Providence developments

Two new proposals for parcel 9 and hopefully 28 and 6 will close this week:

From ONE Neighborhood Builders: https://www.195district.com/_resources/common/userfiles/file/Agenda/2020 Agendas/9.23.20/ONE NB- Parcel 9.pdf
Pennrose: https://www.195district.com/_resources/common/userfiles/file/Agenda/2020 Agendas/9.23.20/Pennrose Parcel 9.pdf

I prefer Pennrose (scale, layout, street presence anyway) but you can't understate the amount of good, important work One NB has done and that they are proposing proportionally more affordable and workforce units. Not familiar with Pennrose. Will be interesting to see all this unfold.

Looks like the commission reviewed a proposal for a sign on 6 as well. Not sure what that means and if the Trader Joes rumor is dead? Cool sign anyway.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 354
  • Screen-Shot-2020-09-21-at-11.59.37-AM.png
    Screen-Shot-2020-09-21-at-11.59.37-AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 355
Last edited:
The PAC pit and rear of the history building(s?):
In addition, work has started on a new wellness center and residence hall (formerly a parking lot, before that a half-dozen homes):

The Brown Daily Herald: Marston Boathouse Renewal and Performing Arts Center construction stay on track despite concerns over materials
IMG_9542.jpg
Marston Boathouse and the Performing Arts Center, two of the University’s capital construction projects, are set to finish on their original timeline.
“We here in Providence and Rhode Island have been so fortunate that our projects have continued essentially uninterrupted,” said Paul Dietel, assistant vice president of planning, design and construction. “We haven’t skipped a beat.”
Construction of the Performing Arts Center is on track despite some initial concerns about acquiring materials during COVID-19, Dietel said.

The Brown Daily Herald: Wellness Center and Residence Hall construction expedited for summer 2021 occupancy
IMG_9416.jpgIMG_9429.jpg
The University has expedited the construction of the new Wellness Center and Residence Hall in preparation for hosting students and staff for a summer semester.
The residence hall is the University’s first new dorm to be built in about 35 years, and was initially planned to be completed in August 2021.

While some projects have been sped up to accommodate pandemic planning, the Lincoln Field Building renovation is on hold until further notice, wrote Vice President for Facilities Management Michael Guglielmo Jr. in an email to The Herald.

This is pretty cool. According to this article they have broken ground on parcel 28. Big changes afoot! https://www.bdcnetwork.com/uncertainty-shades-once-soaring-multifamily-construction-market It reads:

On October 27, Shawmut Design and Construction broke ground on 1.16 acres in Providence, R.I., for Emblem 125, a nearly $90 million development that, when it opens in the summer of 2022, will include 248 residential units, 22,700 sf of ground-floor retail space, and an 1,800-sf rooftop space. This mixed-use building, developed by Exeter Property Group and designed by Torti Gallas + Partners and ZDS, is one of the largest to break ground within the I-195 Redevelopment District. Rhode Island’s Governor Gina Raimondo lauded Emblem 125 as “a huge step forward for the growth of the Providence Innovation and Design District.”

Attachments

• Image Exeter Property Group.PNG
    Image Exeter Property Group.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 393
This is pretty cool. According to this article they have broken ground on parcel 28. Big changes afoot! https://www.bdcnetwork.com/uncertainty-shades-once-soaring-multifamily-construction-market It reads:

On October 27, Shawmut Design and Construction broke ground on 1.16 acres in Providence, R.I., for Emblem 125, a nearly $90 million development that, when it opens in the summer of 2022, will include 248 residential units, 22,700 sf of ground-floor retail space, and an 1,800-sf rooftop space. This mixed-use building, developed by Exeter Property Group and designed by Torti Gallas + Partners and ZDS, is one of the largest to break ground within the I-195 Redevelopment District. Rhode Island’s Governor Gina Raimondo lauded Emblem 125 as “a huge step forward for the growth of the Providence Innovation and Design District.”

Not bad.... those residents will be a 2-minute walk from the pedestrian bridge with its spectacular views of downtown. Once this pandemic is sufficiently in the rear-view mirror, there's no reason the I-195 realignment can't be as transformative for Providence, in terms of knitting together the previously-amputated neighborhoods and catalyzing development, as the Big Dig/Greenway has been for Boston. (Of course, "transformative" on a Providence-sized scale relative to Boston)

Not bad.... those residents will be a 2-minute walk from the pedestrian bridge with its spectacular views of downtown. Once this pandemic is sufficiently in the rear-view mirror, there's no reason the I-195 realignment can't be as transformative for Providence, in terms of knitting together the previously-amputated neighborhoods and catalyzing development, as the Big Dig/Greenway has been for Boston. (Of course, "transformative" on a Providence-sized scale relative to Boston)

It's really already well on the way. I still have family/friends in the area so we're in Providence quite a bit. It seems like the development in this area has really taken off over the last few years or so. These newest additions will definitely keep that momentum going. The pedestrian bridge is awesome and it's book ended by the river walk/Plant City and the new park on the opposite side is pretty (though obviously very new) and active.

Brown's Performing Arts Center:
The building continues to grow vertically, specifically the east and west cores now erected to technical balcony 2 level. Fireproofing and associated soundproofing has begun on the interior of the building and will continue for the next few months. Anticipated completion is fall 2023.

unnamed.jpg

There will be a live webstream of the topping-off ceremony on Thursday, December 10th at 11am:

I really like this project but the firms’ similar project in NYC a better version 😊

It's incredible how much worse this looks at 10 stories compared to 12. Apparently New England is the NIMBY capital of the United States.

Was out and about so took progress photos. Not the best photographer, but here we are 😃
51307362-4317-4402-8C1D-B428AE4DF556.jpeg

0A673E05-7180-4F84-AFC3-1DA366C8071A.jpeg

Perfunctory building but Farm Fresh at Kingsley and Sims super activated at Providence scale. Not far, 400 Harris will be a great addition I think.

6ACA7C12-7431-481B-A182-700F27A0ACD5.jpeg

9D916724-4ADB-4746-BC9B-458C9FF9DC0C.jpeg

Mill conversion at/ across (?) from Eagle Square coming along. Gotham Greens looking sexy.

8F327182-4D1E-4BE4-938E-1EA180916123.jpeg

Posted recently I think but Brown PAC coming together.

517F8E3A-C311-44F9-93DF-9C88ABF9DC46.jpeg
0B46738D-EBC5-4C85-80FF-DB35AA5FCE3B.jpeg

Aloft Hotel still chugging. I thought it’d be bigger but I’ll take it.

C3C6A5C1-3D0D-4C9C-9378-D7D4FAF1F0D2.jpeg

C734E67B-E509-45B1-9538-F0E1DFAC2D41.jpeg

Perhaps non updates, but fencing around Parcel 6 and work started on Parcel 28.

2935F50B-EDA9-4427-A90B-5BE941702F8E.jpeg

Anybody know if there is something planned for Empire and Weybosset? Fencing up and looks to be something going on.

Last edited:

Back