Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

The Planning Board is set to consider 218 Washington Ave tonight, a 4-story condo or apartment proposed for Washington Ave near the 295 ramp. I read some of the engineering notes from Curran on the city's site and they express some concern about the feasibility of building on such a steep slope. Every time I drive down that stretch I laugh at that green shed that looks like it's about to fall down the hill.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-09%20at%202.35.48%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-09%20at%202.37.00%20PM.png

233.png

The Planning Board is set to consider 218 Washington Ave tonight, a 4-story condo or apartment proposed for Washington Ave near the 295 ramp. I read some of the engineering notes from Curran on the city's site and they express some concern about the feasibility of building on such a steep slope. Every time I drive down that stretch I laugh at that green shed that looks like it's about to fall down the hill.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-09%20at%202.35.48%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-09%20at%202.37.00%20PM.png

233.png

That's actually quite a handsome building for that location in my opinion. Woodard & Curran I believe is the City's peer review firm so it would make sense that they have concerns since they are being paid to come up with something to say.

Does anyone ever know what happened with "Phase II" of the Jordan's Meat factory redevelopment? A 4-story condo / retail development to fill the block between Fore, India and Middle Streets, which is now occupied by the parking lot for the Hampton Inn

It was approved by the planning board way back in 2012 but shovels never hit the dirt. Anyone know why?

10061561_H8279763-600x281.jpg

They weren't able to get their anchor tenant signed up for a fall start, and they didn't want to start the following spring because of the impact on hotel operations. This was a mixed-use project including office and residential. Permits probably expired and there likely hasn't been a compelling reason to move forward again given the cash that's probably generated from the parking area. At some point attention will turn back to this site, and that will probably be soon given everything else that's happening in the neighborhood.

.... At some point attention will turn back to this site, and that will probably be soon given everything else that's happening in the neighborhood.

Speaking of attention turning back to a site, What the heck is going on with Midtown? The last news about the project is from October when Federated hinted that they were "going back to the drawing board" but it's been 6 months now and there hasn't been a single word from either federated or the city.

That plan for phase II of the Jordan's site is dead. In 2014 the developers sold the site to the hotel management company that owns and operates the Hampton Inn, so that they'd have direct control over the parking lot.

Because they're property managers, not developers, new construction on the site is unlikely: it's not in their realm of expertise, and they're going to be reluctant to do anything that might complicate their use of their parking lot.

On the bright side, the sale of the land may have helped Opechee (the previous owners) finance other projects they were involved in subsequently, like the Marriott on Commercial Street and the new apartments going up on York Street.

An interesting arch debate -- "Brutalism.' The building in the video is in Providence, and I know some on this blog will have a good opinion relative to that. I think if it is truly outstanding in his architecture, never touch it. But if you've ever spent a lot of time in D.C., after awhile it gets depressing, or maybe not?

http://www.pressherald.com/media/video/brutalist-style-buildings-targeted-eyesores/

And here's the result? A Marriott Residence Inn? Hope they don't do something like this in Portland...

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20170309/icon-eyesore-demolition-to-begin-on-fogarty-building-in-downtown-providence

Anyone notice the sidebar on this Press Herald article from yesterday? The article is about rent-control but the sidebar mentions a "proposed referendum" containing the following:

The ordinance would prevent a zone change from being enacted if 25 percent of residents living within 500 feet sign a document opposing the change. However, a developer could overcome that obstacle by getting a majority of residents living within 100 feet of the site to sign a document in support within a 45-day period.

At first glance it sounds like that would really impact any potential zoning changes and the corresponding new development. I'd think there may be some value if a majority of people opposed a zoning change, but 25% seems like a really low threshold to reach.

am assuming "residents" means landowners. otherwise, a neighborhood could "pile up" some temporary renters to get that vote.

AC Hotel / Marriott

3kyqcjK.jpg

The beginning/end of Middle Street

FOYPSxS.jpg

Looking down the hill along Hancock Street

VrHmq5G.jpg

Another India Street parking lot could be biting the dust. From next week's Historic Preservation Board agenda, a proposed credit union branch with one upper-floor apartment for the corner of Middle and India:

io8hNb6.png

I'm impressed that the credit union is willing to build on such a small, constrained lot.

Additional renderings here:
http://portlandmaine.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_06072017-2077?html=true

Not bad, will be nice to have that corner finished out and it connects well with the structure that is currently being built next door on India Street. The new construction either completed, underway or proposed in that area of downtown is incredible! The new 4 level garage on Brown Street will also be a welcome addition to that long neglected section of the city.

Last edited:
Man the India Street area just keeps getting better and better! I think the cPort building is a great corner infill proposal, although I'm not crazy about the tall blank wall presented by the stair/elevator shaft on the India street side. There is a planning staff suggestion that this shaft be moved to the other side of the building and a more attractive facade face India Street. Not sure if that's feasible but it would drastically improve the aesthetics. With the current construction and all the proposals for new construction a whole new neighborhood is being created down there.

The new 4 level garage on Brown Street will also be a welcome addition to that long neglected section of the city.

I agree this garage would be an improvement to the surface lot it would be built over, but that block of Brown between Congress and Cumberland would be parking garages on both sides. Certainly won't be an appealing pedestrian streetscape (not that it is now). Too bad some street-level commercial activity couldn't be included on the Brown Street side.

Staff notes in their comments that one side benefit of this garage might be freeing up some demand for nearby surface parking, thereby allowed those lots to be redeveloped into better uses.

9735a88b5d63419e80b3db9a8ae90b52.jpg

I don't recall this project during its planning stages, but demolition of this site on Marginal Way is moving along quickly. I'm not that enthused by this kind of strip-mall development on what is a key gateway to the peninsula. I still think the "Century Plaza" development is a real let down.

Nice find Max, I was wondering what was going to be built in that location. Portland's historical construction boom is exciting but sometimes difficult keeping up with all the changes. Agree that this project could be more substantial and visually appealing but I give Marginal Way a free pass due to it's odd collection of food, retail, office and residential. It's come a long way from how it looked in the seventies!

A recent shot of the 101 York Street project from the Casco Bay Bridge:

3KVvao2.jpg

I think that 101 York St. looks great. I really like the light color that they used on the left side....a nice contrast to all the historical brick and grey industrial looks currently being used with many developments.

9735a88b5d63419e80b3db9a8ae90b52.jpg

I don't recall this project during its planning stages, but demolition of this site on Marginal Way is moving along quickly. I'm not that enthused by this kind of strip-mall development on what is a key gateway to the peninsula. I still think the "Century Plaza" development is a real let down.

Where is that going (alternatively, what is being demolished)?

^ That's 191 Marginal Way, the former Napa store and AAA garage. I believe the owner/developer is Peter Quesada, the old crank who owns most of the land on that side of Marginal Way. He's consistently opposed the city's vision for Bayside because he only wants to build strip malls down there. He's the same guy who refuses to take down the fence between Bayside Trail and Trader Joe's out of his personal spite.

Because it's technically a "renovation" of an existing building, it didn't need planning board approval. However, it looks like city staff forced them to shrink the parking lot and extend the sidewalk so that the frontage isn't one continuous curb cut – so that's something.

Demand for this kind of strip-center retail space isn't all that robust: the "Century Plaza" thing has been slow to lease up and still has quite a bit of vacant space, and this location is much more isolated – so we'll see how this goes for him. This area is also prone to increasing flooding, though, so maybe he figures it's the best he can do.

Demand for this kind of strip-center retail space isn't all that robust: the "Century Plaza" thing has been slow to lease up and still has quite a bit of vacant space, and this location is much more isolated – so we'll see how this goes for him. This area is also prone to increasing flooding, though, so maybe he figures it's the best he can do.

"Century Plaza" is only about 50% occupied right now and if it weren't for Chipotle I doubt anyone would go there, since that neighborhood is really fairly isolated from large residential clusters. This seems like another strip mall that will remain mostly empty.

Marginal Way is really living up to its name, and seeing as Federated seems to have abandoned "Midtown" , I doubt there will be any new life added to that area any time soon.

Back