Post-COVID Urbanism Discussion

Hopefully some of it can be converted to residential. Its not cheap but its cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding from scratch (unless you can rebuild much taller like in nyc).

I see National and NYC numbers that suggest that work from home is the new normal. Do we have anything similar for Boston?

There was also a good article on how pre-air conditioning buildings, with their short window-to-interior dimensions are ideal for housing conversion

The implication is: todays Class B and Class C buildings are mostly ideal for conversion to housing—unless they are too new (are full block / rectangular floor plate)

While the large floor plate buildings of the 1960s and 70s are in a bad segment: they have lost their value as offices ( unless stripped to their frame and redone) but don’t have value for residential conversion (and are too tall to be lab space)

Are we seeing this play out in Boston?

I assume new buildings in the Seaport and in the Winthrop and South Station Tower will find occupants, but probably cannibalize tenants from fading class A-/B+ kinda buildings—we are shifting tenants, not accommodating office growth.

I see National and NYC numbers that suggest that work from home is the new normal. Do we have anything similar for Boston?

Boston isn't included, unfortunately, in some of the more prevalent and (at least somewhat) credible tracking sites I am aware of (e.g., Kastle Barometer).

However, one of the most sound and thoughtful general sources on this topic is the research project site of Stanford professor Nicholas Bloom (& colleagues):
https://wfhresearch.com

^Therein, the "Research & Policy" page contains their latest findings (https://wfhresearch.com/research-and-policy/),
and in particular, you might appreciate one of the most recent reports from February '23 (https://wfhresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Benchmarking_SWAA-1-February-2023.pdf)
^Also in Bloom's site (under "Media") is one of the best aggregate collections of the higher-quality news articles on this topic.

WFH is a major impact that cities will need to accommodate, but, with respect, I think "is the new normal" oversimplifies it from an urban policy implications standpoint. For instance, if we consider Philly, DC, or New York (for which there is prevalent data; e.g., here) to be a somewhat reasonable proxies for Boston in this regard, then trends are indicating 50-60% pre-pandemic office utilization midweek, but only ~30% on Mondays or Fridays. Yet this hybrid mishmash of utilization across days actually corresponds with 80% of office tenants continuing to utilize their offices to at least some extent on varying days (see Bloom's slide 8 in the Feb'23 data above). So it's not as simple as "we only need half the space." This will be a tricky puzzle to figure out, and will take a lot of creativity. I hope policymakers are bold in thinking how we can utilize space in ways never done before. I've been following Bloom's work since the beginning of the pandemic, and they are recurrently revisiting their findings - they seem to be converging on 2 or 3 day/week hybrid as the most prevalent configuration. In Boston, in particular, I think we're going to see a ton of by-neighborhood variation; for instance, we have an outsized proportion of labs that will see greater than typical in-person utilization, but they are not evenly spread geographically (some neighborhoods have no labs).

Last edited:
@Arlington , just one more source I wanted to share to complement above:

^That just came out yesterday and I read it this morning. Its examples include Boston and it aims to be a policy guidance piece.

SOM’s proposal for 1633 Broadway in NYC could be a model for converting more-recent big floor plate office buildings: cut grooves into the monolith, re-mass as a podium and penthouses. One Beacon would be an ideal candidate
1683995921480.png

SOM’s proposal for 1633 Broadway in NYC could be a model for converting more-recent big floor plate office buildings: cut grooves into the monolith, re-mass as a podium and penthouses. One Beacon would be an ideal candidate

I know it is on a much smaller scale than the example in your post, but I think it is worth recognizing that we have a local example that is well into construction: the 40 Thorndike tower in Cambridge (former Middlesex County courthouses and jail). Though the conversion retains majority office use, there are, I believe, 3 levels of apartments being converted in the podium portion of the building. They removed significant amount of structure to alter the plan of the podium from a pure rectangle into a multi-notched space. I don't have a view that shows the apartment floor layout, but this view of the base shows the alteration of the base's outline. This is posted on the Cambridge special permits site:

40t_pview.png

Our aB thread:
Middlesex County Courthouse Redevelopment | 40 Thorndike St | East Cambridge

The point is that, though I am sure it is quite costly, it is possible to notch-out the structure of a building to provide a more residential-conducive floor plan, and we've got a great local example.

Back