Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

My bad, I should do a better job of adding labels to my photos. Posts 4016 and 4017 shows the completed second floor addition and exterior renovations to the Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal on the west side of the Maine State Pier.
So you're saying I have a discerning eye, then. :cool:

Looks like the mixed-use Equality Community Center building next to 15 Casco St. isn't dead according to a MaineBiz article released today. They're still raising funds for Phase 2, which is renovations to the building they bought (in March 2021) at 15 Casco but about $1M will be set aside for Phase 3 planning.

concept.jpeg

Something to keep an eye on...The former used-car lot near Woodfords Corner is now up for sale / redevelopment. This is a prime high-visibility location with lots of opportunity for transit-oriented development.

PPH article:

1654101118397.png

Something to keep an eye on...The former used-car lot near Woodfords Corner is now up for sale / redevelopment. This is a prime high-visibility location with lots of opportunity for transit-oriented development.

PPH article:

View attachment 24907
Maybe retail (like a Rosemont), coffee shop, or something on the first floor. Could house multiple business suites. Then 6 stories of housing? Or is that out of scope for this lot? Something pointing toward the corner would be cool.

I would be more excited about the possibilities if there was a chance for market rate units, but as Catherine said in the 45 Forest Ave thread, they are viable and can't be financed. If the option is luxury condos, I'd prefer the lot be vacant until market rate becomes viable.

Maybe retail (like a Rosemont), coffee shop, or something on the first floor. Could house multiple business suites. Then 6 stories of housing? Or is that out of scope for this lot? Something pointing toward the corner would be cool.
6 stories in that area would really put it out of scale.

An interesting aside in this story about the sale of a medical office building in South Portland. East Brown Cow, who sold the site for $30 million, said they rarely sell properties in their portfolio but that:

"we will be reinvesting this capital into East Brown Cow’s current and ongoing efforts to preserve and build meaningful connections within the urban fabric of Portland's fast-changing downtown."

I wonder if they're still working on a Canal Plaza tower or if they've got another project in the works?

An interesting aside in this story about the sale of a medical office building in South Portland. East Brown Cow, who sold the site for $30 million, said they rarely sell properties in their portfolio but that:

"we will be reinvesting this capital into East Brown Cow’s current and ongoing efforts to preserve and build meaningful connections within the urban fabric of Portland's fast-changing downtown."

I wonder if they're still working on a Canal Plaza tower or if they've got another project in the works?

Given how long East Brown Cow has owned those buildings, I have to imagine they owned them outright, debt-free. So, $30 million cash in-the-bank is a significant amount of capital that could be used to help jumpstart a sizable project. For comparison's sake, 201 Federal is in the $65-70 million range, right?

Just noticed that sitting at the intersection of Chestnut and Lancaster (if you were pointed up Chestnut towards Congress) you have 75 Chestnut right there in front of you, looking down Lancaster you have a straight on shot of 52 Hanover and looking up Chestnut towards Congress you have a straight on shot of 201 Federal. This might be on of the coolest views right now on the peninsula.

A hotel at Thompson's Point is now in the works - it looks like they were preparing for a Level III Site Plan back in 2017 and just started it back up in June. I can't find the original plans in CSS, but here are the current renderings from the "Minor Site Plan Amendment":

sertgsdfg.png

aseerasadb.png

asre5tgf.png

Last edited:
It’s right above and to left of childrens museim in pic above. Like the view from 295

The children's museum construction already forced them to shift the stage about 75-feet to the south and reduce the size of the backstage area. This shouldn't impact concerts, unless the hotel operator has a fit over it.

This is the old setup:

1661944511427.png

And this is what they do today:

1661944913607.png

The children's museum construction already forced them to shift the stage about 75-feet to the south and reduce the size of the backstage area. This shouldn't impact concerts, unless the hotel operator has a fit over it.

This is the old setup:

View attachment 27947

And this is what they do today:

View attachment 27948
Nice but end of concerts
I would assume the concerts/events would initially be one of the main sources of guests for the hotel? They'll definitely have to make sure other guests (Children's Museum families?) are aware they're booking a hotel essentially on the stage. If they pay attention to design/materials/construction they could help mitigate the noise, but it's just so close to the stage.

With the exception of guests who book rooms for the purpose of attending a concert at Thompson's Point, I would think it would be difficult to accommodate the traveling public on nights there are shows without numerous requests for refunds. You beat me to it nomc!

There is a recent site plan application for 76 Congress on CSS but no materials up yet. I know their website says they got HP and PB approval but I was under the impression they still needed to raise a ton of money to make it happen. Maybe they've had some success with fundraising. I think it will be a great addition to the city's arts scene, but I wonder whether they'll get additional pushback from Munjoy Hill neighbors if they're actually moving forward, particularly those who've taken up residence in the last couple years. My recollection is that most of the opposition centered around parking and traffic concerns.
Review of a revised design is on the agenda for next week's HPB meeting - no packet uploaded yet/no new renderings in CSS. Looking forward to seeing where this is at.

The exterior renderings seem pretty similar to what had received PB approval back in 2014. The Promenade Room seems like it could be really cool, although there's no kitchen/prep space on that floor (or anywhere in the new addition?) so that may limit the types of rentals? Does anyone remember how they plan to take care of parking for a 401 seat venue? It's not like the downtown venues where there are lots and garages.

wretsfdgh.png

we45rtdasfg.png

sdfghsdgjh.png

asrdyrtjhndf.png

wet5yhsdfg.png

wer65usrdgsdfh.png

Back