Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Is there anything more ludicrous than to have Markos Miller's name front and center on that group?
Come again? Markos has been a steady advocate for more reasonable zoning laws over the years.

100 Fore St.
j4HtdHM.jpg

Portland Company / Portland Foreside
mI87f8v.jpg

Oh wow, they really aren't messing around on 100 Fore Street, huh? That went up quick.

They've been working 6-7 days a week since June. Occupancy is set for summer 2020

100 Fore would be a great location for a tech or biotech company to set up shop in Portland. Big high ceilings, lots of natural light, and harbor views. As good as anything you could find in Boston's Seaport (albeit a bit smaller)

Interesting recap of this morning's MEREDA conference. Sounds like J.B. Brown is planning several developments in the West Commercial, York and Pleasant Street areas. They also reference building on W. Commercial for a new VA clinic, which makes me think 144 Fore Street, the current building housing the VA clinic, sandwiched between WEX and the new 100 Fore Street building, is a likely candidate for future redevelopment.

These are on JB Browns website as available development opportunities
1573755982509.png

Maine Narrowgage Railroad is proposing a new station building right next to the ocean gateway terminal. Quite tacky and out of place looking if you ask me, but I suppose it's better than a temporary trailer that's there now

Rendering_railroad-2.jpg
Given that it's a tourist attraction and almost the first thing you pass coming off a cruise ship I would suggest something a little more gingerbreadish.
How about something like this?

Swampscott_MBTA_Station by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Given that it's a tourist attraction and almost the first thing you pass coming off a cruise ship I would suggest something a little more gingerbreadish.
How about something like this?

Swampscott_MBTA_Station by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

If there's to be any nod to historical accuracy, then the station should architecturally resemble actual vintage Maine narrow gauge stations as opposed to just playing up Victorian train station generica. It being the signature building of a museum and all. Or, failing that, representative Grand Trunk RR depot architecture since that waterfront trackage was last used in standard-gauge form as GT/Canadian National's mainline access into the port.

Swampscott Depot is special because it's one of the last original-construction Eastern RR depots still standing without heavy modification. Swampscott's contemporaries on the Eastern were likewise very gingerbread-looking, but that look would be woefully out of place on--say--the Fitchburg Main where vintage Fitchburg RR structures tended to be more sharply angular with prominent roofs and more spire action.

I have no f'ing clue what a vintage Maine narrow gauge station looks like nor am I invested enough in those aesthetics to Google around for old pics, but if these folks did their homework what you see in that render would bear close resemblance to the real-deal that used to sit on the narrow-gauge mainlines emanating closest from Portland.

Poking through what i could find, it appears as though the Grand Trunk stations in the U.S. didn't have a prominent design standard.

The Yarmouth depot is one of the few still standing:

The only one that seemed similar in design was the Gorham, NH depot:

Some of the others:

Obviously the original Portland station is a little too grand for the narrow gauge railroad's plans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_history_of_Portland,_Maine)

Something like the Phillips would be much better than the current proposal IMO.

They submitted the plans for 58 Fore Street on the Citizen Self Service Portal. They actually have attachments, check them out.

Quite disappointing in the height of these buildings on Fore street. Too bad there will not be any high rise (10 plus stories) on this site. The culture in urban Maine is terrified of anything with height. This project has tons of potential but the anti-development groups have city hall and private investors by the balls. Hopefully we will see a building with some height in Portland in the near future.

Quite disappointing in the height of these buildings on Fore street. Too bad there will not be any high rise (10 plus stories) on this site. The culture in urban Maine is terrified of anything with height. This project has tons of potential but the anti-development groups have city hall and private investors by the balls. Hopefully we will see a building with some height in Portland in the near future.

The approved master development plan for this site proposes structures of 9-10 stories on the far eastern portion of the site. It appears those will be the last to be developed so who knows if, or when, it would happen. My guess is any existing property owners on the hill whose views might be obstructed will be quick to sue.

Back