Providence developments

Affordable housing developments receive a boost from Providence Housing Authority
View attachment 32041

The projects awarded will bring approximately 361 new units of housing to Providence — most of which will be considered affordable — in 2024 and 2025.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12...s-receive-boost-providence-housing-authority/

Not sure which project this is but like this corner a lot in College Hill! 10.14.23:

20231014_110834.jpg

That red, black, and gray structure at the corner of Brook Street and Euclid Avenue is a private apartment complex that caters to students.

This link contains some info on it and what was there before:

This concept video shows the finished Brown PAC

This video shows how its interior can be modified into varying configurations

Brown had its official opening of its Lindemann Performing Arts Center in later October. It is located behind the Thayer Street Brown Bookstore.

Proposals for Parcel 1A are public: https://www.195district.com/documents/

I'm thinking I'm liking the PVD Architecture and Building plan the most... I love the PVD Flee but we definitely need something more than a canopy over this land.

Attachments

• Parcel 1 1.png
    Parcel 1 1.png
    957.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Parcel 1 2.png
    Parcel 1 2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
  • Parcel 1 3.png
    Parcel 1 3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • Parcel 1 4.png
    Parcel 1 4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
I guess that means there will never be a heliport on Parcel 1 again.

Not surprised that the previous hotel proposal for this parcel never materialized. Would think the Marriott Aloft was probably the last new hotel to be built for some time.

Hotel:
1699570724241.jpeg

That hotel proposal seemed so dated it was modern again. I never rejected it! :)

The Pittman Street development would not be out of scale for that section. It is next to a newer four story apartment building and directly across from Walgreens and the East Side Marketplace plaza. The proposed site is now mostly a surface parking lot along with a multi family home.

The Pittman Street development would not be out of scale for that section. It is next to a newer four story apartment building and directly across from Walgreens and the East Side Marketplace plaza. The proposed site is now mostly a surface parking lot along with a multi family home.
It's generic, but not out of context. The home on the property is nice enough, but probably not worthy of putting up a fight for.

9-11 Hayes Street | Providence

A developer is proposing a five story mixed use project across from the Providence Place Mall in the block that is anchored by the RI Veterans Auditorium and Marriott Renaissance Inn. The building would have commercial space on the first floor and 20 residential units on the upper floors. The site currently has a multi family residential wood frame building (the last survivor of what were many similar type structures that once surrounded the State House on Smith Hill) which would need to be demolished.

A developer is proposing a five story mixed use project across from the Providence Place Mall in the block that is anchored by the RI Veterans Auditorium and Marriott Renaissance Inn. The building would have commercial space on the first floor and 20 residential units on the upper floors. The site currently has a multi family residential wood frame building (the last survivor of what were many similar type structures that once surrounded the State House on Smith Hill) which would need to be demolished.

This will be a win for the space, though the additional floor and 8 units would have been better. I actually appreciate the Projo's tone re: the height reduction:
  • Renderings from the May meeting show the taller building would still be shorter than the main roofline of the the church, much shorter than the church's main tower and separated from it by the church's parking lot.
  • The church is taller than the Providence Place parking garage, across the street. All of the buildings on Hayes street are dwarfed to the rear by the Veterans Memorial Auditorium and the Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
  • The shrinking of the project comes amid a housing crisis decades in the making as Rhode Island continues to build the fewest number of new units by population in the entire country.
Personally, I've always found this street to be pretty depressing. The parking garage/mall is actually imposing and it spends a good chunk of the day literally in the mall's shadow. I'd hope those higher floors might actually get some sunlight and the concentration of units will add some foot traffic.

I think this may be one of the first proposals for the parcels near Rte 95. That area has looked like a barren wasteland with nothing but empty lots for some time as all of the district's initial development has been east of there.

They picked Riverside Partners tonight. That’s pretty cool I think. Was probably the most bold proposal. Will be glad for it if it works out.

Proposals for Parcel 1A are public: https://www.195district.com/documents/

I'm thinking I'm liking the PVD Architecture and Building plan the most... I love the PVD Flee but we definitely need something more than a canopy over this land.

Attachments

• C1EC11A3-A094-4D55-8AA7-5F81B986C25A.jpeg
    C1EC11A3-A094-4D55-8AA7-5F81B986C25A.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 56
They picked Riverside Partners tonight. That’s pretty cool I think. Was probably the most bold proposal. Will be glad for it if it works out.
If the former proposal for a hotel at this site was a problem with the RI Coastal Resources Management Council, then how is this not?

If the former proposal for a hotel at this site was a problem with the RI Coastal Resources Management Council, then how is this not?
They need a waiver for the requirement for the 25 foot construction setback from the seawall. Based on what I can see in the renderings, the new proposal has a landscaped setback between the walkway and the building itself. I'm not sure if it's 25 feet, but it's clearly a setback. The older proposal looked to me (again, based on what I've seen of the renderings - I could be wrong) to be built right up against the walkway.

I never want to assume anything, but I'd hope that the new developer looked into why the original proposal was unable to obtain the waiver and adapted their design accordingly. I'd go even further and say I hope that they actively worked with the RI CRMC throughout the design process to ensure that their design was likely to be able to obtain that waiver. It would be kind of crazy not to.

Back