Portland - Civic Center

My prediction is that the Pirates will either relocate to another AHL city far from Maine and closer to Arizona next year or Brian will come back to the Cumberland County Commissioners with with his tail between his legs and renegotiate a lessor or similar deal to stay in Portland.

As far as Biddeford/Saco building a new 5000 seat arena and landing the team, I do not see it at all. To plan, permit and build a new venue would be at least two years down the road. Lewiston, which is obviously the state's second largest city/metropolitan area, could not fill the Colisee on opening night with $10 and below tickets along with a percentage of comp admissions. Biddeford's small population, demographics and income levels just would not support the team in the future. Corporate sponsorship would also be another limiting factor in the team's financial security. In addition, the AHL would cringe at the though of one of their teams playing in such a small limited market, Glens Falls is the rare exception. Very few Portland/Westbrook/South Portland/Falmouth residents are going to drive to Biddeford to watch the Pirates and that is the bulk of Greater Portland's population base. The Pirate's owner was not crazy about the CCCC's 7000 seat hockey capacity, could not imagine him committing to a much smaller venue long term.

Because Portland is a good hockey town and has a proven track record, the city will eventually land another team that is unhappy with their current situation, it may take a couple of years and it needs to be an AHL over an ECHL franchise in my opinion. I also don't think professional hockey players would be content with living in Lewiston or Biddeford during the winter, nor would visiting teams look forward to staying in either of those cities due to dining, entertainment and lodging limitations.

Today's Bangor Daily News www.bangordailynews.com "Pirates hockey team enters into talks to buy Saco property for new permanent home arena".

If they're really going that route, then why don't they build the arena on the land in Westbrook that Jason Snyder proposed to build an arena a few years ago? He lost the land he proposed to build a mall on, but I'm pretty sure he still owns the land on the other side of Stroudwater Street where he proposed the arena. Westbrook makes much more sense then Saco if you want they want to be near the population center of Greater Portland.

If they're really going that route, then why don't they build the arena on the land in Westbrook that Jason Snyder proposed to build an arena a few years ago? He lost the land he proposed to build a mall on, but I'm pretty sure he still owns the land on the other side of Stroudwater Street where he proposed the arena. Westbrook makes much more sense then Saco if you want they want to be near the population center of Greater Portland.

As you can read in the article, it is the City of Saco that is being proactive and contacting the Pirates about the available land. The Pirates already have their training facility (MHG Arena) in that area and an established relationship with the City of Saco.

I am still standing by my prediction. Any news that keeps the Pirates relevant works in the owner's favor when he attempts to renegotiate a new deal with the CCCC this upcoming spring. Cannot see the team playing an additional 2 more years in Lewiston until a new mini arena is built in Biddeford, Saco, Westbrook or any other Greater Portland community.

Here's a direct link to that BDN story. An interesting new possibility. Was there more to the Pirates and the Civic Center disagreement than how much concessions/alcohol revenue would go to the Pirates this season? Is there something else the Pirates want that they aren't getting here (I haven't followed the story that closely, maybe I am missing something)?. It seems like permanently relocating the team and helping to partially finance a new arena would cost the Pirates owners dramatically more than they would have lost from a smaller percentage of concession revenues in Portland.

I am still standing by my prediction. Any news that keeps the Pirates relevant works in the owner's favor when he attempts to renegotiate a new deal with the CCCC this upcoming spring. Cannot see the team playing an additional 2 more years in Lewiston until a new mini arena is built in Biddeford, Saco, Westbrook or any other Greater Portland community.
After reading this mornings article in the Press Herald "Hockey group with link to Pirates looks at Saco for arena" it seems pretty clear to me that option #1 is to return to Portland and the Civic Center. I think the 2 sides will eventually work things out and the Pirates will be back at the CCCC in 2014/15 with possibly 4 to 6 games each year being played in Lewiston. In the end both sides need each other and it will all get worked out.

There's no way in hell they're building that expensive of an arena in Saco just for them. Like you said, there's also no way the Coyotes will sign off on letting them play in Lewiston for 2-3 more years. There are other teams knocking on the door waiting for Petrovik to move out of the 50 mile radius so they can come here.

This is so so stupid. These guys really couldn't work out a deal with a newly renovated arena? What a waste

I agree that the Pirates will return to the Civic Center, but I do not see any games scheduled in Lewiston. OK, maybe just one to say thanks to the L/A community for their support during tough times!

I agree that the Pirates will return to the Civic Center, but I do not see any games scheduled in Lewiston. OK, maybe just one to say thanks to the L/A community for their support during tough times!
Well, last year Petrovek said that 40 games was too much for the Portland market and that they would play 6 to 8 games per year in Lewiston. Maybe with the renovation, extra income and whatever agreement they come to with with the Civic Center all games will be in Portland.

wgBSVvi.jpg
Corey, that is a great photo... with the glass going in, the Civic Center renovation is finally starting to look like something!

Hi, everyone. I'm Mark, and I'm new here (although I'm certainly not new to Portland... I'm a native). Is there a "New Members Introduce Yourself" thread anywhere?

Yep,

You can never say never but i'll wager my last dollar there will not be an arena built in saco.
In a recent article on the Maine Hockey Journal website Petrovek stated that he wants to remain in the Portland market and ideally it would be to return to the Cumberland County Civic Center.
He also said that he is looking at several other options to remain in the Portland market which are building a 5,000 seat arena in Saco or Biddeford as a location for a new arena but wouldn't give specifics. Remaining in Lewiston (don't see that happening) or teaming up with the ownership of the Portland Red Claws and expanding the seating capacity that's being planned for the new Thompson Point arena.
He said a decision on the Pirates future location would need to be decided by early January so that they can start planning for the 2014/15 season.
My bet is that they work out a deal with the Civic Center.

No chance in hell an arena would be built in Saco. How would that make financial sense for anybody involved? The red claws want their own little arena. If they were going to do a bigger one well they would have just gone with the CCCC. It's Portland or out of state for the Pirates. He truly has no choices after this season.

The last I heard, the Red Claws aren't even planning to include an ice sheet in their arena, and my hunch is that they're aiming for 4000 seats because that's a good-sized crowd for a D-League game, while keeping an intimate, fans-in-your-face atmosphere. Spread those 4000 fans out in the Civic Center and the place is -- and looks, and feels -- half-empty. So making the new arena larger would actually play against what I think the Claws are trying to create.

Personally, I think all of Petrovik's talk is just posturing, trying to create some leverage with the CCCC management. I've heard he looked at the Adirondack facility when the Pirates were recently out there, as they're losing their team to Allentown. I've also heard a rumor that the Coyotes might buy the team and possibly move it out west (Albuquerque has a couple of arenas begging for regular tenants). I'd be willing to bet that we'll see the Pirates suiting up in their spiffy new locker room on Spring St. 11 months from now.

The last I heard, the Red Claws aren't even planning to include an ice sheet in their arena, and my hunch is that they're aiming for 4000 seats because that's a good-sized crowd for a D-League game, while keeping an intimate, fans-in-your-face atmosphere. Spread those 4000 fans out in the Civic Center and the place is -- and looks, and feels -- half-empty. So making the new arena larger would actually play against what I think the Claws are trying to create.

Personally, I think all of Petrovik's talk is just posturing, trying to create some leverage with the CCCC management. I've heard he looked at the Adirondack facility when the Pirates were recently out there, as they're losing their team to Allentown. I've also heard a rumor that the Coyotes might buy the team and possibly move it out west (Albuquerque has a couple of arenas begging for regular tenants). I'd be willing to bet that we'll see the Pirates suiting up in their spiffy new locker room on Spring St. 11 months from now.
The locker room portion of the Civic Center renovation is on hold. From what I am told the Pirates were going to pay for a significant portion of that part of the project and until the Pirates and the Civic Center agree to terms (if it ever happens) that part of the project will remain on hold.
As far as Thompson Point project is concerned I agree with you that the intention of the Red Claws is to have a basketball only arena where the fans are close to the action. Adding an ice sheet would eliminate that possiblity.
Petrovek stated in the Maine Hockey Journal article that he visited the Glen Falls, NY arena recently but his intention is to stay in the Portland market.

With his tail between his legs! Saco Pirates or Lewiston Pirates totally unrealistic and would not create long term profitability. Now the Cumberland County Commissioners have the upper hand and Brian will get a less attractive deal than what he could have had a couple of months ago. Still a potentially positive marriage for both sides, and even sweeter for the City of Portland which emerges pretty much unscathed in the process.

Here's a direct link to that BDN story. An interesting new possibility. Was there more to the Pirates and the Civic Center disagreement than how much concessions/alcohol revenue would go to the Pirates this season? Is there something else the Pirates want that they aren't getting here (I haven't followed the story that closely, maybe I am missing something)?. It seems like permanently relocating the team and helping to partially finance a new arena would cost the Pirates owners dramatically more than they would have lost from a smaller percentage of concession revenues in Portland.

According to this Steve Solloway column from last month, "The businessman in Petrovek wants to be a partner in managing the Civic Center, not a long-term tenant. After paying rent for more than a decade and putting fans in the seats, he wanted a bigger voice and a bigger piece of the pie." Those of us who wonder whatever happened to New Year's Portland after Petrovek took over managing it may not see his desire as a good thing.

With his tail between his legs! Saco Pirates or Lewiston Pirates totally unrealistic and would not create long term profitability. Now the Cumberland County Commissioners have the upper hand and Brian will get a less attractive deal than what he could have had a couple of months ago. Still a potentially positive marriage for both sides, and even sweeter for the City of Portland which emerges pretty much unscathed in the process.
Precisely! He can't make money at the prices he's charging up there, and there's little economic lift for Lewiston because there's nothing around the Colisee for fans to go spend money at (restaurants, bars, etc.) I wonder how many Portland-area fans are even going up, and of those how many are making their way into downtown to find food & drink.

After complaining to numerous involved parties during the renovation planning process, I am glad to see they took my advice and spent some money on paint and covered the hideous silver steel support braces along the sides of the arena. This is evident in Corey's last photo and is a nice visual improvement that was not going to be addressed in the budget.

For those interested, the 7000 refurbished permanent seats have been arriving from Hussey Seating during the past two weeks. The new seats will be a maroon/reddish color very similar to the seats in Bangor's new arena. The 1500 new floor seats will be delivered to the Civic Center in the near future. Not sure why it is taking so long to find or announce what company/corporation has landed the naming rights contract?

Back