Portland International Jetport | PWM

Any guesses on tomorrow's new service announcement for PWM?

In a surprise move aimed at improving diplomatic relations, Air Koryo is announcing new routes from Pyongyang to the US using the Tupolev TU-204. They meant to announce service to PDX but they put the wrong Portland in their FAA application and they didn't dare to correct it because the DPRK is too perfect to make such a silly mistake.

It is not a new airline. The terminal is pretty well maxed out with the eight that we have and until the new jetways at Gates 12 and 13 are added I don't see any additional airlines unless Frontier, JetBlue or Sun Country depart.

Last edited:
Also noticed on the Jetport site that AA still lists that they serve Miami. That could be a guess but I’m sticking with Breeze going big in Portland with more routes

Breeze-Vegas, SRQ, RSW, and Vero are some my guesses.
Southwest- Orlando, Nashville,
Southwest seems uninterested in expanding at PWM. They maintain their 3-4x daily to BWI and 1x daily seasonal to MDW and seem content to leave it at that. They've dabbled in offering limited service to MCO but it never really stuck. Mid-September also isn't when they'd be announcing a seasonal route for Summer of 2024 (Nashville, Denver)

So my guess is another Breeze route to the Sunshine State.

And not necessarily a "New Service" but I'm thinking United will make PWM-DEN a year-round route in the relatively near future.

Breeze does serve LAX out of Providence seasonally so the west coast has some future potential. Which western destination would benefit Maine the most and have the greatest chance of success, LAX, PHX, SLC or LAS? Personally, I think Delta non stop to SLC would be very popular and they could eliminate seasonal MSP as a trade off.

Breeze does serve LAX out of Providence seasonally so the west coast has some future potential. Which western destination would benefit Maine the most and have the greatest chance of success, LAX, PHX, SLC or LAS?

SAN

Breeze does serve LAX out of Providence seasonally so the west coast has some future potential. Which western destination would benefit Maine the most and have the greatest chance of success, LAX, PHX, SLC or LAS? Personally, I think Delta non stop to SLC would be very popular and they could eliminate seasonal MSP.
It's a fantasy but SFO or SEA would be amazing. Realistically LAS could work as a winter-seasonal destination and SLC would be a great connecting point for Delta's western network.

Not sure if San Diego would draw as much interest from Mainers as the Los Angeles metropolitan area? When I worked the ramp for Delta in the late 90's, the amount of luggage and ski's that we loaded on the aircraft with SLC tags were off the charts from November to April!

I have always preferred a one or two hour layover in a modern terminal with food options over a 2 hour minimum drive to Boston, so a one stop itinerary has never been an issue for me. It's also the return that is the most agonizing, you want to get home but you still have that drive, train or bus ride that is never departing within minutes after you land that you have to deal with. I have a lot of friends that travel extensively and they avoid Boston at all costs unless they are traveling international which I understand.

I don’t trust airlines…non-stop guarantees that you will step off the plane at your destination. The bus ride to Logan is painless and convenient.

I don't trust buses and there is an actual cost factor (fare, taxi, parking) which can be counterproductive if you're trying to save money on a flight. It's still a two hour ride which is a "self imposed layover" in a bus or train and that doesn't include arriving at the PTC 15 to 30 minutes prior to departure in addition to potential Boston traffic issues which has caused me to miss a flight in the past. I'm already at my one stop layover before you even arrive at Logan and you are still an hour away from boarding your plane! Flying out of Portland is convenient, a bus or train ride to Boston is not. There is no right or wrong Jeff and it's whatever works best for you. :)

Last edited:
I don't trust buses and there is an actual cost factor (fare, taxi, parking) which can be counterproductive if you're trying to save money on a flight. It's still a two hour ride which is a "self imposed layover" in a bus or train and that doesn't include arriving at the PTC 15 to 30 minutes prior to departure in addition to potential Boston traffic issues which has caused me to miss a flight in the past. I'm already at my one stop layover before you even arrive at Logan and you are still an hour away from boarding your plane! Flying out of Portland is convenient, a bus or train ride to Boston is not. There is no right or wrong Jeff and it's whatever works best for you. :)

Yup.....hours at JFK is not my idea of fun or convenient.🙂

45 minutes early but… PWM-RSW🏖 with Breeze. That will do very well
Starting November 15th. Wednesdays and Sundays with the A220-300

Agreed that this is a common sense route that will do well.

Breeze also seems to be adding more frequency and capacity to Charleston. They've increased to 3x weekly using both the E-195 and A220.

I wonder if the Jetport will give Gate 6 to Breeze, move JetBlue to Gate 5. Also move JB to the occasional seasonal counter and give Breeze JetBlue's counter? Since JetBlue has gone seasonal, its time we treat them as a seasonal.

Great question and here is the answer: JetBlue remains a signatory airline that pays for preferential Gate 6 usage and larger exclusive use counter space. Breeze has not yet signed on as a signatory carrier so it will continue to use the common (unleased) ticket counter and Gate 5.

Last edited:

Back