Portland Bayside

^ Interesting news. I look forward to hearing more. I hope that whatever is proposed here takes the form of several smaller developments, instead of combining the 8 lots into one large building. I'm not sure exactly what lots they purchased so they could be spread on either side of Chestnut Street I think.

Also on topic, I believe the city council voted in their last session concerning the extension of Somerset Street. The extension will be to the west, to Preble Street I presume. The current stretch between Preble and Elm street is a little dead end street that is next to Portland Architectural Salvage and Asia West (which is closing). It would be nice to have a stoplight or stop signs at Somerset and Elm Street perhaps, to tame the traffic and help people utilizing the bayside trail. Not sure if there is still talk of changing Elm and Preble streets into two-way streets as suggested in past PACTS studies.

unledqu.png

True, but I wonder how many of those projects they built instead of acquired from others as they did for the Bayside Village? Also, look at Legacy Park in Worcester...that is a project that I think would do well in Bayside. With the Bayside vision in place, and a very good planning department here, I think we can say that the projects might look more urban than not.

Having looked over their portfolio...it makes me hope they dont replicate the style of all their other properties. The article says they are aiming for mixed use...and they hope to use this land to enhance their other property, Bayside Village.
I hope they go more in line with the past proposals that never got built. And they want community involvement..so maybe a mixed use tower of some sort will get built

Good point on Legacy Park Worcester....it has an urban feel that would fit into the bayside plan...and surrounding development

Having looked over their portfolio...it makes me hope they dont replicate the style of all their other properties. The article says they are aiming for mixed use...and they hope to use this land to enhance their other property, Bayside Village.
I hope they go more in line with the past proposals that never got built. And they want community involvement..so maybe a mixed use tower of some sort will get built

I don't think they want community involvement as much as they realize it is necessary. But the Bayside plan was made with community involvement, so all they need to do is build something in line with that vision. I think if you look at Hampton Inn proposals, they are all crap, too, but the one in the East End is alright.

Article today in the PPH, as expected.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/city-sees-sale-of-land-as-progress-for-bayside_2011-05-25.html

City sees sale of land as progress for Bayside
A deal in the works with Federated Companies for a 3.25-acre parcel is part of Portland's 'vision' for the area.

By Edward D. Murphy,Staff Writer

She noted that the deal calls for a 500-car garage on the east end of the property as the first part of the project, because further development would be expected to create the need for more parking.

The city has a $9 million loan from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development that it can re-lend to The Federated Companies to help finance the parking garage, Mitchell said.

Mitchell said the developer will propose mixed uses for the rest of the property. The current concept calls for first-floor retail space, parking above that, then offices or apartments above that. Mitchell said the developer wouldn't have to develop the property exactly that way, and plans could be changed as the project goes through the city's approval process.

baysideLots201105WEB.jpg

Personal comment - the DHS could probably make some good money (which I am certain they are in need of given the current state budget situations) selling their parking lot to developers who could build a parking garage there. I notice a trend of parking garages often occupying spaces nearby to surface level parking.

I hope they are planning something in the ballpark of eight stories or higher....

^@Corey - unfortunately, the DHS doesn't own that building. They lease it from Peter Quesada, the same dickwad who built a fence between Trader Joe's and the Bayside Trail out of pure spite. He owns most of the buildings along the south side of Marginal Way - you can also blame the crappy new Walgreens on him.

You're right, he could make more money by selling the underused parking lot and asking more state employees to walk or take transit to work. But he's a half-senile old man who's stuck in a 1970s mindset, and he seems intent on making his land a low-value strip mall instead of a high-value downtown district. Thankfully, smarter developers are out-competing him for new projects elsewhere in the city.

I thought this purchase was of the eastern portion, but now I see it includes the Developer's Collaborative/Olympia project areas that were once the sites of Maine Health's proposed new office building and other mixed use projects. The parking garage location has moved. I thought the federal funding for that was to dry up years ago, before the recession, hence the rush to get projects going back then?

Portland gets $2.3 million on land deal; pays $1 million for settlement
Councilors agree to both sell seven lots in Bayside and to settle an easement dispute.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/portland-nets-_1_3-million-on-land-deals_2011-06-07.html

The City Council unanimously approved selling seven lots, covering 3.25 acres in Bayside, to the Federated Cos., which plans to develop commercial units, housing, offices and a large parking lot on the land running along Somerset Street.

The council also appropriated $967,000 to cover the settlement of a long-running dispute over the value of easements on city property on the eastern waterfront.

*I just noticed that the article says "...large parking lot," but I assume they meant large parking garage.

My initial gut feeling is that selling this much land to one developer isn't the optimal solution for this area, but I will eagerly await their development proposals for judgement. It will be interesting to see how much they line up with the vision for Bayside.

I would expect and look for large blocks of multi-family development, going by their history and portfolio. Possibility is they are looking long term for folks to move back into the inner city as gasoline prices rise, and the population grows older.

This is from a campaign email from Markos Miller. I'm really encouraged by how many candidates in this campaign are talking about fostering new development, and particularly new housing, in neighborhoods like Bayside.

Our Urban Future

The reality is that Southern Maine is growing and Portland is the economic hub of this growth. People can either flock to outlying communities and we will have to continue to accommodate these commuters by widening roads and building more parking, while gaining little in tax revenue; or we can grow our city, capitalize on existing infrastructure, and widen our tax base. If we do not hold our own against neighboring communities with exploding populations we will find ourselves in a disadvantaged position when it comes to regional issues and directing limited financial resources.

Bayside presents our greatest opportunity to accommodate such growth by becoming a mixed-use neighborhood. Key investments in infrastructure, including re-connections of the street grid, pedestrian ways, and quality parks and playgrounds will create the context in which Portland can realize the vibrant residential component of the Bayside Vision. City owned property, including the Public Works site, can be used to leverage private investments and local bonding authority can used to assist with funding. Finance mechanisms such as TIF's connected to specific criteria (i.e. density, mixed-use, energy efficiency, etc) can also spur such investment and support affordable workforce housing.

This development model can be applied to other parts of the city, from the ends of our waterfront to key off-peninsula locations to develop denser, transit-oriented hubs, serving as economic and community development projects that sustain alternative transportation systems. These new neighborhoods can attract thousand's of new homeowners who will build businesses, support our schools, and contribute to our culture.

^ I also find the candidates who are endorsing increased development downtown encouraging. Hopefully one of them will be able to deliver if elected. There happened to be an opinion piece in the PPH by John Eder today, who doesn't really have a chance of being elected (as he admits). I specifically noticed this section in reference to Bayside:

We need to build 1,000 units of simple, affordable housing. Places you can afford without a subsidy. We can build these six stories tall, downtown, with storefronts on the ground level, particularly in Bayside. This will create a sustainable, growing tax base of people who will work and shop downtown every day so we can achieve an economy of scale.

Im not sure I understand his reference to economies of scale, which leads me to believe he doesn't understand the phrase.

You can't just build 6 story housing across Bayside, so it is odd that he seemed to arbitrarily pick that number as a hypothetical mandate. Zoning allows buildings that tall, with housing in them, and retail, but the market has to be there too. I'd be interested in what he'd do to change the market. He has listed a goal/desire...how will it come about?

This is from a campaign email from Markos Miller. I'm really encouraged by how many candidates in this campaign are talking about fostering new development, and particularly new housing, in neighborhoods like Bayside.

Our Urban Future

The reality is that Southern Maine is growing and Portland is the economic hub of this growth. People can either flock to outlying communities and we will have to continue to accommodate these commuters by widening roads and building more parking, while gaining little in tax revenue; or we can grow our city, capitalize on existing infrastructure, and widen our tax base. If we do not hold our own against neighboring communities with exploding populations we will find ourselves in a disadvantaged position when it comes to regional issues and directing limited financial resources.

Bayside presents our greatest opportunity to accommodate such growth by becoming a mixed-use neighborhood. Key investments in infrastructure, including re-connections of the street grid, pedestrian ways, and quality parks and playgrounds will create the context in which Portland can realize the vibrant residential component of the Bayside Vision. City owned property, including the Public Works site, can be used to leverage private investments and local bonding authority can used to assist with funding. Finance mechanisms such as TIF's connected to specific criteria (i.e. density, mixed-use, energy efficiency, etc) can also spur such investment and support affordable workforce housing.

This development model can be applied to other parts of the city, from the ends of our waterfront to key off-peninsula locations to develop denser, transit-oriented hubs, serving as economic and community development projects that sustain alternative transportation systems. These new neighborhoods can attract thousand's of new homeowners who will build businesses, support our schools, and contribute to our culture.

I'm voting Markos second. If he wins, I will be pleased, but I really think Marshall gets the nod from me because of his dedication to discussing streetcar lines. Will Portland get one in his first term if elected? No, but the discussion is important for making it happen. How cool would it be to hop on a peninsula circulator and get off at any key destination you want? These things are done in all the greatest cities of the world, and Portland needs to get on board if it is to take its (rightful) place amongst those cities.

Miller has good ideas, too, and sounds like a page out of a New Urbanist manual (not a bad thing).

It seems like in the last 6 years or so, people have really started to care about Portland's urbanity a lot more. I remember being into this stuff and there were only a few others around town, most of whom post on this site, that were interested in urban development. Today, everyone I meet is trying to "educate" me on what's best for Portland and how suburbia is bad. Hello! That's what we've been saying! It's a very good thing, but also interesting in a way. I think the arts district had a lot to do with it. Whereas the urbanism of the Old Port is seen "for tourists" Congress street's urbanism is seen "for us" and I think having a positive example of localized urbanism, used by residents, really kicked off a wave of interest in the downtown amongst tons of people--even if only casually interested--that either didn't exist before or was imperceptible to me.

Anyone else feel this way? When the civic center was discussed in 2005 (Joe Boulos tower), there were certainly people interested (and not limited to AB forum readers!), but I don't think I remember the same level of public engagement--and sophisticated engagement--on things like mixed use, walkability, pedestrianism, transit, etc. The public at large seems to be more knowledgeable about planning these days. Maybe that is a product of the city becoming more of a place people care about, which again I link and attribute to the Arts District. anyone else?

City, developer making progress on Bayside land sale
By Casey Conley
Feb 08, 2012 12:00 am

City officials say they are getting closer to a final agreement with Federated Cos., the Florida developer under contract to buy 3.25 acres in Bayside.

Federated began negotiating to buy seven adjoining parcels of city-owned land between Elm Street and Franklin Street almost nine months ago.

Logistical hurdles unrelated to the $2.3 million sale price have delayed the closing, but Greg Mitchell, the city’s economic development director, said those issues are mostly resolved.

“We were hopeful it would have moved more quickly,” Mitchell said in a recent interview, “but a number of elements to this transaction have led to us needing more time.”

He added that the city hopes “to be finalizing negotiations in the next 30 to 45 days, and sharing publicly the specifics associated with the transaction.” If all goes well, the sale could be final within three months.

Nick Wexler, chief operating officer of Miami-based Federated Cos., agreed that the transaction is still moving forward.

“From our perspective, the deal is definitely still on,” he said this week. “Whenever you have a public-private partnership like this, to some degree, there will always be some complexities. When you layer on a big project like this with some moving parts, it takes a little bit of time to work on specifics.”

Federated Cos., which has an office outside Boston, has developed housing and commercial projects up and down the East Coast. The company has proposed almost 1 million square feet of new development for the 3.25 acres for this site, and are hoping to build a hotel, 100,000 square feet of retail space, 550 luxury housing units and a 1,000-car parking garage.

Federated has already begun marketing the site as “Maritime Landing,” but has not submitted any final designs with the city. The development, which must be under construction within two years of the closing, will almost certainly be built in phases. Mitchell estimated the total development cost at about $100 million.

Members of the city council’s Housing and Community Development committee are expected to discuss the Federated deal in closed session during tonight’s meeting, at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.

The logistical issues that have slowed the project are largely technical in nature. Mitchell said questions around the timing of building phases across the site, as well as efforts to remove deed restrictions from some parcels, have taken more time than expected. For example, the city has had to document contamination and identify possible remediation needs at a former rail yard and scrap yard within the site to allow residential development.

Wexler declined to comment on the subject of ongoing negotiations, but did not disagree with Mitchell’s assessment of the logistical hurdles under negotiation.

Councilor Nick Mavodones, who chairs the Housing and Community Development committee, said he is optimistic about the plan, which “fulfills a lot of the Bayside Vision the way housing is contemplated.”

Indeed, the city's Bayside Vision planning document calls for a mix of housing, retail and commercial uses in the neighborhood, which was an industrial and railroad center for generations.

In recent years, developers have built mid-rise office towers, student apartments and chain retail stores like EMS, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods along major roads that bisect the neighborhood. Yet interior sections along Somerset and Lancester streets are mostly vacant.

The Housing and Community Development committee has already met twice on the Federated sale in the past month. Today’s meeting will likely give councilors an update on the progress but will not include a public hearing.

Councilor Cheryl Leeman said the negotiations between the city and Federated are “all in the little details.”

“We are just working out those details,” she said. “It’s like any kind of contract negotiation, there is a lot of back and forth, back and forth.”

John, have you seen the urban design packet RFQ released to the AIA? It has massing and shows some pretty impressive structures.

I've been in contact with the developer Jonathan Cox on several occasions and according to him, Maritime Landing is their "top priority." There is also an article I wrote coming out in Portland Magazine this week (maybe it's out today, too) which has a little quote from Federated in it about their project. The article is on making Portland more urban. Thanks for posting the above, Grittys.

Back