can get back on track.

from summer 2019.....

Seems like respecting content ownership is kind of an issue for you with the recent copy-pasting of Globe and BBJ articles and now posting someone else’s Instagram photo without credit.

i searched several min for credit before posting, using tineye.
Best i could do was Forbes.
Thanks for endlessly trolling my posts these many months.
btw, are you good for anything more than endlessly bitching about everything?

recent copy-pasting of Globe and BBJ articles
i'm not aware of posting any part of a BBJ or Banker & Tradesman article-ever.
What is the source of your bullshit? Perhaps you have other information, and can cite the examples.
If i ever quoted a line or 2, i imagine you'd have to go back a few years--at least.
i do take occasion to post a couple of lines from The Globe--the renowned, Public serving institution
owned by Billionaire, John Henry.

The individual who edited my post above was in error.
I posted Chiofaro Co's own press release directly from their website,
and (in fact) explained that i was citing the actual press release.

Last edited:
i searched several min for credit before posting, using tineye.
Best i could do was Forbes.
Thanks for endlessly trolling my posts these many months.
btw, are you good for anything more than endlessly bitching about everything?
This is incredibly ironic

What is insulting about saying Gnurd Home -- if we were Brits we'd have buildings called Gnurd House and be proud

To be able to understand Gnurd -- you need to know the origin of GNU -- otherwise its just undecipherable hieroglyphs pre-Jean-François Champollion

Off topic, and I don't know why you are quote me (again), and condescending - bingo win? I don't need a lecture on GNU or the FSF.

Off topic, and I don't know why you are quote me (again), and condescending - bingo win? I don't need a lecture on GNU or the FSF.

This is standard Whigh... he likes to appear smart by writing lotsa of semi-coherent musings.

Bakqwailo -- glad to know that you are a GNU cognescenti
then why the following

I'm not bak, but you do realize a lot of us are ideologically indifferent or opposed to the FSF, GNU and GPL (which personally I think is toxic and cancerous). I strongly support open source but I think the FSF, its interpretation of open source and its goals can go pound sand.

This is standard Whigh... he likes to appear smart by writing lotsa of semi-coherent musings.

I'm not bak, but you do realize a lot of us are ideologically indifferent or opposed to the FSF, GNU and GPL (which personally I think is toxic and cancerous). I strongly support open source but I think the FSF, its interpretation of open source and its goals can go pound sand.

bakgwailo & meddlepal, etc -- No offense intended to others who do understand the role of Information technology and its applications to creating the Next Industrial Revolution. As you have noted -- not everyone is going to agree to any specific details of the technology -- That really is not so important.

What is important and not just for the cognescenti -- but for the rest of the folks around here as well is to realize that not only do we live in the midst of the transformation in terms of time [it is happening in the last few and next few decades] -- But that we who are part of the process [and others who are just here in the midst of it] are living in the Nexus of all of this geographically [aka the Hub]-- and like it or not GNU is kind of talisman of the process and to some extent the place.

So to put into more prosaic terms -- Boston / Cambridge is creating the tools and methods of application of the them to enable the 3rd phase of industrialization:
  1. Supplementing and then replacing the reliance on human and animal power with mechanics to move and make things -- the British and then the rest of the developed world's "Industrial Revolution"
  2. Supplementing and then replacing the reliance on human senses to enable control of the mechanics in phase 1 -- beginning in the mid Industrial Revolution and spreading widely during the age of electrification -- getting its second wind with today's Internet of Things
  3. Supplementing and then replacing? the reliance on human thought to do phase 2 again at a higher level -- aka AI, robotics, & ubiquitous communications
If we live long enough [and if they still write them] there will be books written about this time and this place

it actually began with things like James Watt replacing the kid pulling on the ropes on the Newcomen Steam Engine*1 during the Phase 1 with a Fly-ball governor, and mechanical linkages, etc.

Atmospheric Engine This magnificent engine was patented in 1705 by Thomas Newcomen, and is generally regarded as the first “modern” steam engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back