Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

At first I liked the Munjoy Hill infill project, but then I stopped and reversed course because I don't think the 'main drag' if you will should become cluttered with this higher blocky style "stuff" (unless it was all like that, which I wouldn't mind), but then I looked at it some more and changed my mind again. I do like it. The massing is broken up to look like several triple deckers strung together, and the retail will be nice to add. That present site is just not appropriate from a design perspective for a neighborhood with this much interest in it. This will be cool to watch go up and become a part of the City. Anyone know what's going on with the St. Lawrence Art Center addition plans? Last I say they had revised them to look pretty cool but that was over a year ago. Funding shortage maybe...

Didn't even know the CBL was expanding, that too will be welcomed! Thanks as always for the updates Corey!

I like the design. Reminds me of a structure you would find in the bay area of northern Cali. Any news on a possible corporate name for the CCCC?

New Forefront images
1524107_265884636911326_885102904_o.jpg

1549502_265884653577991_332919777_n.jpg

1796430_265884646911325_1583608489_n.jpg

New rendering put up today on the St. Lawrence Arts Facebook page. Curious to know what the other side looks like. I wonder why they don't just cover the whole facade with stone/faux-stone?

1601343_10152160480664921_399506872_n.jpg

New rendering put up today on the St. Lawrence Arts Facebook page. Curious to know what the other side looks like. I wonder why they don't just cover the whole facade with stone/faux-stone?

1601343_10152160480664921_399506872_n.jpg

I don't like the design as shown......too boxy and big. I think more sloping rooflines and more glass would make it better looking.

The rendition would fit quite well in Napa Valley California, but I don't care for it in this location at all.

The latest Avesta Housing development on Cumberland Avenue:

VQuNbLh.jpg

Martin's Point Bridge update:

SzCh6gR.jpg

The latest Avesta Housing development on Cumberland Avenue:

VQuNbLh.jpg

Martin's Point Bridge update:

SzCh6gR.jpg

9 years after watching the old house on that site come down in pieces to be transported elsewhere in order to make room for Waterview, it is pathetic to see another Avesta housing project sprouting up. No offense to Avesta and its admirable cause of providing affordable housing.

9 years after watching the old house on that site come down in pieces to be transported elsewhere in order to make room for Waterview, it is pathetic to see another Avesta housing project sprouting up. No offense to Avesta and its admirable cause of providing affordable housing.

Patrick - we cannot have tall buildings in Portland. They cause shadows, create dangerous and unprecedented winds, and above all else, they eat people. We cannot have tall buildings eating people here. We must keep Portland as livable as possible. You can't live in a place where buildings are allowed to just gobble up the sun worshippers and anti-wind crowd. Those people are much more important than the rest of us.

Patrick - we cannot have tall buildings in Portland. They cause shadows, create dangerous and unprecedented winds, and above all else, they eat people. We cannot have tall buildings eating people here. We must keep Portland as livable as possible. You can't live in a place where buildings are allowed to just gobble up the sun worshippers and anti-wind crowd. Those people are much more important than the rest of us.

Haha, Amen!

Not a big project, but the Rite Aid in the 700 block of Congress Street is going to be demolished and a new Rite Aid will be built on the eastern portion of the parcel next to Hot Supa. That plans are available on the Portland Planning Board site and the proposed building actually looks as well as a drug store can. Because it is located in a historic district, it will come complete with a brick and granite facade and will blend in nicely with the Congress Street line up. A huge improvement over the 40's era structure that it will replace along with the developer's efforts to hide a large portion of the parking lot from the street.

Last edited:
Not a big project, but the Rite Aid in the 700 block of Congress Street is going to be demolished and a new Rite Aid will be built on the eastern portion of the parcel next to Hot Supa. That plans are available on the Portland Planning Board site and the proposed building actually looks as well as a drug store can. Because it is located in a historic district, it will come complete with a brick and granite facade and will blend in nicely with the Congress Street line up. A huge improvement over the 70's era structure that it will replace along with the developer's efforts to hide a large portion of the parking lot from the street.

I had seen that on the planning board site.....looks like a great design!

Thanks for the heads up, Portlander. I'm genuinely impressed with the new Rite Aid design as well. Just the fact that they are putting the parking primarily behind the building and building right up to the sidewalk is enough to please me for that location. Whenever I'm around the Walgreens on Marginal Way (usually walking to Trader Joe's) I notice the windows are covered with photos of old-timey Walgreens locations that were in urban environments (in multi-story buildings with no parking lots) and find it disappointing how suburban that particular pharmacy is. The new Rite Aid isn't a beacon of architectural beauty, but it's designers are clearly aware that they are building it within a city.

A few highlights from the planning docs:

tbyAh1C.jpg

5GJlwdF.jpg

Another housing proposal for Munjoy Hill, at 33-35 Lafayette Street, is featured in the BDN today. The article mentions that the rendering's blue color scheme has been updated to a terra cotta color. Seems like we could almost start a thread just for Munjoy Hill developments.

I agree Corey, and I really like how they have stretched the facade along Congress Street and added a second level to the main entrance. This building along with Walker Terrace are steps in the right direction to bring people and vitality to this long neglected portion of Congress Street. Now if we can only do something with the 7-11 across the street!

I have a feeling that John Cacoulidis might be reading this forum…

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Dev...South_Portland_waterfront_concert_venue_.html

Back in October we talked about the proposed outdoor amphitheater on another piece of Portland Pipeline land on Spring Point in South Portland (http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=944&page=114). We talked about reviving Cacoulidis’ tramway proposal as part of that for getting people to the venue. Now, Cacoulidis is proposing the outdoor amphitheater be built on his land on Spring Point.

So, if you’re reading this John – how about dusting off that office tower you planned for the former Press Herald property on Congress Street? No better time than now with the NIMBYs distracted with midtown!

Interesting quote from the article:

Moulton said Cacoulidis will likely re-evaluate the use of the property after a year or two and consider using it for a larger-scale, mixed-use development.

“This is not likely to be a real long-term thing,” he said. “The city may eventually decide to do it themselves at an adjacent property if it’s successful.”

Back