Portland - Civic Center

hallelujah ! after nine million + studies and experts and consultants lined up from Maine to China ground is broken. Entertainment dollars stay in Maine, downtown Portland remains vibrant, and a better experience for all who attend events @ CCCC.
I love it. Way to go Maine !

If anyone is curious, the CCCC is occasionally updating their official Facebook page with construction photos. I will still share some photos of the progress every now and then, although I'm probably on a watch list because I've been politely kicked-out of the Spring Street garage multiple times while taking photos (I've only ever been asked to leave parking garages owned by the city, oddly enough).

If anyone is curious, the CCCC is occasionally updating their official Facebook page with construction photos. I will still share some photos of the progress every now and then, although I'm probably on a watch list because I've been politely kicked-out of the Spring Street garage multiple times while taking photos (I've only ever been asked to leave parking garages owned by the city, oddly enough).

It's a public garage!

LLA51.jpg

NIce Corey.

Hope you're down on the waterfront today getting a triple shot in one pic of the Jewel of the seas, David Geffen's 300 million dollar yacht, and The World yacht. You can get them all in one from the right angle.

NIce Corey.

Hope you're down on the waterfront today getting a triple shot in one pic of the Jewel of the seas, David Geffen's 300 million dollar yacht, and The World yacht. You can get them all in one from the right angle.

Some of us have to work Gritty, LOL.

Just wanted to mention that through the Portland Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee I am part of the "Spring Street/Free Street Streetscape Public Advisory Committee" that is currently in progress. The project it looking at improvements to be made in the area around the Civic Center, including Spring/Free/Pleasant Streets. You can read about the objectives and such on the project's website, here. I believe I am at liberty to say to say that Spring may eventually be made into a more urban street, as opposed to a highway, and that the concrete barriers in the middle of the road will likely be removed.

Also, one of the backup documents on the project site was especially interesting. It's the "Patterns for Progress" document from 1967. Apparently someone was once considering building the Civic Center at the corner of Cumberland Ave and High Street and connecting it to the Eastland with a skywalk of some sort. Fascinating stuff!

Some more snapshots today:

2xGfE.jpg

Skl5z.jpg

^That would be a neat place for a little deck of some sort.

I agree. And to offset the $500K lost due to contractor delays, they are considering the idea of not renovating the arena seating which means for $33M we will still have the same drab interior and worn seats. They should cut the loss from the Pirates fancy new and enlarged locker room and make the ticket buying public the priority. The owner of the Pirates is making this a difficult issue in my opinion which is sad because he and his AHL team are the ones who benefit the most from this renovation.

In addition, the Civic Center trustees need to get off their behinds and secure naming rights to the arena which would more than make up for any additional construction costs and future improvements/maintenance. UNUM Civic Center, IDEXX Arena, TD Bank Civic Center, WEX Civic Center, LL Bean Arena, Call Joe Civic Center, Reny's Maine Adventure Center, Hannaford Shopping Center, Bingas Stadium, Mark's Hot Dog Arena, and Ira's Prime Time Coliseum to name a few potential suitors!

Due to an early exit from the playoffs by the Pirates, Phase 2 of the Civic Center's renovations will begin on or around May 13. This should bring the completion date of the project close to the original target time and a Cianbro official also told me today that all of the arena seats will be refurbished as originally planned.

They should have used the same floor-to-ceiling windows on the 2nd floor offices as they did on the 1st floor. Other than that, it actually looks better than the rendering, which I thought was ugly to begin with.

Back