Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

118 Congress is a lot more "in your face" than the renderings, huh?

I'm also excited for the prospects of 185 Fore, mainly in that it will help to hide that parking garage.

They have a development sign up for that project next to Sapporo on commercial st

Any of you watch espn yesterday? Bayside bowl was fired up. Great exposure for portland and it's on 3 more Sundays on espn

There was an exchange this week in the Voice of the People.... Peter Munro writing on Tuesday re: Greg Kesich's recent pro-growth column:
Unbounded growth can be horrific. In a body or a society, growth without limits is cancer. Unbalanced growth solely for the very rich and the very poor hollows out and ruins a city.

Meanwhile, stability can be very good indeed. Look at what has happened to our own Portland in the past 20 years. With little growth we have vastly improved as a place to live, work and recreate.

Translation: we've managed to swap out all the old blue-collar working class families for "better people" who tend to be reliably New Left.

Then today, Will Bartlett, probably the best advocate Bayside has of those who really live there, responded:

Monro’s idea that Kesich, as well as everyone at City Hall, was asleep at the switch while Monro and his group, Keep Portland Livable, saved our beautiful, historic peninsula, is delusional. He claims his “urban design” expertise is what won the day, and therefore saved us from becoming Flint, Michigan.

Well, I don’t know a lot about “urban design,” but I know a lot about West Bayside. Its current “urban design” is a mishmash of trash trucks, homeless people (God bless them), social service agencies and a certain abandoned, contaminated railroad yard.

I could go on and on about Numbro's letter, but I'll leave it at that.

"In a body or a society, growth without limits is cancer."
That is not always true, in fact, many times the opposite. Las Vegas during the mid 2000's, or New York City today. Both places with ridiculous growth, and the two most popular tourist destinations in the country today. Portland, in fact, has indeed grown with more buildings--a lot. It might not be in tall office towers, but residential, hotels, and restaurant conversions. That's almost unbridled growth, and the people that live in these places love living there. The people who hate growth are primarily older and hate change. So, cancer?... if that's cancer then give me some.

Last edited:
Munjoy Heights

UDi7gmX.jpg

XreOwtH.jpg

Seaport Lofts

MyGa3ec.jpg

Good update Corey! I liked how you put links to the building websites along with your photos. Good to see the projects moving right along.

On another note, does anyone remember the design competition that happened last year for an area in the Oldport (across the street from the new Hyatt)? Since the "winning" proposal was announced, has there been any movement on that?

What's that red building?

Also, how's the ship-to-rail facility doing?

Looks like there getting ready to put up that ugly wall along commercial street.

Does anyone know what is being built behind or to the side of the CC jail?

^Haven't noticed anything new around the jail. Are they doing something on the side closer to Mercy Hospital? I recall they cleared a lot of trees out of that area last year.

Munjoy Heights across the Cove:
U7PIHr3.jpg

409 Cumberland Ave in its final form, other than the possible addition of trees on both sides:
JqacL5s.jpg

^Haven't noticed anything new around the jail. Are they doing something on the side closer to Mercy Hospital? I recall they cleared a lot of trees out of that area last year.

behind 17 Westfield Street go on the fore river pkway you will see it .there was a dozer there today going back and forth

behind 17 Westfield Street go on the fore river pkway you will see it .there was a dozer there today going back and forth

Is that perhaps work on the long-awaited wye track for the Downeaster to eliminate the back-up move it has to make to head to Brunswick?

Is that perhaps work on the long-awaited wye track for the Downeaster to eliminate the back-up move it has to make to head to Brunswick?

This hasn't been talked about in a long time. There's no funding or plans at this time.

Back