Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

I actually went to Portland yesterday - definitely a spur of the moment thing, my friend and I both had the day off so we just went for a drive, up through York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and eventually wound up in Portland. Just was there basically for dinner at Sebago Brewing Company - Nice place, it was hopping upstairs, we could only get a table downstairs. We couldn't get into Gritty's at 6pm, even just for dinner, cause my buddy is under 21, which I thought was a little ridiculous. Stopped in at Breaking New Grounds, and walked around the Old Port for about half an hour.

The collection of old victorian brick buildings in Portland is really impressive. I love that alley with all the bars, restaurants, and clubs on it, and my sister said its crazy on the wkend nights. I think it wouldbe cool if they built up that street along the water a little bit, moved some of the surface parking lots underground and put in some new buildings there, maybe a center island of trees/ green space.

The Hilton is kinda ugly, I'm surprised they let that thru like that, but in a city with so many nice buildings I guess we can let it slide.

Obviously, it wasn't a real visit, but I'm sure i'll make it up more this summer and really get to see the city. It makes it so much more interesting to visit knowing about all the new development going in up there. But I had a great very short trip. Great city!

You should have told them you knew 457. See how far that would have got you. I like Sebago Brewing a lot. Very simple business model. Sell decent food, good beer, in a simple setting, until late night. That place must make so much bank.

The Hilton is kinda fugly. I do like at night, they have the lights that aim up at the top floor, and they all change colors. That's pretty cool.

This is what I got from Kate. Don't know what to make of it:

"I've been digging around on this for a week and a half and it keeps getting more strange but no one will tell me what is going on. There are some strange connections. For example, Fred Forsley's real estate company, Harborview Properties, is selling the Westin condos, but Fred is a partner in the Longfellow condos -- kind of a competitor. Also, Michael Liberty is listed as a realtor for ... Harborview Properties. I was hoping you'd have some more insight on this."

Perhaps the Longfellow/Riverwalk people want to take this spot and just make a super dooper big connected Riverwalk. That would be ideal to put the garage and condos there. That would make the Peak's Island people much happier. Maybe the group that wanted to build the hotel on the old pier can just take this land if Westin doesn't. It's gotta become something.

I love the Providence Place Mall so much. It is beautiful from the outside and the inside. They really did a great job with the place.

The development of the old Church into apartments/hotel right next door is coming along too, it has been topped off. I guess the church/temple construction was stopped during the great depression and never completed because of money, and they are using the original exterior, inches from the PPM and the Statehouse.

It's a wonder they didn't do this sooner, but nevertheless, VERY exciting

My Rhode Islandish is showing

Smuttynose said:
I actually went to Portland yesterday - definitely a spur of the moment thing, my friend and I both had the day off so we just went for a drive, up through York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and eventually wound up in Portland. Just was there basically for dinner at Sebago Brewing Company - Nice place, it was hopping upstairs, we could only get a table downstairs. We couldn't get into Gritty's at 6pm, even just for dinner, cause my buddy is under 21, which I thought was a little ridiculous. Stopped in at Breaking New Grounds, and walked around the Old Port for about half an hour.

The collection of old victorian brick buildings in Portland is really impressive. I love that alley with all the bars, restaurants, and clubs on it, and my sister said its crazy on the wkend nights. I think it wouldbe cool if they built up that street along the water a little bit, moved some of the surface parking lots underground and put in some new buildings there, maybe a center island of trees/ green space.

The Hilton is kinda ugly, I'm surprised they let that thru like that, but in a city with so many nice buildings I guess we can let it slide.

Obviously, it wasn't a real visit, but I'm sure i'll make it up more this summer and really get to see the city. It makes it so much more interesting to visit knowing about all the new development going in up there. But I had a great very short trip. Great city!

wow it is cool you did thsi sorta randomly.

the old port was very nice today when i was out and about running some errands at the court house. sunny, full of tourists etc.

the hilton is ugly, youre right, but that is sorta at the edge of the city, where the old port trails off and becomes industrial wasteland before becoming the ghettos of munjoy hill. so my point is it wasnt prime real estate when it was built, just fringe property. now that area is starting to come up and be worth comething. but gritty's is right, at night the building is pretty spectacular with a light show, and it is very nice inside with good location. hopefully nothing of the sort is built again downtown. in closing, to re-emphasize your original point - the building is indeed ugly as hell.

also, the street along the water you spoke of is commercial street, the city's maine gateway since the beginning of time when we were entered mainly from sea. it was where all of the industry etc was back in the day. now it appears not to be built up because it is the 21st century, but in actuality at one point it was considered pretty "built" and now they cant construct there because it is not zoned for any significant development (not even a real aquarium!).

and the street with the bars/clubs/restaurants is called wharf street. it is indeed hoppin on the weekend summer nights, especially since it is so narrow which forces everyone together closely. you should see it on new year's eve. wow. probably close to ten thousand people in the immediate area counting those in the bars. thats a lot for maine night life.

it is becoming gentrified, though. with one down and dirty club becoming an asian import store and another set to close and become an upscale restaurant. whatever. it will just force the tough guys into closer proximity at the remaining clubs which will lead to violence and more club closings which in turn will lead to house parties and violence which will promt a task force committee to discuss openning up a public space (a new club) for this energy to be channeled into. haha whatever.

glad you liked your trip! let us know if we can be of any assistance if you come again!

oh, and p.s. that large rather ugly series of parking lots right by the old port is scheduled (supposedly) to become an office tower of moderate height (10 floors) but talks are still preliminary. way back in the 1990s there was talkk of placing our new arena (when it arrives!!!) there. needs to be changed pronto, but our city is nowhere near as forward looking as manchester in terms of pro-development, so it is a slow and painful process to watch...

mp324jq.jpg

Corey said:

nice pic.

I'm having trouble picturing where you took this from. I see the smith-barney building to the left, and I know where federal street is for a reference point, but what garage/roof were you taking this from?

I am returning the $250 camcorder i just bought sometime this week for a new digital camera (i think) and i need some advice. what can or should i get in that price range with good zoom?

Good video on some developments in Portland, mostly to due with the public market.

http://www.wcsh6.com/video/news/player.aspx?aid=4706&sid=36252&bw=hi&cat=2

Patrick will find this part amusing. Use your stand alone media player to view it so you can pause and move to where you want to go in the video. When they show the quick sketch of Oceangate, pause it. What friggin city is in the background? haha, there are like 15 story buildings, all sorts of crazy doing, and walkways up hills, and other buildings that don't and won't exist.

funny cause i actually took a picture of the news woman as she was doing the story you posted in the above video-link:
dsc001971no.jpg

also, those dont look at all like 15-story buildings. what i think they might be is the westin and random building next to it that the city might wish to develop sometime in the future (or perhaps the longfellow?).

Building proposal chosen for downtown Westbrook
060602westbrook1mn.jpg

WESTBROOK ? A proposal for retail, commercial and residential space in two seven-story buildings is a committee's choice for developing Saccarappa Park. The committee, which reviewed four proposals to redevelop the downtown property along the Presumpscot River, recommended on Thursday that the city negotiate with Cape Builders and Remodeling to pursue the developer's project, called Saccarappa Terrace. The deal needs approval from the City Council.

"I think you made a great recommendation," Mayor Bruce Chuluda told the committee. "I think the people of Westbrook will be pleased."

This is the third time Westbrook has tried to develop the 1.18-acre property, which is seen as key to the city's downtown revitalization. The proposal by Cape Elizabeth-based Cape Builders calls for a smaller building fronting Main Street and a larger one along the Bridge Street spur for a total of 82,000 square feet. Glass walkways would connect the buildings on the third through seventh floors.

The first level would be retail space and the second would be commercial space. Forty-six condominiums - mostly priced between $250,000 and $350,000 - would be on the upper floors.

About 40 percent of the property would be preserved as public open space.

An underground parking lot would have 59 spaces. Another 12 to 15 spaces would be above ground, along the Bridge Street spur.

The committee chose Saccarappa Terrace over:

# A two-story building with retail on the first floor and office space on the second.

# A three-story office building.

# A five-story building with commercial and retail space on the ground floor and condos on the upper levels.

City Councilor Suzanne Joyce, one of the committee members, likes the mixed uses Saccarappa Terrace offers. "We want to get the foot traffic back downtown," she said. "I definitely think the residential will help."

Another member, Councilor Dorothy Aube, said the scale of the project - the tallest of the four proposals - helped give it presence.

"It had some forward thinking, some vision," she said.

The financial terms of the proposal were not disclosed Thursday. Cape Builders initially offered $500,000 for the property. Erik Carson, the city's economic and community development director, said he hopes the proposal will go before the City Council this month.

Staff Writer Ann S. Kim can be contacted at 791-6383 or at:

all of the comments following this sotry were positive. westbrook nows what it is going. they have IDEXX there, which chose to stay and expand rather than move into bayside, and they have the largest movie theater in the state, they just openned a khols, they have those other stores in that new plaza, they have a spectacular supermarket, they just build that new office building, and now they are constructing TWO 7 story buildings connected by a glass sky bridge. thats taller than anything in portland!

Well good for westbrook, i think the more westbrook builds up, the more we can include it in the urbanized 'portland area' meaning our city will expand to include the city propper, south portland, and westbrook, total population of 108,000 people. Im amazed that manchester still has more than the pop of all three towns. where the hell do they all live? maybe all of their apartments have families instead of single professionals living in them, like we used to back in the day.

welcome to portland, city where nothing ever gets built!

failedscaled.JPG
[/img]

The '03 one was built, however on Las Vegas Blvd and named "The Bellagio". :)

(I knew I could figure out a way to work my photos from my recent trip into here)

Patrick said:
welcome to portland, city where nothing ever gets built!

failedscaled.JPG
[/img]
You mean, nothing tall or architecturally pleasing ever get built in Portland, only more 4 story brick boxes (how exciting)!
Looks like 3PS is a good possibility to happen. Should know more this month.
I heard former Portland Mayor and prominent attorney for J.C. got served papers last week in regards to the now apparently defunct Waterview project. What a disgrace that whole project has become.
To bad Gov. Baldscrathy seams to be gaining momentum and doesn't really have a serious challenger from the Republicans. That probably means another 4 + years before any serious discussions will occur in regards to a new arena in Portland.

Portlandneedsnewarena --

Do you work in scarborough as well, or just reside there? The reason I ask is that a family member of mine works for a construction products company in scarborough and he filled me in on some information regarding the civic center the other day. wondering if you might work at same spot. apparently the civic center just issued an add to construction products suppliers in the satate of maine to see who would could sell them materials for a new roof at the lowest costl. in other words, it appears that they will be rennovating instead of building a new one. at this rate, we wont see a new arena for 25 years...jeesh, its already been 8 since they began talking seriously about it.

AND

on Waterview: I just called downeast realty, who is booking the units i guess, or so it says on the website. The guy I spoke with did not know much about the date on which construction would commence (a question i asked him). all he could say is that it is "up in the air still because of the Back Bay Tower..."

apparently th eBB tower wants to "tie it up as long as they can" according to this guy. He said they were a big pain in the ass and were the primary reason the project has not begun since he purchased the parking garage months ago.

AND THE BIGGEST NEWS: is that he said that Cohen just got TITLE INSURANCE, which he said was a MAJOR step. I didnt know what it was, so I looked it up:

Title insurance provides protection against title defects that were unknown to you at the time you purchased the policy.

The term "title" refers to the collected ownership records of a piece of real estate, including the transfer of any property rights, and any loans using the property as collateral. A clear line of title makes you much less vulnerable to ownership claims from other parties and to outstanding debts of previous property owners.

Before writing a policy, a title company will check for defects in your title by examining public records, including deeds, mortgages, wills, divorce decrees, court judgments, tax records, liens, encumbrances, and maps. The company will then defend in court any claims to the property that are covered by your policy, subject to certain limitations. If the company loses, it will pay you for covered losses up to the amount of your policy.

Title companies also handle the closing of a property sale and hold any earnest money in a trust account until the purchase is complete.

looks like Cohen can't pay the people he owes money back yet because of events that were unforeseen by him: first the parking garage, and now back bay tower. he is, according to the downeast realty guy, insured against this debt now, meaning the roject is still hanging in there. damn back bay tower!

Patrick said:
Portlandneedsnewarena --

Do you work in scarborough as well, or just reside there? The reason I ask is that a family member of mine works for a construction products company in scarborough and he filled me in on some information regarding the civic center the other day. wondering if you might work at same spot. apparently the civic center just issued an add to construction products suppliers in the satate of maine to see who would could sell them materials for a new roof at the lowest costl. in other words, it appears that they will be rennovating instead of building a new one. at this rate, we wont see a new arena for 25 years...jeesh, its already been 8 since they began talking seriously about it.

AND

on Waterview: I just called downeast realty, who is booking the units i guess, or so it says on the website. The guy I spoke with did not know much about the date on which construction would commence (a question i asked him). all he could say is that it is "up in the air still because of the Back Bay Tower..."

apparently th eBB tower wants to "tie it up as long as they can" according to this guy. He said they were a big pain in the ass and were the primary reason the project has not begun since he purchased the parking garage months ago.

AND THE BIGGEST NEWS: is that he said that Cohen just got TITLE INSURANCE, which he said was a MAJOR step. I didnt know what it was, so I looked it up:

Title insurance provides protection against title defects that were unknown to you at the time you purchased the policy.

The term "title" refers to the collected ownership records of a piece of real estate, including the transfer of any property rights, and any loans using the property as collateral. A clear line of title makes you much less vulnerable to ownership claims from other parties and to outstanding debts of previous property owners.

Before writing a policy, a title company will check for defects in your title by examining public records, including deeds, mortgages, wills, divorce decrees, court judgments, tax records, liens, encumbrances, and maps. The company will then defend in court any claims to the property that are covered by your policy, subject to certain limitations. If the company loses, it will pay you for covered losses up to the amount of your policy.

Title companies also handle the closing of a property sale and hold any earnest money in a trust account until the purchase is complete.

looks like Cohen can't pay the people he owes money back yet because of events that were unforeseen by him: first the parking garage, and now back bay tower. he is, according to the downeast realty guy, insured against this debt now, meaning the roject is still hanging in there. damn back bay tower!

No, I work in South Portland.
I think those people are full of it, I don't see that project ever getting built by J.C. I was told that 80 +% of the deposits put down on the project were by friends, realtors, etc. Not real people looking to really own a condo.
I would say that if the Portland Pirates don't have a commitment for an arena with luxury boxes and a few other amenities at the end of their current agreement w/ the Civic Center (I think it expires in 2010) than they will say see ya later to the City of Portland. That would be a shame. A city such as Portland really needs to step up and lead the charge and get a new arena built. It still just absolutely floors me that Joe Boulos's Lincoln Square project didn't get absolute support from City and State officials. What a bunch of fools!
I assume that the roofing repairs (new roof) that you speak of are only out of necessity not a long time commitment to that building.

Back