Portland - Civic Center

After complaining to numerous involved parties during the renovation planning process, I am glad to see they took my advice and spent some money on paint and covered the hideous silver steel support braces along the sides of the arena. This is evident in Corey's last photo and is a nice visual improvement that was not going to be addressed in the budget.

For those interested, the 7000 refurbished permanent seats have been arriving from Hussey Seating during the past two weeks. The new seats will be a maroon/reddish color very similar to the seats in Bangor's new arena. The 1500 new floor seats will be delivered to the Civic Center in the near future. Not sure why it is taking so long to find or announce what company/corporation has landed the naming rights contract?

I couldn't agree more. Those braces were just awful to look at and didn't exactly make you feel secure. At least now they blend in with the rest of the structure.

According to the U.S Lacrosse League the first franchise in league history has been signed and will be playing it's games at the Cumberland County Civic Center starting in the Fall of 2014. The name of the team is the Maine Moose Trax. www.theusll.com
Obviously this isn't good news for the Pirates returning to the Civic Center as this Lax team would more than likely take up alot of the Friday/Saturday dates the Pirates would be playing at the CCCC.

You gotta be shitting me. That better not be a replacement for an AHL team. Won't last anyway.

On the flip side, I can't imagine they'd take up as much of the schedule as the Pirates, leaving more dates available for concerts and other events, which in turn would make the CCCC more profitable.

That said, as a hockey fan, I'd rather have an AHL team here.

Not sure how I feel about this new turn of events. Would prefer an AHL team and maybe the individual team schedules could work for a Lacrosse AND Hockey team at he Civic Center? Looks like the LAX team would only play 6 home dates during the fairly short season so maybe we can accommodate two different sports at the same time.

Not sure how I feel about this new turn of events. Would prefer an AHL team and maybe the individual team schedules could work for a Lacrosse AND Hockey team at he Civic Center? Looks like the LAX team would only play 6 home dates during the fairly short season so maybe we can accommodate two different sports at the same time.

Yeh, 6 homes games and 6 away plus playoffs. Starting in September and ending in December. An AhL team could easily work around that schedule.
Indoor (Box) Lacrosse is very fast and physical.

Don't they have some crazy ass fights in that other lacrosse league?

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Civic_center_to_become_home_to_new_lacrosse_team_.html

It looks like the league put the cart before the horse with their announcement. There's no deal with the civic center just yet. It makes me wonder just how strong the management and thus potential is for this league actually is. If your first major announcement comes too early and is "written incorrectly" (as the league founder and Chairman dierctly stated), then that doesn't show very well from a business perspective.

Also, twelve home games are planned instead of six.

Sounds like the Civic Center could handle the Pirates as well as a potential lacrosse team.

I never went to a game, but we managed to have a "professional roller hockey" team for one year (1994). That's a good bit of Portland-trivia for you.

Edit - Found an interesting article about our short-lived roller hockey team here. Apparently the roller hockey season was during the summer which is a harder time to sell people on watching sports indoors. It sounds like the lacrosse team would play in the fall/winter which might work.

Another public relations move in an attempt to distant the team from Brian who has burned all of his bridges. In the long term it may actually work and the Pirates and the trustees will eventually agree to a new deal which will favor the Civic Center more than the previous draft which was very Pirate friendly. I would prefer that the Pirates remain in Portland, I just want a fair agreement for both parties.

Given that the team announced that they issued additional stock to make the new guy majority owner, a friend of mine observed that it sounds like they needed a cash infusion. If this new guy, who says he's going to be the "public face of the team", just approaches things from the standpoint of "don't be a jerk," he'll be off to a good start.

nT1A1rj.jpg

I wonder how much it would cost to change the brown paneling on the top to another color to better match the new additions?

I wonder how much it would cost to change the brown paneling on the top to another color to better match the new additions?

I was thinking the same exact thing! After $33 million.......I guess that we'll have to live with it. It goes with many other ugly new developments in Portland.....Bay House being a prime example.

in the first pic there rendering showed a balcony outside with people standing on it .did they decide not to go with it
They eliminated it. The architectural plans show a balcony with a pair of doors going out onto it. The only thing I could imagine was 2 dozen + smokers out there during intermission and a drunk patron falling over the railing onto the street below. The balcony wasn't a good idea to begin with.

We were down there on Wednesday evening, and I was actually quite surprised at how well the new addition in place of the suicide stairs integrates into the existing building. Based on the renderings, I was worried it wouldn't flow into the existing building very well.

I still think they need to change the color on that brown siding/panleing on top. With these nice new additions on the corners, it now looks even more like it was built in the 70s.

Last edited:

Back