Potential Exelon Mystic Station Redevelopment | Everett

Frustrating that the article doesn’t have statements from anyone in the House who worked to remove the wording.

Who would do that, what’s the benefit, and how do they think the land will eventually be used? Very confusing motivations.

Besides the need for traffic improvements on the Boston side, the stadium seems like a clear win for the community.
I need to get a life…

On Thursday, a senior state House lawmaker who played a central role in the compromise budget deal said he’s not entirely dismissing the idea of a new stadium.

But the pressure-cooker of the debate over the legislation wasn’t the appropriate venue for that discussion, House Ways & Means Committee Chairperson Aaron Michlewitz, D-3rd Suffolk, said.

“We’re not saying no to a soccer stadium,” the Boston lawmaker told reporters after House Republicans successfully launched a procedural ploy that delayed a vote on the so-called “supplemental” budget until Friday.

“I think there’s still a lot to be discussed on this. It needs to be fleshed out for us to feel comfortable about it going forward. And in the short period of time this as been discussed, I don’t think we’ve had that full conversation,” the House’s top budget-writer said.

On Thursday, a senior state House lawmaker who played a central role in the compromise budget deal said he’s not entirely dismissing the idea of a new stadium.

But the pressure-cooker of the debate over the legislation wasn’t the appropriate venue for that discussion, House Ways & Means Committee Chairperson Aaron Michlewitz, D-3rd Suffolk, said.

“We’re not saying no to a soccer stadium,” the Boston lawmaker told reporters after House Republicans successfully launched a procedural ploy that delayed a vote on the so-called “supplemental” budget until Friday.

“I think there’s still a lot to be discussed on this. It needs to be fleshed out for us to feel comfortable about it going forward. And in the short period of time this as been discussed, I don’t think we’ve had that full conversation,” the House’s top budget-writer said.

As Winston Churchill defined Russia, so is Massachusetts politics: "A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma."

I need to get a life…

1702200012254.png

Well played, Stick…well played indubitably

(Humble Brag Alert) As a newly certified City and Public Policy Maker, it goes without saying that we study enough social theory to pretend that we’re philosophers. At least I do.

Moving on. People ask why it’s hard for stadiums or highways or transit systems to be build in Greater Boston, and you have to look at Boston itself. We know that Boston has shite planning by design. Boston was never envisioned for anything other than the fact that it was a British Colony designed to keep out the Church of England. As the colonies grew, the other cities had learned from the mistakes of Boston’s planning (or lack thereof). So, if we have to ask ourselves why this cycle continues, we have to think back to the new celestial world that the founders envisioned. Boston was never envisioned or groomed for any type of monumental long-term growth.

On the contrary, you have to wonder what Boston was built for. Rich, whyte guys who enjoyed owning slaves, not paying taxes, going to a symphony, building a higher educational system for the wealthy and elite. These social morès are indicative of why people like Mayor Michelle Wu moved from
Chicago to go to Harvard. She wanted to be mayor to represent the elite of Boston. Thats it. Thats the draw. Because like it or not, it’s not the Boston residents who will be attending these matches. It’s people outside of Boston who go to see the Sox, Celtics and Bruins. There are college students that obviously go to these games, but they are not permanent residents of Boston. They’re transients.

Even the rich and more learned can’t agree on a utopia. To better describe the Wu administration and Boston’s NIMBY ways, I would direct you all to watch the Simpsons S: 10 E: 22 (They Saved Lisa’s Brains. It’s what happens when the intelligentsia takes over and tries to outlaw sports, entertainment and other aspects of a city that the rich feel is beneath them.

Well played, Stick…well played indubitably

(Humble Brag Alert) As a newly certified City and Public Policy Maker, it goes without saying that we study enough social theory to pretend that we’re philosophers. At least I do.

Moving on. People ask why it’s hard for stadiums or highways or transit systems to be build in Greater Boston, and you have to look at Boston itself. We know that Boston has shite planning by design. Boston was never envisioned for anything other than the fact that it was a British Colony designed to keep out the Church of England. As the colonies grew, the other cities had learned from the mistakes of Boston’s planning (or lack thereof). So, if we have to ask ourselves why this cycle continues, we have to think back to the new celestial world that the founders envisioned. Boston was never envisioned or groomed for any type of monumental long-term growth.

On the contrary, you have to wonder what Boston was built for. Rich, whyte guys who enjoyed owning slaves, not paying taxes, going to a symphony, building a higher educational system for the wealthy and elite. These social morès are indicative of why people like Mayor Michelle Wu moved from
Chicago to go to Harvard. She wanted to be mayor to represent the elite of Boston. Thats it. Thats the draw. Because like it or not, it’s not the Boston residents who will be attending these matches. It’s people outside of Boston who go to see the Sox, Celtics and Bruins. There are college students that obviously go to these games, but they are not permanent residents of Boston. They’re transients.

Even the rich and more learned can’t agree on a utopia. To better describe the Wu administration and Boston’s NIMBY ways, I would direct you all to watch the Simpsons S: 10 E: 22 (They Saved Lisa’s Brains. It’s what happens when the intelligentsia takes over and tries to outlaw sports, entertainment and other aspects of a city that the rich feel

The elitism thing you mentioned is a real thing. I grew up with it, a poor kid from a public housing project in Cambridge, walking through Harvard Yard every day to go to high school. But I benefitted from that. In high school I became friends with kids of Harvard and MIT professors, and as a child my mom took me to a lot of lectures and cultural events put on by Harvard and others. So for me, on balance, it was a good thing.

As for the stymying of the proposed Everett stadium, yes to me it appears to be a case of the Boston elitists looking down their noses at the great unwashed in the working class city of Everett. But I hope Everett prevails, and the stadium gets built. It will be a real shot in the arm for the ongoing hard work that Everett has been doing to improve itself and the lot of its families.

Because like it or not, it’s not the Boston residents who will be attending these matches.

A few of your points are debatable, but this one’s just wrong. As someone who grew up in the city of Boston, I can attest that city residents go to sports games at a similar frequency compared to people in the suburbs.

A few of your points are debatable, but this one’s just wrong. As someone who grew up in the city of Boston, I can attest that city residents go to sports games at a similar frequency compared to people in the suburbs.
Have you seen the makeup of the City residents now? This isn’t the Garden 1988. Boston is more cosmopolitan than ever before and again, the only “Boston residents” that go are maybe a few bros in Southie, but the majority of people who go to see the Sox, Celtics and Bruins are from outside of 128.

the only “Boston residents” that go are maybe a few bros in Southie, but the majority of people who go to see the Sox, Celtics and Bruins are from outside of 128.
You have quite a lot of confidence in this. Source?

Unfortunately, I can't find any hard numbers on the demographics of people at Sox/Bruins/Celtics games, but anecdotally I'll say that the inbound green line is consistently mobbed after games at Fenway. Aside from some percentage of those people that are taking the T to their parked car at Wonderland or something, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of those people are returning to their homes somewhere in the city or inner suburbs like Camberville.

Unless someone can find the data, this is going to be a game of I-think-x you-think-y.

Have you seen the makeup of the City residents now? This isn’t the Garden 1988. Boston is more cosmopolitan than ever before and again, the only “Boston residents” that go are maybe a few bros in Southie, but the majority of people who go to see the Sox, Celtics and Bruins are from outside of 128.
Without some sort of data to back your statement, I think you shouldn't be making this argument.

You have quite a lot of confidence in this. Source?

Unfortunately, I can't find any hard numbers on the demographics of people at Sox/Bruins/Celtics games, but anecdotally I'll say that the inbound green line is consistently mobbed after games at Fenway. Aside from some percentage of those people that are taking the T to their parked car at Wonderland or something, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of those people are returning to their homes somewhere in the city or inner suburbs like Camberville.

Unless someone can find the data, this is going to be a game of I-think-x you-think-y.
Again, the T is always mobbed. That’s not what I’m saying. My experience is the majority of Boston residents who are at the games, are college kids. Non-residents of Boston. I only have anecdotal evidence myself. So, I’m going on intuition. No real analytical and statical data.

Again, the T is always mobbed. That’s not what I’m saying. My experience is the majority of Boston residents who are at the games, are college kids. Non-residents of Boston. I only have anecdotal evidence myself. So, I’m going on intuition. No real analytical and statical data.

Another useless bit of anecdata: of the four Red Sox games I've attended in my life, I was a resident of Boston when attending three of them.

Have you seen the makeup of the City residents now? This isn’t the Garden 1988.

I graduated high school in 2014 and I stayed in the city for college. I only moved out in 2019. So, I wouldn’t say I’m totally ignorant to Boston’s demographics.

When Fenway throws “Dominican night”, do you really think the only Dominican people there are ones who drove down from Lawrence? Kids go crazy for Jayson Tatum when he visits their high school pep rally in Hyde Park, but you think none of them would ever go see him play?

It’s true that (for better or worse) sports attendance/interests tend to trend one way or another between demographic groups. The percent of people likely to be Bruins fans in Boston has dwindled since 1988 and the same is true of the Red Sox to a lesser degree. But even then, it’s more than a “few bros in southie”. There are Irish/Italian/Polish families all across the city. Heck, considering gentrification/yuppiefication you’re probably less likely to find the type in Southie these days compared to Dorchester, West Roxbury, Brighton, etc.

And it’s not to say that the Garden or Fenway is always full of Bostonians. Like anywhere, individual people have varying levels of interest, money, and free time. All I’m saying is that people in Boston are just as likely to attend a sports game as people in Abington or North Reading.

Last edited:
I doubt the soccer stadium is dead. This is just an opportunity for the politiions to squeeze more concessions from the developers so that they can tell their voters look what I brung you

From StubHub,

How Much Are Boston Celtics Tickets?'​

'Ticket prices vary depending on the matchup, but typically, you can expect to find Boston Celtics tickets starting around $27, with an average price of $241. '

I think that level of pricing pretty much defines the demographic who can afford to attend a Celtics game. Similarly for baseball @ Lansdowne St. Ice hockey is a sport for White folks.

I'm skeptical of that statistic. Average what? Average as in, what StubHub is trying to sell them for? Or average as in (total price paid by fans) / (seats in the stadium) for a regular season game? Keep in mind that SH wants you to think that everybody is paying a lot.

Plus, any average will be skewed upwards by playoffs, bougie seats (eg Monster), and direct rival games (eg Yankees). The stat I'd like to see is *average of daily median ticket prices actually paid by fans during the regular season*.

I've gone to a half dozen Sox games using this deal: https://www.mlb.com/redsox/tickets/packs/family-4-pax. That's $25/seat (pretax) and you get a hot dog with it. Working class people from in/around Boston can probably afford that.

I'm skeptical of that statistic. Average what? Average as in, what StubHub is trying to sell them for? Or average as in (total price paid by fans) / (seats in the stadium) for a regular season game? Keep in mind that SH wants you to think that everybody is paying a lot.

Plus, any average will be skewed upwards by playoffs, bougie seats (eg Monster), and direct rival games (eg Yankees). The stat I'd like to see is *average of daily median ticket prices actually paid by fans during the regular season*.

I've gone to a half dozen Sox games using this deal: https://www.mlb.com/redsox/tickets/packs/family-4-pax. That's $25/seat (pretax) and you get a hot dog with it. Working class people from in/around Boston can probably afford that.
Red Sox tickets these days are an entirely different animal than Celtics, Bruins or Patriots. Sox are super cheap and the others are generally insanely high (Patriots lately have been cheaper)

I also wonder if these "average" costs include the exorbitant fees that get inexplicably added on at the end. The hidden costs can be brutal, and are considered separate from the selling prices.

From StubHub,

I think that level of pricing pretty much defines the demographic who can afford to attend a Celtics game. Similarly for baseball @ Lansdowne St. Ice hockey is a sport for White folks.

Yes, it's expensive. But there are also way more people with disposable income inside of Boston than in any single city or town outside of it. Honestly, I'm really confused about what type of people @kingofsheeba thinks live in the city of Boston. The answer is: all kinds.

Yes, it's expensive. But there are also way more people with disposable income inside of Boston than in any single city or town outside of it. Honestly, I'm really confused about what type of people @kingofsheeba thinks live in the city of Boston. The answer is: all kinds.
Grad Students, City Workers, Venture Capitalists. It’s all that I can think of.

Grad Students, City Workers, Venture Capitalists. It’s all that I can think of.
Median Boston income is $36k. Top employment sector is healthcare and social services, not tech. Half of 25+ year olds don't have a Bachelor's degree. 1 in 6 residents are poor.

Look, Boston is super gentrified, nobody is denying that. But working class people still live here, alongside all us yuppie tech workers. Pretending they don't exist and then using that as an argument against a soccer stadium because "nobody in Boston goes to sports games" (?!?!?) is ridiculous and honestly below the level of discourse of this forum.

Back