Portland International Jetport | PWM

Breeze wants international, build the FIS.....we need a dunkin donuts inside the terminal....starbucks is too expensive and the line is too long
Have you seen the prices at Dunkin lately? For a few cents more....I'll take the superior quality of Starbucks drinks and food.

Whether its Dunks or some other outfit, the Jetport desperately needs another breakfast option. Great American Bagel, Starbucks and Burger Dong just don't cut it.

Not a particularly picky eater and haven't ever flown through PWM, but safe to say I'll be avoiding Burger Dong at all costs ;)

The contract company that handles the food and beverage operations at the Jetport also handle the turnpike rest areas, so we are probably limited on choices. Coffee by Design or the drive thru aroma joe places would be good

From what I could find, HMSHost (which still operates the Jetport concessions) sold off their travel plaza portfolio; I can't readily find who is operating the Turnpike plazas now. But if HMSHost still has contracts with Cinnabon.....

I agree with the concession issues raised. Anyone know when the concessionaires agreement/contract will go back on the street?
My experience this summer after a departing afternoon flight delay was the options were poor. Burger King was the only real option minus a sit down meal.
The trend now is to bring in local chains mixed with national brands. The Jetport does have a bit of that now, but could add in something like an Otto, Portland Pie, Amato's or Aroma Joes and have express versions.

On the air service side, the American NYC news is welcome even if a returning route but year-round service. Will JetBlue keep their LGA service with the alliance winding down?
Would love the DFW service to go to as close to year-round as possible for more east-west connections. I'm curious why AA makes this summer Saturday service and then goes to daily in the fall to discontinued.
The summer-fall seasonal routes all seem to be sticking around longer, but same thing in that it would be great if the Chicago-Midway, Minneapolis, and/or Denver route duration could be extended. Must just go to show that after November and through the winter traffic is predominantly north-south.
Another positive is that Sun Country looks to be coming back next summer and extended their schedule longer this year. They also look like they are going to 5x per week in summer after the initial 2x per week. Count me as surprised as I did not anticipate this service lasting this long after any possible air service incentives may have expired or if the load factors and yields would hold up, but apparently they have to gain additional service. And this is on top of Delta start of daily seasonal service to MSP. I enjoy connecting through the MSP airport on east-west flights over Chicago airports.

If Amato's or Subway can be in a gas station, it definitely can be in the Jetport. Both are franchises, so it would be on someone to buy the franchise option to locate it in the Jetport. I remember when the Jetport only had Jetport news and the old restaurant above baggage claim. I have been in other airports similar to Portland and they offer way less than what if offered now at the Jetport. Auntie Annies always seems to find a place in an airport. I would like to see a market that would offer fresh sandwiches etc to go. This could be where the local comes in.

I think one question is, when is there a volume of people waiting to depart? Morning rush is obvious, but other than that when are there enough crowds waiting long enough to consider eating? I just looked at the departure display, and while there are 12 flights departing between 5 and 7 Am, things are pretty scattered with 2-4 flights per hour through midday until roughly 4:00 when you have another 9 leaving between 4 and 6. So, given that volume profile, how many concourse concession stands can the Jetport reasonably support? (And, where would they go unless they're to replace something existing?)

I think one question is, when is there a volume of people waiting to depart? Morning rush is obvious, but other than that when are there enough crowds waiting long enough to consider eating? I just looked at the departure display, and while there are 12 flights departing between 5 and 7 Am, things are pretty scattered with 2-4 flights per hour through midday until roughly 4:00 when you have another 9 leaving between 4 and 6. So, given that volume profile, how many concourse concession stands can the Jetport reasonably support? (And, where would they go unless they're to replace something existing?)
Last week I arrived into PWM on the 2:14 Delta flight from Minneapolis which is right in the midst of the afternoon rush. The terminal was absolutely packed with passengers waiting to depart on flights and all of the restaurants and shops were crowded with people. It had the feel of a much larger airport at that time of day.

1698256289743.png

This was expected. It's all part of the AA-JB Northeast divorce. This is why AA restarted PWM-LGA.

JetBlue will still serve PWM seasonally from JFK (2-3x daily) but with the full closing of their Burlington station I really wouldn't be surprised if JetBlue eventually pulls out of PWM. It's a legacy station that really doesn't fit their overall network strategy anymore.

PWM to Nashville starts June 8th Weekend only to start Sat and Sun non stop. This was supposed to happen 2 years ago, but Covid hit and the route never happened.

PWM to Nashville starts June 8th Weekend only to start Sat and Sun non stop. This was supposed to happen 2 years ago, but Covid hit and the route never happened.

And of course I'm going to Nashville in May, before the start of direct flights 🥴

PWM to Nashville will be a nice option for Unum folks (if one can't fit on the corporate jet). Looks like it's about two hours from BNA to Chattanooga, might be nice compared to layover in DC/Charlotte/Philly/Chicago.

Pretty insane how much better the Jetport is doing in terms of enplanement numbers. These forecast numbers are on the Jetports Sustainable Airport Master Plan document.

Attachments

• 83C5C69B-25FA-4050-97C7-9FB0C600CB60.png
    83C5C69B-25FA-4050-97C7-9FB0C600CB60.png
    143 KB · Views: 43
  • 24604FF6-5D33-4748-B182-DAEA677B0B4E.png
    24604FF6-5D33-4748-B182-DAEA677B0B4E.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 41
Also how about this one! Every airline the Jetport had in 2013 has expanded service since then, none have dropped or cut!
Delta added JFK and MSP.
JetBlue added LGA
Southwest added BNA
United added DEN
American added ORD, DFW, MIA, LGA!
Now they also have Sun Country, Frontier, and Breeze who keeps selling out!

Attachments

• 18F7500F-B937-417C-BC5E-9EA1B3524962.png
    18F7500F-B937-417C-BC5E-9EA1B3524962.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 28

Back