Potential Soccer Stadium | Portland peninsula

The problem with building rinks is that they almost always run at a loss- very rarely a profit. Too bad Southern Maine Univ. does not build it's own rink. I think Fitzy's capacity will grow by maybe 2k when it is renovated. I wish Portland could get the Revolution to move up here since the Kraft's can't seem to find a new home for them. The Kraft's want the Rev's to be inside the I-495 corridor. Fitzpatrick might end up being the biggest outdoor stadium in the state once the renovation is complete. I'm sorry but I think the actual capacity for Alfond stadium is around 8500 with standing room bringing it up to 10k.
USM has a fairly large rink with an Olympic-sized ice surface on their Gorham campus. all of their athletic facilities are located there.

When the Thompson's Point project was initially announced, a new arena for the then Red Claws was going to be part of it. When the initial concept didn't come to fruition and the project was sold, the basketball team pulled out and invested in e.g. the new seatbacks for the Expo bleachers (which also meant the end of indoor track at the Expo). The land for the Thompson's Point arena, which pivoted to being a performance space for the Circus Conservatory that was here before they also left, is now the new brewery warehouse.

The most-recent site plan I could find in the Thompson's Point thread still had the event center (Building H):
Ql7Re2q.png

Great, move the Red Claws/Celtics to Thompson's Point and build an ice arena out there too. That project is basically a huge "miss" anyway.

Portland is too keen on preserving the wrong things. Expo and Bean Factory are not it.

I know this conversation should be on the Arena thread, but could the Thompson's Point section support a new 10k arena with ice? I know there is a train stop right there. I am not sure what the size of Thompson point is, but an arena usually needs about 4 -5 acres. The footprint for the proposed arena looks much smaller.

Regarding Fitzy, will the newly configured stadium include Hadlock Field- updating outfield area or flow of foot traffic between stadiums? The Expo arena should be demolished, even if it was recently renovated. Both Hadlock and Fitzy can use renovations to improve the fan experience.

The problem with building rinks is that they almost always run at a loss- very rarely a profit. Too bad Southern Maine Univ. does not build it's own rink. I think Fitzy's capacity will grow by maybe 2k when it is renovated. I wish Portland could get the Revolution to move up here since the Kraft's can't seem to find a new home for them. The Kraft's want the Rev's to be inside the I-495 corridor. Fitzpatrick might end up being the biggest outdoor stadium in the state once the renovation is complete. I'm sorry but I think the actual capacity for Alfond stadium is around 8500 with standing room bringing it up to 10k.
There are plans to renovate Fitzpatrick Stadium? First I've heard of it. Who's paying? And hope it's not just football/track because there is a HUGE need for soccer. A regulation sized soccer field is much wider than a football field. They need to figure something out and fast. Portland is growing in stature much faster than its population. Portland now pulls people from Boston on the weekends (for the foodie and bar scenes) and that would become a potential source with concerts. A new stadium needs to be up to 20,000 for soccer (football and track will not attract more than 10,000) and up 25,000 for an outdoor concert. A few years back Mumford & Sons drew over 10,000 to the Eastern Prom. A summer concert series in Portland with up-to-date designed food and drink options (covered) would pull people from Southern NH and Boston. Live Nation, the concert behemoth (and is on its way to being broken up due to Federal anti-trust rules discussed in Congress last week) wants to do a large concert series in Payson Park. They know the potential in Portland. Again, USM's new garages with 2,250 spaces helps with the parking. If Fenway Park can handle a crowd of 40,000, surely Portland could for up to 25,000. Didn't Bangor have a show in their outdoor venue with 15,000 last summer? It was a who's who of performers there last summer. None of them came to Portland. Look at the line-up at Cross Arena. Godawful.

Last edited:
There are plans to renovate Fitzpatrick Stadium? First I've heard of it. Who's paying? And hope it's not just football/track because there is a HUGE need for soccer.
The link I sent on the last page shows the renderings for a renovated Fitzy for soccer. That’s the plan afaik but no word on a timeline. I’m sure the soccer group that’s pitching it is hoping the city/state pitches in

The link I sent on the last page shows the renderings for a renovated Fitzy for soccer. That’s the plan afaik but no word on a timeline. I’m sure the soccer group that’s pitching it is hoping the city/state pitches in
Thank you for the link. That is a super lame proposal. It does not address bigger capacity, food and drink space designs that are popular today, and it is not true that it can't also have a track with the widened soccer field. I've watched stadiums swap out sections of artificial turf for specific events. The sections of the turf that conflict with the track can be removed. I hope the city and its rec dept. does not go with this inferior proposal. There are other ways to get more funds with sponsorships. Shamrock Sports Marketing is one source to find them. It's another Cross Arena result, in my opinion. I work with professional sports teams and stadiums across the country during some of my work. I am qualified to talk about this from a professional experiential position.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. That is a super lame proposal. It does not address bigger capacity, food and drink space designs that are popular today, and it is not true that it can't also have a track with the widened soccer field. I've watched stadiums swap out sections of artificial turf for specific events. The sections of the turf that conflict with the track can be removed. I hope the city and its rec dept. does not go with this inferior proposal. There are other ways to get more funds with sponsorships. Shamrock Sports Marketing is one source to find them. It's another Cross Arena result, in my opinion. I work with professional sports teams and stadiums across the country during some of my work. I am qualified to talk about this from a professional experiential position.
Feel free to reach out to me directly or Gabe - we've been at this with the City for almost 3 years with literally no real contact (no city manager and no economic development contact) and this is literally what was created with the parks department being the main contact and input. This is what they have told us to do and what they would bless. ~ C

This is why Portland can't get anything done. They lack vision, organization, and participation. The only people who are loud are the misguided, part-time Maine resident, hypocritical NIMBY's

This is why Portland can't get anything done. They lack vision, organization, and participation. The only people who are loud are the misguided, part-time Maine resident, hypocritical NIMBY's
It's been a challenge. The parks department understands it's meaning to the city - specifically the immigrant community- they lead the effort to get the futsal court down at Kennedy Park - but in terms of a larger vision for the city its really not their role. City has like 300 openings that need to be filled - including obviously the manager and economic dev role. In many ways I feel so bad for them trying to operate in this environment but also I am just kind of tired of running in circles. I'm hopeful that this simplified plan gets approved just so we can get the team going while we sort out where we can play more permanently. I mean it's basically we rent the time just like any other club and pay for the upgrades we need to meet USL requirements. Gabe did a tour of some simpler league facilities and feels like we can still create a great game day experience. NO SCHOOLS LOSE PLAY TIME..... The turf is technically nearing it's run time anyway. And we may or may not have a legit potential lead investor doing due diligence right now. We are fortunate that the USL has been very supportive given the length of time we've been at this. ~ C

Are there any new renderings of Fitzpatrick Stadium reconfigured for Soccer/Football- Redfern, your current renderings look sharp! Curious if there will be noticeable budget cuts given the inflation/snail's pace of progress on it. One main challenge from a game day operating standpoint would be Hadlock, the Expo, and Fitzy hosting events at the same time/overlapping. In a perfect world, Portland would already have a 20k stadium designed for Soccer/Football. Looking forward to some home games for UMaine football at Fitzy. Luxury suites for all those future Portland Biotech execs! Regardless, a renovated Fitzpatrick Stadium will be a major upgrade from the current state of the stadium.

Congrats to Catherine and Jonathan, Gabe Hoffman-Johnson, Tom Caron and the other investors for being awarded a United Soccer League (USL) franchise for Portland. The team will play their home games at a renovated Fitzpatrick Stadium which will be shared with the Portland Public Schools starting in 2025.

Last edited:
The Track stays, which was a sticking point with USL. Plus the League will be a Tier 1, which most teams play in 6k to 10K stadiums. Parking needs to be addressed for the surrounding complex that includes Troubh, Expo, and Hadlock. A central garage that serves the community as well as the complex during games. Any improvement will be better than what is there now especially the dilapidated press box that is an embarrassment.

Good news that professional soccer is on the way for Portland at Fitzpatrick Field. And I think its proximity to USM is a win/win for both (parking in garages for up to 2,000 cars, and perhaps limited lodging for visiting teams--pro, college, and youth). But I have some concerns (aha!) : Those front row seats sure are back a bit. As I've said before, it's too bad this new facility can't somehow be year-round. It's 6 months of action, and then 6 months of sleeping. Partners ($$$). Find some more. So, recently Live Nation, that billion dollar plus concert promotion company, the one that de facto owns Taylor Swift and everyone else notable, and a place where our concerts hero Lauren Wayne used to work at (and a company that I've had to deal with on many occasions), had expressed interest in staging an outdoor concert venue in Payson Park. Portland has a metro population of over half a million and is roughly a 90 min / 2hr drive from up to 3-4 million (Southern NH and the central/northern Boston metro area). Live Nation sees Portland as a continuation stop for big acts. If Bangor can fill 15,000 seats in its outdoor venue, then certainly Portland could do twice that. Okay, I get it, it's Maine and we don't do that (where are they all going to park!!!). "Compromise" to a capacity of twenty thousand with a simpler and lower height roof. It doesn't have to be a goliath. And, have the ability to open up the ends for the warmer months with dynamic food and drink spaces for today's crowds (bars). Now, you have the 6 months of sleeping time being used as concerts and other events to solve the embarrassing void from the many shortcomings of Cross Insurance Arena (I so hate that name--insurance does not make anyone think of having fun).

All that space in between the first row and the action...

03.jpg

Last edited:
Is the capacity of Fitzy staying the same? I was hoping for some "end-zone" seating , but the blasted track was too important for the city. Also, I would bet there will be a new stadium down the road if ticket sales are in high demand. Probably not on the peninsula-maybe even in South Portland. Glad to see this team is the AAA of the MLS. Wish them the best!

"..making upgrades for an estimated $1.5 million"
"The team said it intends to privately fund upgrades to the facility, including the addition of locker rooms, renovating the press box and improving general aesthetics, before the first season in 2025"

Sounds pretty underwhelming, but as long as there is no taxpayer funding, no skin off my nose.

Is the capacity of Fitzy staying the same? I was hoping for some "end-zone" seating , but the blasted track was too important for the city. Also, I would bet there will be a new stadium down the road if ticket sales are in high demand. Probably not on the peninsula-maybe even in South Portland. Glad to see this team is the AAA of the MLS. Wish them the best!
It's more like AA; MLS is at the top and isn't formally affiliated with USL, then there's USL Championship (def below MLS) and League One (us) is a tier below that.

And what would you provide for the Portland and Deering outdoor track teams if the track were removed? There's no room to build one at Memorial Field.

Back