Portland - Civic Center

LL Bean makes the most sense in a lot of ways..........so many people visiting Portland see that building........would be great advertising for them.

I was really surprised that Bangor Savings didn't pony up for Bangor's arena.

I don't think Unum would pony up the money for the naming rights. Their primary customers are employers, not individuals, and their primary distribution method is through brokers and agents. Most of their marketing dollars are spent in industry publications and through direct marketing to brokers and employers.

I don't think LL Bean would do it either. I don't see them needing any more local recognition, though mainejeff does make a good point about the building's visability to tourists.

I think a company most likely to purchase the naming rights to the civic center is going to be a company looking to gain more local and to a lesser extent regional recognition. Case in point - Cross Insurance. How many of you had ever heard of them prior to them buying the naming rights to the new Bangor arena? I doubt many in this state actually know what they do (they're an insurance agent, not an insurance carrier), but their name is now a more household name in the state.

My dark horse candidates:

Bank of Maine
Gorham Savings Bank
Pratt Insurance
Prime Auto Group

Bank of Maine would be a good choice....LL Bean might be unlikely, but it would be a good choice, considering its national reputation.

I4e2pOB.jpg

n0H1fRz.jpg

Yuck..........looks like a poor man's Government Center in Boston.

Quick and ugly shot from the parking garage:

wJGK2c2.jpg

It looked like it was heading this way and it's now official that the Portland Pirates will be playing the entire 2013-2014 season up in Lewiston. I haven't been following things very closely as I maybe go to one Pirates game a season on average and am not a follower of sports, but it will be interesting to see how the legal aspects of the disagreements play out.

Good for Lewiston temporarily and good for Portland later down the road. If any city in Maine needs a economic shot in the arm it would be Lewiston. Brian Petrovek played his cards and now is forced to put a positive spin on playing home games at the refreshed but dismal Colisee. He is fortunate that one of the Pirates partners owns 40% of the Lewiston arena. My guess is that he will pack up and set sail for another city at the end of this season

Portland and the CCCC will eventually land another AHL team down the road with fresh ownership and marketing strategies. The new affiliate will be very content setting up operations in a newly renovated 7000 seat (hockey capacity) venue with a loyal area fan base.

Last edited:
Good call, Portlander. Some people make it sound like the Pirates organization is irreplaceable, but it seems like it wouldn't take more than a year to get a new AHL team or at least an NHL-affiliated ECHL team. In the meantime maybe the Civic Center can attract some more concerts and non-hocey events.

xRbgOY0.jpg

I wonder if the Pirates even have a place they could move to outside of Maine? Every major market in New England and New York is now covered by an AHL team. It would take a major move to outside of the Northeast or to Canada for them to find a new home, and I can only imagine the logistics of a major move like that are difficult.

They'll probably either move back to Baltimore (where they were before becoming the Pirates), Halifax or Quebec City.

Regardless, I'm not going to miss them. I love hockey and I loved going to Pirates games, but this whole lease disagerement soured me on their management team. I put more blame on them than the civic center. The civic center will find a new team, be that AHL, ECHL or a junior team. All will be fine. In the meanwhile, it frees up more availability for concerts and other events, which could bring in just as much revenue as a full season of the Purates, if not more.

Good call, Portlander. Some people make it sound like the Pirates organization is irreplaceable, but it seems like it wouldn't take more than a year to get a new AHL team or at least an NHL-affiliated ECHL team. In the meantime maybe the Civic Center can attract some more concerts and non-hocey events.

xRbgOY0.jpg

Unless the Pirates move the team out of the territory which is a 50 miles radius from Portland I don't see another AHL hockey team coming to town anytime soon. I could see the Pirates building a 5,000 seat arena in Saco which is where their practice/training facility is. That has been discussed in the past and from what I hear Plans have been drawn up.
Also, the AHL & ECHL supposedly have a gentleman's agreement that they won't move a team into another's territory. I don't think Portland would support an ECHL team anyways as the quality of play is below the AHL.
Quebec Major junior hockey has no interest in returning to the U.S.

My prediction is that the Pirates will either relocate to another AHL city far from Maine and closer to Arizona next year or Brian will come back to the Cumberland County Commissioners with with his tail between his legs and renegotiate a lessor or similar deal to stay in Portland.

As far as Biddeford/Saco building a new 5000 seat arena and landing the team, I do not see it at all. To plan, permit and build a new venue would be at least two years down the road. Lewiston, which is obviously the state's second largest city/metropolitan area, could not fill the Colisee on opening night with $10 and below tickets along with a percentage of comp admissions. Biddeford's small population, demographics and income levels just would not support the team in the future. Corporate sponsorship would also be another limiting factor in the team's financial security. In addition, the AHL would cringe at the though of one of their teams playing in such a small limited market, Glens Falls is the rare exception. Very few Portland/Westbrook/South Portland/Falmouth residents are going to drive to Biddeford to watch the Pirates and that is the bulk of Greater Portland's population base. The Pirate's owner was not crazy about the CCCC's 7000 seat hockey capacity, could not imagine him committing to a much smaller venue long term.

Because Portland is a good hockey town and has a proven track record, the city will eventually land another team that is unhappy with their current situation, it may take a couple of years and it needs to be an AHL over an ECHL franchise in my opinion. I also don't think professional hockey players would be content with living in Lewiston or Biddeford during the winter, nor would visiting teams look forward to staying in either of those cities due to dining, entertainment and lodging limitations.

Unless the Pirates move the team out of the territory which is a 50 miles radius from Portland I don't see another AHL hockey team coming to town anytime soon. I could see the Pirates building a 5,000 seat arena in Saco which is where their practice/training facility is. That has been discussed in the past and from what I hear Plans have been drawn up.
Also, the AHL & ECHL supposedly have a gentleman's agreement that they won't move a team into another's territory. I don't think Portland would support an ECHL team anyways as the quality of play is below the AHL.
Quebec Major junior hockey has no interest in returning to the U.S.

No chance the team lands in saco. Since There is no arena at all and if that were to happen the town would have to finance the arena which saco and biddeford voters probably aren't going to do. Even if they did it would be a year from now where voters would vote.
There might be plans but I seriously doubt there are any actual blueprints as that would have cost alot of money. But even if there are plans they would have to go through the approval process and if everything went right the arena is still about 4-5 years out from now.
They are not going to stay in lewiston, not enough revenue at all. they'll be in a new city next year.
Teams would love to relocate to portland, if portland wants a team in a few years it will happen as the pirates will be long gone IMO.

Thought this was interesting. It's a promotional piece for the Civic Center bond referendum from the early 1970's [Via Portland Maine History 1786-Present]:

812791_479399248791173_1741789549_o.jpg
except for the roof if they built it like that back then they might not of had to spend 30 million on a upgrade,notice the 3 loading dock doors,no suicide stairs and the upper spring street entrence is level in the pic with no stairs

Move the pirates to Boston so i can see some professional hockey games for under $60 a seat without driving an hour and a half outa the city! Theres enough hockey fans in the boston area to support another team
But on a more realistic note Quebec City would be a good place for an AHL team but I'd like to see the Florida Panthers move there. The Panthers are terrible and barely have a fan base

^Would absolutely love to see Quebec City get a team back. Never been there and a Bruins-Nordiques (please keep that name) is a great reason. With the dollar at parity and the success of the Winnipeg move back, I think it will happen.

Back