Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

This shot right here is why you're a brilliant photographer, Corey. Not only are you capturing two development projects at once, but you're also capturing the overall juxtaposition of the Luminato Condos perfectly and a brilliant sunset against the two tallest structures in Portland.

Awesome, simply awesome.

What is the name of that church?

Luring WEX downtown would be great for Portland. Rumor has them possibly moving to the Portland Square parcel on Spring Street if they are the losing bidder on the Thames Street lot. Designing a 100,000 sf building into only four floors could be challenging and hopefully it won't end up looking like it belongs in a suburban office park. Now if only Portland could convince IDEXX to locate their corporate headquarters downtown!

Luring WEX downtown would be great for Portland. Rumor has them possibly moving to the Portland Square parcel on Spring Street if they are the losing bidder on the Thames Street lot.

I feel like "rumors" about Portland Square have been circulating for over a decade at this point :p

I'm curious about this quote in the article: "An adjacent parking lot at 100 Fore St. would provide up to 1,750 parking spaces for private and public use."

100 Fore Street is the Hamilton Marine building, correct? Would that be torn down? Seems a waste to turn that into a massive parking lot with all of the other development that will be happening around there in the next decade.

1,750 parking spaces is bigger than any parking garage in downtown Portland or any parking lot for that matter. The Ocean Gateway garage has 720 spaces, while the Top of the Old Port lot has 540 spaces. I don't even think the Maine Med parking garage has 1,750 spaces. Source: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1362

I'm curious about this quote in the article: "An adjacent parking lot at 100 Fore St. would provide up to 1,750 parking spaces for private and public use."

100 Fore Street is the Hamilton Marine building, correct? Would that be torn down? Seems a waste to turn that into a massive parking lot with all of the other development that will be happening around there in the next decade.

1,750 parking spaces is bigger than any parking garage in downtown Portland or any parking lot for that matter. The Ocean Gateway garage has 720 spaces, while the Top of the Old Port lot has 540 spaces. I don't even think the Maine Med parking garage has 1,750 spaces. Source: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1362

Based on the aerial rendering in the article, it looks like the Hamilton Marine and VA buildings would remain behind the new WEX building. So I'm not entirely sure how they plan to wedge in that much parking along with the Mountfort St. extension.

wex1-768x531.jpg

Designing a 100,000 sf building into only four floors could be challenging and hopefully it won't end up looking like it belongs in a suburban office park.

In my opinion the proposal is basically for a suburban office style building right on the waterfront. It's a squat 4 stories with a large footprint. The one part I'm in favor of is bringing lots of new employees to the waterfront, which will help to balance the preponderance of hotels and tourism-related businesses. A big stable business would help ensure year-round life in the area. Still, I'd rather see them occupy a signature new office tower elsewhere downtown.

Well said Max and I couldn't agree with you more! The vibrancy this project will bring to downtown Portland along with some much needed corporate clout is tremendous.

I agree, the more contemporary design and change from the repetitive brick and granite look is refreshing. But I'll still take the Atlantic Bayside project over the current dusty parking lot.

I agree, the more contemporary design and change from the repetitive brick and granite look is refreshing. But I'll still take the Atlantic Bayside project over the current dusty parking lot.

Actually I'm saying at first glance I prefer the Atlantic Bayside project, not so much because of the building design but rather the proposed mix of uses and layout. I agree the primary building shown in that Atlantic Bayside mockup is not very exciting.

My bad, I now see where you said you "prefer it to the WEX proposal". In my opinion, there are so many new structures in that three block area that already have retail/office/residential uses. So I favor the design along with the 450 plus workers unless WEX loses the bid and decides to build taller at Portland Square or any of the lots to the east of City Hall. What I don't want to see is WEX fail to get the Thames Street property and end up building outside of downtown Portland!

That area has potential to become quite an employment hub, with Tilson Tech and WEX both headquartered within a block of each other, and more office space planned for the block between Fore, India and Thames St.

Right now that area feels very sterile and seasonal, it would be nice to see some year-round vitality.

In my opinion, there are so many new structures in that three block area that already have retail/office/residential uses.

That's a good point, and the entire block just to the west is proposed to be built out with mixed-use buildings (in addition to the AC Hotel currently under construction).

There's no doubt a major employer like WEX would provide steady, year-round activity in the area which would help support and attract more restaurants, retail and other amenities. It's just I would love to see a new office tower get built downtown and there are so few employers the size of WEX that could commit to the kind of lease necessary to build one.

There's no doubt a major employer like WEX would provide steady, year-round activity in the area which would help support and attract more restaurants, retail and other amenities. It's just I would love to see a new office tower get built downtown and there are so few employers the size of WEX that could commit to the kind of lease necessary to build one.

I have a hunch that the next tall building built on the Peninsula will be primarily Condo's or mixed use. Tim Soley's vision of a 20+ story tower at Canal Plaza was intended to be entirely residential.

Even without a major office tenant Class A vacancy rates are still very low in the region. If ever there was a time to build, it would be now.

wer

By the way the Atlantic Bayside / Jackrabbit proposal is viewable on the city's website. It's pages 122 - 167 in this PDF:

http://www.portlandmaine.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_05092017-2051

I've just glanced through it but my initial reaction is I prefer it to the WEX proposal.

Very cool. But I can't see the older folks up on Munjoy Hill going for that, the ones with the views looking down below. They would have to watch young, hip, office workers drinking craft brews having fun next to that rooftop firepit. (and it might lead to sex, after) "We don't do that in Maine!"

Does anyone ever know what happened with "Phase II" of the Jordan's Meat factory redevelopment? A 4-story condo / retail development to fill the block between Fore, India and Middle Streets, which is now occupied by the parking lot for the Hampton Inn

It was approved by the planning board way back in 2012 but shovels never hit the dirt. Anyone know why?

10061561_H8279763-600x281.jpg

Does anyone ever know what happened with "Phase II" of the Jordan's Meat factory redevelopment? A 4-story condo / retail development to fill the block between Fore, India and Middle Streets, which is now occupied by the parking lot for the Hampton Inn

It was approved by the planning board way back in 2012 but shovels never hit the dirt. Anyone know why?

My general recollection is that there were several proposals for that site, one might have been condos. Ultimately only the hotel was built and development of the other half of the property was put on hold indefinitely. If and when something is built there they will need to incorporate parking because it seems to me like that lot is always full. I assume it's all hotel parking.

31%20Fore%20Street%20Portland%20ME%20.jpg

I noticed 31 Fore Street is now listed on Zillow. Top floor condo is listed for $1.6 million! I wonder if this is a record for a condo in Portland?

I also wonder how the development of the Portland Company property will impact potential sales in this building since it seems to be right behind where they've proposed to build townhouses into the southern slope of Fore Street.

Back