Providence developments

Just announced: Organic grocery store moving into downtown Providence. This will significantly improve the livability of Downtown and hopefully boost its appeal as a residential area.

Just saw that. Will be very convenient for the fairly new Nightengale residents living in the 143 apartments in the five floors above it. Should also be a short walk for all the loft apartments on Westminster street as well.

Also noticed on Monday that the framing for the Wickendon Street (195 Parcel 6) building which is supposed to house the long rumored Trader Joe's has begun to rise. The write up for this building lists that it will have a 13,000 sf grocery store.

I'm not from Providence so have no idea what these developments are, but a few pictures from a walk around Providence today (9/5):

IMG_20210905_113446062_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_113559963_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_115948799_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_121220688_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_113034799_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_113039535_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_113439191_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210905_112755039_HDR.jpg

The projects in #bancars 09-05-2021 photos:

#1 Emblem 125
A mixed-use 6 story project on Parcel 28 that includes 248 residential units and approximately 22,700 SF of retail space. The project broke ground in October of 2020 and is expected to be complete in Summer of 2022.

#2 Emblem 125
See above

#3 Bell Tower Place
Multi building apartment complex on Federal Hill at the corner of Atwells Ave and Dean Street on the former Mt Carmel Church property

#4 Bell Tower Place
See above

#5 Point 225
200,000-SF commercial office building opened in July 2019 and anchored by the Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC), Brown University's School of Professional Studies, and Johnson & Johnson. The building also features an 8,000-SF public meeting and gathering space called District Hall.

#6 Point 225 and the under construction Aloft Hotel in the background
See Point 225 description above. Aloft Hotel is a 7 story 175 room hotel with roof top bar set to open this fall.

#7 Garrahy Courthouse Parking Garage
415,000sf parking garage with an approximate capacity for 1,000 cars

#8 Park on the west side of the river by the pedestrian bridge with The Guild beer garden (Note that the Point 225, Garrahy Courthouse Parking Garage, and aloft Hotel are all visible in the background. The park and the sites of these buildings were once the path of Route 195)

Last edited:
The Omni Group “Bell Tower” project is horrendous. I liked the footprint when it was going up but the materials, framing, colors and dollar store, pointless shutters are shameful. This is the same group looking to “redevelop” the site behind the old Citizens Bank building at Cranston and Westminster. I hope they don’t get the opportunity to expand their brand of plastic, opportunistic faux urbanism.

The installation of extruded aluminum cladding is underway on the Brown University Performing Arts Center project on College Hill. The first insulated glass panels were installed on the rear of the building's clearstory about two weeks ago.
Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 9.58.05 PM.png

A private developer has purchased 101 Richmond St (built circa 1927) and its adjacent parking lot from Johnson & Wales University with the intention of redeveloping the existing building as a mixed-use space. As planned, the redeveloped building would include twelve apartments priced between $1,575 and 2,200; the retail space will include a bar. The developer hopes to begin construction "within two months" and complete it within "about 20 months."

The property is immediately adjacent to Emblem 125, a $90 million mixed-use project with 248 residential units expected to be complete by summer of 2022. Earlier this year, a 12 story apartment building was proposed for a parcel across the street.

Attachments

• JHROOZRJKRBXKXTMAXWCRMMQ7A.jpg
    JHROOZRJKRBXKXTMAXWCRMMQ7A.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 107
I get that this projects goals are adaptive reuse, but I would have loved to see them put *something* on the Cranston frontage instead of parking. 72 spots for 41 studio and one bed units is excessive. Parklet or outdoor green space, even - something not asphalt.

The developer behind the proposed 126 unit project at 155 Chestnut has abandoned the project. It's a real shame. More housing outside the ugly 5-over-1 mold with no/limited off street parking is exactly what this part of Providence needs to regain the sort of life and streetscape it deserves.

Good get for Providence. Wish this had been around when I lived near Wayland Square.
3A0144E5-C3E2-4361-B265-7D1F74EFC9CD.jpeg

It has been the worst kept secret for some two years. It will be in the new mixed use development being built at Wickendon and S Main Streets which was once the path of Route 195. The Trader Joe's store is being built as a separate one story building that will run along S Main. The entrance looks like it will face north to an open area (may be road to garage) behind the new residential building on Wickendon.

It along the new Rory's Market & Kitchen which will open in September at Washington and Mathweson will provide good food shopping options within walking distance to the fast growing downtown residential community.

The Providence East Side/Fox Point neighborhood will now have two Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's.

Last edited:
Some photos from a walk around Providence (10.16). Several of these residential buildings were still under construction when I visited in September 2021 (see my prior post in this thread), so it was cool to see them finished and apparently open!

PVD Dev (1).JPG
PVD Dev (2).JPG
PVD Dev (3).JPG
PVD Dev (4).JPG
PVD Dev (5).JPG
PVD Dev (6).JPG
PVD Dev (7).JPG
PVD Dev (8).JPG

Curious about where theyre interested in building this in the district. I think they might own that small parking lot between the med school and where there state labs are going but I am not sure.

Are you talking about Brown lot #81? (from the master Parking Map document):
1666660699786.png

Other compelling candidates (IMO) would be combining the lots of 108 and 105N between the Laboratories for Molecular Medicine building (70 Ship) and the Medical School (222 Richmond), or the combination of 200 Dyer and its parking lot.

Are you talking about Brown lot #81? (from the master Parking Map document):
View attachment 29935

Other compelling candidates (IMO) would be combining the lots of 108 and 105N between the Laboratories for Molecular Medicine building (70 Ship) and the Medical School (222 Richmond), or the combination of 200 Dyer and its parking lot.

Yes that’s the spot I was randomly thinking! But all the above would be cool IMO!

That said, dreaming for something more “landmarky” for 200 Dyer, the parking lot and the 195 commission’s parcel 14.

Some photos from a walk around Providence (10.16). Several of these residential buildings were still under construction when I visited in September 2021 (see my prior post in this thread), so it was cool to see them finished and apparently open!

View attachment 29667View attachment 29668View attachment 29669View attachment 29670View attachment 29671View attachment 29672View attachment 29673View attachment 29674

These look great. Providence really should be able to benefit from its proximity to Boston, along with its beautiful downtown, and location on the ocean. They should really be trying to get in as many residential buildings as possible into the wasteland south of downtown to give the city a jump start. If they can get the ball rolling I dont see why with their many colleges and beautiful cityscape they couldnt take some of the pressure off of bostons lab market and grow themselves.

Back