Possible free U2 set tonight

davem

Reaction score
I know this is in the wrong forum, and I'm usually a nazi about stuff like that, but this is where everyone looks. Hopefully the mods and fellow forumers will forgive this intrusion for the next 12 hours.

I've heard a rumor from 2 separate unrelated people that U2 is going to be doing a secret, suprise, free performance somewhere in Boston tonight. Like them or not U2 puts on a damned good show live.

Since we're all scattered around the city and subconsciously notice little things like fencing and unusual equipment turning up, plus have diverse contacts all over the place, I thought this could be a great place to crowdsource and figure out if and where this might be happening.

So anyone notice AV trucks hanging around where they shouldn't? Cranes and lights on roofs? Does U2 have any special connection to buildings around the city, like Aerosmith did in Allston?

You should send a link to this post to adamg at UHUB to see if he will post it. Lots more feelers over there.

They were building a stage at the stone gazebo by the bagel place in the common last week, I figure it was probably for shakespeare in the park but maybe not

You should send a link to this post to adamg at UHUB to see if he will post it. Lots more feelers over there.

If its a small thing I don't want to be the one to turn it into a shit show, and the mainstream media watches uhub. I doubt they pay attention here.

Speculation I've heard so far:
Joshua Tree in Davis (don't know the reason why)
A roof in Kenmore where they filmed a video

They were building a stage at the stone gazebo by the bagel place in the common last week, I figure it was probably for shakespeare in the park but maybe not

There are actually 3 stages set up now. It's part of the Out of the Box festival. Maybe one of those will get a random show.

If not Out of the Box, then maybe they drop by TT and the Bears. It is their closing week isnt it? They promised a blowout week for its closing.

I had a hunch it would be at TT's as well! Regardless of where it is I'm sure the entire world will know within seconds.

Safe bet that it'd be even harder to get in than when the Pixies played a couple weeks ago.
Wasn't U2's first ever US show at the Paradise? That'd be a special connection....

The last few albums haven't done it for me, but always been a huge fan. Only seen em once, and it was beyond fantastic show.

I'd be there if it were even remotely possible.

All the equipment being scattered around downtown is very definitely for the Gostbusters filming tonight and through the week, just in case anyone was getting excited about an impromptu U2 concert there...unless the Ghostbusters are going to be fighting ghosts that happen to attend a U2 concert...

Can Mary Ann's even accommodate a band?

I feel like Davis is a safe bet; they have some history there.

Friend on Facebook just posted The Burren from more hearsay.

Wasn't U2's first ever US show at the Paradise? That'd be a special connection....

First concert, Ritz NYC Dec 6, 1980.
Second was Bayou in DC on Dec 7.
Paradise was on Dec 13.

http://www.u2gigs.com/tour66.html

They played the Bayou in Washington several times, (The Bayou was demolished for a Ritz Carlton). Below is a newspaper ad for a 1981 appearance at the Bayou, noted as being the day before Lennon was shot. The ticket price!

u2-bayou-advertisement-1981.png

Back