Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

I believe the law firm Verrill Dana has most of the space on the top four floors. It's not condos, that's just the PPH being lazy in its story research again.

Humorous post TC void, the nuclear power feature of the tower would garner little or no opposition!

The parcel that borders Spring Street can accommodate around 135 feet if my memory serves me correctly which I think would be perfect for a 12 story residential structure similar to the Waterview project that never got built on Cumberland Avenue. Might be possible to have a mixed use building there, but I don't think there is a market for 200,000 sf of office space unless Portland could lure IDEXX, WEX or UNUM downtown.

The remaining parcel that borders Fore Street could accommodate a parking garage with retail and maybe a first class cinema/entertainment complex that would compliment the sports bar and restaurant on Cotton Street. I'll keep my fingers crossed, I am so tired of looking at the vast empty space in the center of downtown along with the Top of the Old Port parking lot on Congress Street.

Few shots from this morning...

Maine Wharf:
pxIqjxE.jpg

409 Cumberland Avenue:
km44el7.jpg

Regarding the new building on the pier, if that restaurant was on the top floor and at the end of the pier, it would have perhaps the most dynamic harbor view of any restaurant in the country. In the middle of the pier, all you get is boats tied up, or an occasional lobster boat coming and going. At the end of a pier, perhaps the Maine State Pier, the boat activity would be impressive. This is why people want to eat on the pier, to see boat activity. Hopefully one day someone will realize this.

I believe the law firm Verrill Dana has most of the space on the top four floors. It's not condos, that's just the PPH being lazy in its story research again.

By my reading it seems like they are condos: Office condos, owned by Bobby Monks and Tim O'Neill. A condominium is just an ownership share of a building; it can be residential, retail or offices. In a business story the PPH assumes its readers know this.

Also, co-owner of those condos is quoted extensively in the story, so it's hardly a question of lazy research on the reporter's part.

Last edited:
By my reading it seems like they are condos: Office condos, owned by Bobby Monks and Tim O'Neill. A condominium is just an ownership share of a building; it can be residential, retail or offices. In a business story the PPH assumes its readers know this.

Also, co-owner of those condos is quoted extensively in the story, so its hardly a question of lazy research on the reporter's part.

Their are def condos there as I almost rented a unit in that building from someone renting out there condo.

Thanks for the correction. I did not know that -- have only seen "condos" used in the non-business vernacular. (it's also rare to see it in commercial listings too) However, when I point out that the PPH is lazy, I don't mean literally, only because they don't have the budget to often engage in more thorough reporting. A couple of years ago I had to go to Murdoch's "Daily Mail" tabloid to get more info on a double murder in Biddeford. They also have too many typos. (again, my opinion)

409 Cumberland Avenue:
km44el7.jpg

Of all of the things I could take issue with on this design, the thing that irks me is the large section of gray facade with those six tiny windows that makes up the top three floors on the Forest Ave side of the Forest/Cumberland corner of the building. Would it have killed them to make those windows as big as the other windows. Heck, if it that side mirrored the other side of that corner (the side facing Cumberland Ave. with the in-set windows surrounded by brown/tan siding), then I think it would look OK.

^I totally agree Dr. StrangeHat. It's odd to think that someone intentionally designed it that way.

Hey corey do you know what they are building at the end of the maine wharf pier? looks like someones sweet bachelor pad type deal.

The Midtown project has been delayed again. Seems like noyes storage does have some legitimate concerns about flooding when the street is raised. They do not object to the development and seem to be all for it but want there issue addressed.

Not sure what it will be, but here's a photo of it from this morning:

iFitLLq.jpg

And while I'm here, here's Munjoy Heights:
1p5Pwp0.jpg

ePHeL9J.jpg

Noticed a new project on Washington Avenue too, Sunset Lofts, replacing that blue building.

ItYCeci.jpg

Sunset Lofts appears to be a cool project. Hopefully this will spur additional development along that stretch of road, which looks pretty down and out.

Not bad. It's been a while since I've roamed these parts, but when I visited my sister in Falmouth a few mouths ago, we drove through this part of town. I was not impressed. Anything to replace what is already there is a plus! Good finds Dr. S!

^ The Loopnet listing calls this building "phase 1." It looks like the Archetype architects' website has posted the full project – with a new building replacing the sushi restaurant – on their "drawing board" section.

Widgery_Wharf-WEST_CORNER.jpg

Just speculating, but maybe the plan is for Sapporo to move into the new Phase 1 building when it's finished, then demolish their old location to make way for the second building?

^ I like that full build-out there...should be a nice addition to Commercial Street

In other news, this eyesore on Brighton Ave near the Westbrook line looks to be getting an upgrade: http://www.pressherald.com/2015/01/29/travelodge-owner-wants-to-rebuild/

Hopefully it's built closer to the street than the current building, with parking in back.

That would surprise me greatly. First, I don't know if they even own the old gas station land. Second, even if they do I don't recall ever seeing the underground tanks being removed, which I would think would be a prerequisite to building there. Third, it wouldn't fit with the rest of the neighborhood, and I see no compelling reason for that to change.

That would surprise me greatly. First, I don't know if they even own the old gas station land. Second, even if they do I don't recall ever seeing the underground tanks being removed, which I would think would be a prerequisite to building there. Third, it wouldn't fit with the rest of the neighborhood, and I see no compelling reason for that to change.

Well, I'm not advocating putting it right against the road, just closer (similar to the Barron Center). I forgot about that gas station, though. And now that I think of it, Paul's Auto is also in front of this lot.

I guess anything they do there would be an improvement. I personally think they should raze the whole thing (motel, Denny's, former gas station and Paul's Auto) and put a nice 3-4 story hotel there with a sizable conference/banquet hall. I'd honestly like to see that whole stretch including the former Blue Rock/current Pike land abutting Main Street in Westbrook developed.

Back