Providence developments

easy does it. Don't assume this is some Portland v. Providence perspective I'm coming from. I don't even know where that came from. I do have my opinions about Providence, which I retain, but when I said I don't mean to crap on the city (just before I dumped on it) it was specifically aimed at avoiding the type of response you just wrote. Does it have nice parts? I'm sure. Are there more urban things to do there than smaller cities? I'm sure (obviously there would be). Again, don't think I am in any way comparing Providence to any other place in New England or elsewhere, because I'm not. I'm just sharing my visual perspective and observations. This is not meant to be a debate. You clearly know more about the city than I do, so just calm down. I may not have seen the areas to which you referred me. But, I can say that I have been there several times and not once been impressed. Kind of like a big city that isn't really big, if that makes sense. I'd rather drive 40 minutes north and be in Boston. Again, I don't want a debate on this, but if you want to have a conversation I am open to it. Your last post seemed like I hit a nerve, which is precisely what I tried to avoid by saying I didn't mean to crap on the place. I have my opinion, but I know not everyone shares it.

Okay, I have to add something. So I thought about it, said maybe this guy's right, maybe I just haven't given the city a fair chance. I looked up Wayland Square. Looks like a more commercialized Deering Highlands (outer Deering Ave and the "uphill" portions of Oakdale) in Portland. I looked up Benefit street, too. Looks like Exeter, NH, or Concord, MA or parts of Portsmouth, NH. Not bad. looked at s main street on local.live and all I saw was a crummy stretch next to a bridge that ended after a block. I suspect this is not what you were referring to. Either way, I have noticed there are some nicer parts to Providence than what I had seen (although, to be fair, I did say there were nice parts). I have been in the area around Brown, which was quaint and nice, and the areas I mentioned above look nice too. The odd thing, though, is that you said you would take providence over a quaint town (which Portland is not, by the way), yet all of the nice areas you referred to seem to be quaint. Providence has more trash floating around as you come into the city than any other city I've ever seen. It also has a high crime rate for such a small city. So, as I said, there are nice parts, but I think it has a long way to go. Don't get me wrong, though, because rare is the city which does NOT have a long way to go (Portland included). In fact, that's what draws so many people to this site, to discuss improvements for cities. Providence has the disadvantage of having to shake an early industrial city foundation, but at the same time it would never have developed as it did without having industrialized to such a great extent, so its tricky to say, for me anyway, how much it would benefit or lose from keeping or shedding its industrial past. we already know you like gritty scenes, and that's cool, in a way, so no need to repeat it.

You didn't "hit a nerve." The thing is, I only lived there for a few years and don't consider it my "hometown." I like the city a lot and know it well, but I don't have a real personal attachment. Your opinions of Providence just seem to be based on... well... nothing. You're misinformed and have really limited perspective. I don't care that you justified your opinion of the areas I listed in Providence by saying, "you obviously know more about the city than I do;" you STILL actually posted opinions based on google maps. Come on. Don't get me wrong, it's a great feature and I love it, but it's good for nothing more than a passing glance at an area, not forming a real idea of what an area is actually like. It's even worse than trying to judge what a city's like by hanging in the airport or understanding a neighborhood without getting out of the car. That being said, take a look at This (S. Main) or This (Benefit St.). Google doesn't have Streetview in Wayland Square (for some strange reason) except for this outside portion of it which is why you have the opinion you have (again, a misinformed one); but it's a walkable urban neighborhood with shops, restaurants, galleries, etc that is located away from downtown.

I think you haven't been impressed with Providence because you have unrealistic expectations. It's not a big city. It's a smack in the middle, mid-size city. It's city population will make you think it's smaller (180,000) than it is (keep in mind immediate urban neighbors Cranston, Warwick and Pawtucket have over 60,000 people in each) , but its metro population would make you think it's larger (over 1.6 Million). The reality is that it's a real mid-size city. Along the lines of a Jacksonville, Richmond, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc. Of course you'd rather go to Boston. It's a LOT bigger and offers a lot more. Using that same logic, I could say Boston's not impressive because NYC has more and it's not far away. That being said, Providence does very well among mid-size cities in the areas of urbanity, education, healthcare, entertainment, and crime (check the data among similarly sized metros, it really isn't bad- better than most of its peers).

Furthermore, you're incorrect about Providence's "foundation." It's not an old industrial city. Sure, that played a role in Providence's growth, but the city was founded in the 1600s and is very much a colonial city. The architecture and colonial growth patterns can be seen all over the city, especially at it's core. Again, I think you've really missed out on what makes Providence a great city. One of the biggest issues with Providence is that visitors from out of town pass by the few bad spots (South Providence, the industrial waterfront, etc) to get to hotels in the "newer" portion of downtown Providence (convention center, mall area) which is fairly generic save for a few nice older and new buildings and go to clubs in the still-rebounding Jewelery District. You're not immediately directed to the great walking/shopping/dining streets in downtown (Westminster, Washington, Empire, Weybosset, etc). Those Streets are as nice (architecturally and attraction wise) as anything you'll find in Portland's Old Port. You're also not directed to the great outlying neighborhoods (Federal Hill, College Hill, etc). You have to find them. Making those areas more accessible and visible while improving other areas (like the Jewelery District) is what Providence needs most.

It's not Portland v. Providence. The reason I brought it up is because Portland is the city you're familiar with and the city I know you really enjoy. I compare it because you "aren't impressed" by Providence but you very much love Portland. It's difficult to understand because from an urban standpoint there's really nowhere that Portland is superior to Providence. Natural Beauty? Crime? Sure; but not at all from an urban standpoint. I know you're a Mainer, and Mainers view Portland as the "big city" (I have actually heard people say this), but Portland IS quaint and that's the draw for most people from outside the area. I had a professor at USM who put it perfectly: "Portland is the perfect city for people who hate cities." He was dead on. Portland's metro area (btw, the census bureau's "metro" numbers for Portland is just the total population of York, Cumberland and Sagadahoc Counties combined) is by FAR mostly rural. There are no neighborhood centers, and the downtown area is small, quiet and charming. MUCH more comparable to a Newport RI, Burlington or Portsmouth than to a Providence, New Haven or Boston. Portland's economy is mostly service based revolving around tourism. Tourists go to Portland for the quaint seaside feel. Portland isn't just "quaint" it's the embodiment of quaint. Like I said, some people prefer that (and those are just the type of people you find in Portland); but for many like myself, it's only great for a weekend away. That's why I got out of Portland as fast as I could and many other have done the same.

Wayland Square, Benefit St and South Main (and lots of the East Side) are quaint and charmingtoo. The difference is that they coexist and work well with the real urban pockets of Providence (not just downtown). Portland doesn't have that. It's quaint and charming all the way through, but not NEARLY "city" enough.

I have no idea what you expect(ed) of Providence. If it's Boston-style atmosphere in a smaller package, don't you think that's a bit unfair seeing as Providence isn't even half the size of Boston? It's a great city for its size and I think you missed the best parts by focusing on the bad parts. I could do the same thing if focused on Co-op City in New York or Mattapan in Boston (or Bayside in Portland). You should probably withhold further judgement until you've experienced more of the city.

Last edited:
Well, here we go...Clearly I didn't hit a nerve...

Of the three pictures you posted on google streetview, one looks nice, the other two are nothing to look twice at. a CVS drugstore? really? Park Street in Portland, State Street in Portland, Vaughn Street in Portland, Congress Street even, Exchange, Middle, all of these streets look equal to (if not better) than the images you posted.

I also have to point out that you love providence for how urban it is, but say that its best parts are the historic (and more quaint) districts that are more like the cities you referred to as mere "weekend getaways" earlier.

That being said, I think the following quote accurately depicts what I have most likely been exposed to in Providence:

One of the biggest issues with Providence is that visitors from out of town pass by the few bad spots (South Providence, the industrial waterfront, etc) to get to hotels in the "newer" portion of downtown Providence (convention center, mall area) which is fairly generic save for a few nice older and new buildings and go to clubs in the still-rebounding Jewelery District.

You're also not directed to the great outlying neighborhoods (Federal Hill, College Hill, etc). You have to find them. Making those areas more accessible and visible while improving other areas (like the Jewelery District) is what Providence needs most.
You are right.

And, again, with the pissing match between Portland and other cities, if that's what you feel you need to make this into, you gotta ease up. But I'll indulge you for now. I like Portland a lot, because I am from here, but I am under no delusion that it is some rival of Boston. And I am by no means limited in my urban comparisons. I don't think Portland is the big city (in Maine, it is the only "city").

Also, you said that Providence compares well to others in its class? You have to be kidding. It has one of the highest poverty and crime rates per capita of a city that size in the country.

And it is and old industrial city. In fact, its one of the first cities in the United States to industrialize. This isn't changed or made a misstatement of fact by the fact that it existed before the industrial revolution. You can't possibly not understand this point. If providence isn't an old industrial city, what on earth is? You said Portland is a larger than average tourist town? Providence is a larger than average mill city. Portland, by the way, only recently became known for being a tourist destination, and much to the chagrin of its inhabitants. For most of its history (if you knew anything about it) it has been as hard working and "city minded" as anywhere in new england, albeit with fewer residents for obvious reasons. The thing is, this "touristy" label was applied after the fact, long after Portland built itself as a self sufficient seaport and industrial base. People on their ways up the coast stop in Portland because its the only thing close to providing some semblance of what they are used to in larger cities. So, ironically, it was portland's urbanity that stopped its urban development (once the tourists discovered it, they froze it in time).

Wayland Square, Benefit St and South Main (and lots of the East Side) are quaint and charmingtoo. The difference is that they coexist and work well with the real urban pockets of Providence (not just downtown). Portland doesn't have that. It's quaint and charming all the way through, but not NEARLY "city" enough.

Interesting. You might like to know that, according to the U.S. census site, Portland has a pocket (in the west end) that is denser (more people per square mile) than anything in Providence. True, its probably only a few blocks in scope, but its difficult to reconcile this with your statement that Portland isn't "city" enough. What does that even mean? For some reason you were drawn to a community college in this place, spent most of your time there, saw downtown and said its too small, and formed your opinion just as fast as I did about Providence.

I have no idea what you expect(ed) of Providence. If it's Boston-style atmosphere in a smaller package, don't you think that's a bit unfair seeing as Providence isn't even half the size of Boston? It's a great city for its size and I think you missed the best parts by focusing on the bad parts.

Man, this could be a quote from me to you, regarding Providence compared to Portland. It sums up the illogicality of your arguments the whole way.

and, I don't think its like saying NYC is just up the road from Boston (in comparison to what I said regarding Boston being close by to Providence) because I would rather be in Boston any day over NYC. Its not all size relevant.

As I said earlier, perhaps you are right and I should reserve judgment. However, that still doesn't justify your awkwardly defensive attitude about the city, and because the whole reason I visit this site is to discuss these things, I won't reserve judgment. A great city should be self evident; one shouldn't have to go "searching" or looking for pockets of good urbanity. Also, If it's as great as you say, I'm sure its reputation isn't tied to the outcome of this petty dispute.

Providence is amazing for a city of its size. It makes planning decisions and is revitalizing itself with a certain DIY coolness that make me envious, living in Boston. It's certainly not the world's greatest city, but it's moving in the right direction, which is more than I can say for Mumblesburg.

Look, I'll come right out and say that the aggressive nature of my post wasn't called for. It's no excuse, but I guess I was looking for a fight after a rough day at work (and a few post-work drinks) and your post happened to be the first thing I came across.

Still, my points stand...

Of the three pictures you posted on google streetview, one looks nice, the other two are nothing to look twice at. a CVS drugstore? really? Park Street in Portland, State Street in Portland, Vaughn Street in Portland, Congress Street even, Exchange, Middle, all of these streets look equal to (if not better) than the images you posted.

Like I said in my last post, streetview is a terrible way to get a feel for an area. I was simply posting those pictures to show that it's not as run-down as the impression you got from your first look. As for the CVS, like I also said in my last post, there is no streetview in Wayland Square and that image was a capture from outside of it.

Exchange, Congress and Middle Streets are the most urban streets in the core of Portland (Middle Street for a few small blocks is very nice). The three images I posted earlier were neighborhoods OUTSIDE of downtown Providence. Your comparisons to the three main streets in the center of Portland emphasize the point I was trying to make... that Providences outlying neighborhoods have real (albeit small) urban centers (btw, I didn't even mention Atwells Avenue on Federal Hill) with shops, restaurants and all sorts of other attractions all located OUTSIDE of the dense, urban core of the city. These neighborhood centers act as downtowns for their neighborhood. Portland has nothing even close to this. Downtown Portland is the only neighborhood center in the city (the whole state, really).

By the way, your comparisons in Portland show how little you really do know about Providence. Those areas and the areas you compared them to in Providence are really nothing alike. Not even close.

I also have to point out that you love providence for how urban it is, but say that its best parts are the historic (and more quaint) districts that are more like the cities you referred to as mere "weekend getaways" earlier.
You missed my point. My point was that outside of the very urban core, there are smaller mixed-use urban pockets. In Portland, the ONLY destination is downtown. In Providence, that's not the case. Sure, downtown is the biggest for shopping, dining, nightlife, etc; but it's not the ONLY option. The great thing about Providence is that I can live in a "quaint" historic neighborhood like College Hill or Federal Hill and have a "downtown" area in my neighborhood with all sorts of shops, restaurants, bars, etc that can keep me occupied until I want to go downtown for the bigger city amenities and atmosphere. There's nothing even close to that in Portland. Downtown is the "neighborhood center" for the whole city. Providence has the best of both worlds while Portland has just the quaint little downtown area (it's VERY nice, but it's all there is... no other options).

That being said, I think the following quote accurately depicts what I have most likely been exposed to in Providence:

You are right.

And you experienced one of the biggest problems with Providence which probably tainted your view. My whole point is that you really missed a ton of the city and subsequently are basing your opinion on very little in the way of what actually exists in Providence. Forget about the disclaimer comment in here, it doesn't negate the rest of your post (all I can think about is in dumb and dumber when Lloyd says, "Man! You are one pathetic loser! No offense."), you DID crap on Providence and did so with insufficient exposure:

Providence is full of a lot of dumpy wasteland. I don't mean to crap on it, because I know it is the so-called renaissance city of new england, and it has gotten better (and has some pretty nice parts to it, too) but as an overall place the city has a LONG way to go before it is a nice place to be in general.

Back to my original question... Where is all of this "dumpy wasteland?" You say that you don't know the city well, but you apparently know that there is a lot of wasteland. Sure, there are some bad spots (this site of this proposal on the working waterfront being one), but, "full of a lot of dumpy wasteland?" Really? Where? Also, given your limited exposure, how are you qualified to judge whether or not it's a "nice place to be in general?"

And, again, with the pissing match between Portland and other cities, if that's what you feel you need to make this into, you gotta ease up. But I'll indulge you for now. I like Portland a lot, because I am from here, but I am under no delusion that it is some rival of Boston.

It wasn't intended to be a pissing contest. It was brought up to use as a common reference point (we're both familiar with Portland) in a discussion about Providence. I can see where you would think that's what I was aiming for by the tone of my last two posts, but that's not the case.

That being said, I'd like to ask this question. If you like Portland and dislike Providence and I know you're an urban enthusiast like me, what URBAN aspects does Providence lack (that keep it from being a "nice place in general") that Portland has (that add to your enjoyment of it)? I'm curious because I can't think of anything in that regard.

Also, you said that Providence compares well to others in its class? You have to be kidding. It has one of the highest poverty and crime rates per capita of a city that size in the country.

Yup, that's another thing that Providence needs to work on. It's not perfect. When you look at per capita crime, you're looking at the specific city population, not the urbanized area or metro area. You're smart enough to know that Providence's urban area stretches FAR beyond the city limits (to include nearly 10x the population that lives IN the city limits). It's not the same as most cities around 180,000 because Providence is a MUCH larger city than that. It's crime rate isn't that bad either; I don't know where you're getting your data. of the 332 cities compiled in this list using 2008 FBI crime data, Providence ranks 205. By the way, #1 is the worst (highest crime) and #332 is the best. Providence is in the better half of cities in the nation in terms of crime. Does it need work, yes. Is it really bad? Not at all.

Like crime, the poverty is very isolated too. It's not rampant across the city. There are neighborhoods to avoid (generally crime and poverty are hand in hand), but the vast majority are quite safe.

So, again, compare it to similarly sized cities and you'll see that Providence will be among the best in most categories. Would you really want to live in Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Columbus, Orlando, Buffalo, Louisville, or Hartford over Providence? Do you really think all of those cities are better all around than Providence? No. Freakin'. Way.

And it is and old industrial city. In fact, its one of the first cities in the United States to industrialize. This isn't changed or made a misstatement of fact by the fact that it existed before the industrial revolution. You can't possibly not understand this point.

Yes, Industry played a major role in Providence's growth. However, Providence was a functioning, growing and in many ways, thriving city long before industry moved in. The result is that the core of Providence and many of it's neighborhoods were created and came to be what they are before industry existed in Providence. Much of the industry that DID develop in PVD actually developed outside the city (see: Pawtucket). Providence's downtown area and MOST of the adjacent neighborhoods were there before there ever was industry in the area. So, like I said, Providence is a old colonial port city first and foremost. Industry came later and much of it was outside of the city itself. You can't possibly not understand that point.

If providence isn't an old industrial city, what on earth is?

For starters? Lawrence or Lowell MA. Fall River, MA. Lewiston, ME. Buffalo, NY. Cleveland, Ohio. I could go on, but you get the point. Those cities came from essentially nothing (maybe a small trade post, but mostly just good riverfront/lakefront land) and were developed specifically for industrial purposes. If you know anything about Providence's history you know that's not the case. Industry played a role in the area's development, but Providence is certainly not an old industrial city. Not by a long shot. By your logic, Rome is a medieval city. Sure, it's history goes centuries beyond that, but the medieval era played a role in shaping it so therefore it is a medieval city. Providence was a growing and functioning city for centuries before the industrial age. If you really experienced Providence, the proof of that would be all around you.

You said Portland is a larger than average tourist town? Providence is a larger than average mill city.

Now you're reaching. Again, Providence was around LONG before there were any mills in the area.

Portland, by the way, only recently became known for being a tourist destination, and much to the chagrin of its inhabitants. For most of its history (if you knew anything about it) it has been as hard working and "city minded" as anywhere in new england, albeit with fewer residents for obvious reasons. The thing is, this "touristy" label was applied after the fact, long after Portland built itself as a self sufficient seaport and industrial base. People on their ways up the coast stop in Portland because its the only thing close to providing some semblance of what they are used to in larger cities. So, ironically, it was portland's urbanity that stopped its urban development (once the tourists discovered it, they froze it in time).

I could say the same thing about Burlington, Portsmouth or even Gloucester, MA. Like Portland, they are all very small cities that were "hard working" before tourism started to grow. Like Portland, they have small pockets of urbanity that are quirky, quaint and picturesque. The quaint, quirky and picturesque aspects of these cities is what draws tourists. Read any travel review (not local) about Portland and the raves are about the quiet, quaint streets of the Old Port and the picturesque scenery. I'm not going to say that Portland isn't urban at all... It is in pockets (but again, so is Gloucester), but the draw to Portland is not it's urbanity. In fact, much of the draw of Portland is that it has some urban amenities in an area that looks and feels like a small/mid-size town. When I was in Portland, the only people talking about the "city" aspects of it were Mainers and some other Northern New Englanders. Those from outside of Northern New England who moved there often raved about how it was so "cute," or how it was so quiet and not crowded. I understand that it's the only city in Maine and that clearly influences the view the locals have on it. Still, Maine's one of the most rural states in the Country and Portland's one of the most rural metro areas.

To take it one further, the fact that tourists HALTED the "urban growth" in Portland further supports my point that it's a tourist town. If the urban aspect of Portland was really the draw for those tourists, then the city should have no trouble continuing the urban growth, right? The thing is, the city thinks that "urban growth" (even small scale in Portland) will detract from the "cuteness" and "quaintness" that the tourists are drawn to in Portland. Ask anyone outside of Maine considering a visit to Maine just how high up an "urban experience" ranks on their reasons for visiting.

Interesting. You might like to know that, according to the U.S. census site, Portland has a pocket (in the west end) that is denser (more people per square mile) than anything in Providence. True, its probably only a few blocks in scope, but its difficult to reconcile this with your statement that Portland isn't "city" enough. What does that even mean?

You got me! That tiny chunk of the West End that, when viewed separate from the context of the city is denser than anything in Providence (love to see the actual link, by the way) proves that Portland is a real "urban" area. Come on, dude. Seriously? Every one with half a clue knows that Providence is a MUCH larger, MUCH more dense city (as a whole, not a two-block chunk of one neighborhood) than Portland. It also has far more in the way of urban amenities than Portland could ever dream of. I know you can't deny that (but you'll probably try anyway).

For some reason you were drawn to a community college in this place, spent most of your time there, saw downtown and said its too small, and formed your opinion just as fast as I did about Providence.

I went to USM. In Portland. Not a community college. Was that an attempt at a knock on my college education? I went because it was cheap (cheaper than in-state MA tuition), I wanted to try to live somewhere else for a bit and my girlfriend happened to live there. I'm glad I did. I didn't like Portland, but I wouldn't have known that had I not tried.

Ah, so you spent four years living in various neighborhoods in Providence, working there, and getting an education there? Good. Then we may have equal experience between these two cities. I lived in the West End, Parkside and the "Arts District." I think I may have seen/experienced more of Portland than you did of Providence. I've established before why I didn't like it so I don't need to get into it again. In short, I found that it was a boring place for a 20-something and it was FAR too small. I'm hardly in the minority when I say I feel that way. Most of my classmates (except the hardcore, life-long Mainers) have left by choice (not just because of jobs, either) and one of the biggest complaints I hear about Portland is that it's lame for 20-somethings unless you A) Hate city living or B) love the outdoors (or both). You grew up there and that plays a big role in your passion for it. I didn't have that attachment and there was nothing else keeping me there. My girlfriend now lives in San Francisco as she, too couldn't wait to leave. Her sister is moving to Providence (of all places). It's a good fit for some people, but it's a tough place for a 20-something craving the city life. Portland just doesn't offer that.

I'm not saying and never have said I don't like Portland. I actually do. I just couldn't stand living there. I like visiting it like I enjoy visiting Newport, RI, Provincetown, MA, Bethel, ME, etc.

Man, this could be a quote from me to you, regarding Providence compared to Portland. It sums up the illogicality of your arguments the whole way.

Oh, you really missed my point. My whole beef with Portland is that it's too small. I think the few "city" aspects of Portland are hyped up to nearly astronomical levels by locals so that the reality rarely matches the hype. I couldn't stand that locals (Not you, I know you're playing Devil's Advocate here in many respects) love to act as if Portland is the be all and end all when it comes to an urban environment (I've said all along, Portland is a larger than average tourist town and a very good one at that. The only reason I brought Portland up at all is for familiarity. There is no comparison to Providence and Portland. I didn't ever "expect" Portland to have what Providence does (it doesn't, not even close)... I just expected Portland to live up to some of the local hype in many areas and it didn't. It's great for what it is, and that's a very small city. I don't care to live in a very small city. I will visit when I need a weekend away though.

and, I don't think its like saying NYC is just up the road from Boston (in comparison to what I said regarding Boston being close by to Providence) because I would rather be in Boston any day over NYC. Its not all size relevant.
Yes, but this contradicts your previous point that you can't compare two vastly differently sized cities. Boston may be as big as you care for and that's fine. Still, Providence doesn't have what Boston has mainly because it's a hell of a lot smaller. That's what I was challenging.

As I said earlier, perhaps you are right and I should reserve judgment. However, that still doesn't justify your awkwardly defensive attitude about the city, and because the whole reason I visit this site is to discuss these things, I won't reserve judgment. A great city should be self evident; one shouldn't have to go "searching" or looking for pockets of good urbanity. Also, If it's as great as you say, I'm sure its reputation isn't tied to the outcome of this petty dispute.

I've already said there's no excuse for the defensiveness. Tough day, that's all. I apologize for the tone (not the debate) as it was uncalled for. You're right to call me out on it. There was no need for it.

Discussion is fine. You just took an opportunity to make an (ill informed) remark on how "bad" you think Providence is. You sugar-coated it by adding the oddly contradictory, "I don't mean to crap on PVD," but followed it up by, well... crapping on PVD. You did reserve judgement without getting a good feel for the city.

A great city is self-evident. If you head to downtown Providence, the urban center and focal point of the city, you'll see that in the architecture, shopping streets, restaurants, beautiful river walk and evidence of modern growth (new buildings everywhere) combined with historic prominence (the aforementioned great architecture). If you venture just outside of downtown you'll find Federal Hill, College Hill, Wickendon St. Benefit St. South Main, etc. No, you don't have to search; but you do have to open your eyes. It's easier to "see" what's great about Portland as it's all isolated in a tiny little pocket right around a tiny little downtown area. Providence, being larger, is more spread out. So once you leave the downtown and vicinity, you DO have to look for those neighborhoods. How many visitors just "stumble" into great neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Boston's outer neighborhood centers? That's not a problem in Portland because there are no neighborhood centers outside the city center. If I just saw Bayside, Deering, North Deering, Riverton, Oakdale, Most of the East End off of the Promenade, Stroudwater, the Eastern Waterfront, or the awkward vacant lots adjacent to the Old Port, I wouldn't be impressed with Portland either.

Last edited:
You obviously have a passion for providence. I read through your whole post, but I have no interest in responding to most of it. Not because I dispute it all, but because this has gotten out of hand. Long day at work and drinking is no excuse for online arguing. The main reason I am avoiding responding to most of what you said (other than the fact that it would take all night) is because this stuff really does interest me, and it gets me pretty heated arguing about it. However, I can think of few more lame feelings than how retarded I feel having an online fight. So, I refuse to do it and I hope you do the same. This doesn't mean the discussion has to stop, it just means I will not be responding point by point to what you have written. Some good points, others I could continue to debate, but I won't.

Just a few things I would like to clarify: The reason everyone in Maine seems to think that Portland is the big city is because those of us who realize it isn't (and who want to have a big city experience) leave. The people who are left over are, by and large, those that are clueless. Don't get me wrong, native portlanders are some of the weirder people I have met. I like the city for how many people from outside have moved here. Yet, at the same time, I don't like how they're the same one's who prevent the city from moving forward. I am not oblivious to the fact that people who come to Maine are in no way looking for an urban experience. Yet this doesn't change the fact that most people DO come to Portland for urban amenities. Now I have gone and made this all about Portland, which is something I was trying not to do. The fact remains that, despite your arguments, what I have seen in the several times I have been to Providence, is dumpy waste land. There are relatively nicer and cleaner areas sprinkled in, true, but there is a lot of grime in the city too. I don't know what the districts are by name, so unfortunately I can't refer to them that way. particularly striking was how fast the feel of the place could change. For instance, we were around Brown, we were visiting a friend. There were plenty of very nice houses. quiet streets. students in the campus which was somewhat distant feeling from where we stood on the street. then we went down the hill, and into some very narrow street lined with restaurants and bars and shops. went in somewhere to eat, was told it was great, and was nothing better than what you would see in the Old Port. Okay, not bad though. So we left, (and there were hardly any people on the street, I might add), and upon taking a right, we traveled two or so blocks (beneath where the statue of Roger Williams faces the city) and pulled up to the apartment. There, a block from Brown or so (it could be more, can't remember, this was 2007) was a minivan with at least two dozen bullet holes in the back window. nice. some crime? some problems? I have never seen that in any other city (usually those neighborhoods, where they exist in nicer cities, are not immediately visible to passersby). In providence it was like the place was airing its dirty laundry.

Another time, we were in Providence (visiting the same friend, who went to JWU) and learned that 90% or so of the downtown buildings are owned by JWU. nice. we then went to some sort of nearby shopping galleria, and it was terrible. dusty, old food that looked like it had gone bad. no one in site. granted, it wasn't during the waterfire festival, and was in the middle of a cold month, but it didn't leave a good impression.

Also, when we drive in, we see these ridiculously ugly project buildings that make franklin towers look beautiful. They weren't just "there", they were prominently there. almost as if they were landmarks. I just remember thinking I can't wait til we pass this place by. This may have been a mistake, but that's the impression I got. There were smoke stacks and industrial buildings lining the roads all over the place from the direction we drove in (again, I don't know what district it was). All sorts of dive bars, too. I mention these things not to bash on providence, but because you seem confused by my opinion of the place. well, I'm letting you know why I have it. I don't usually feel that way about cities. Louisville, by the way, has plenty of the things you said make Providence great, as does Buffalo. I know the faults of buffalo probably outweigh the historic architecture and olmstead landscaping, though.

And by community college, I was referring to USM. Your education is what you make it, not where you go. I know this. But USM is a community college in the sense that it is not a national college. Its for locals (no wonder you are so annoyed with portlanders, because the more normal people attend different schools). And that professor of yours who said portland is for people who hate cities, what a quack. Portland is a place for people who love cities. it, along with many other older eastern cities, is a symbol of good urbanism. No, I'm not referring to north deering or oakdale or bayside. Im referring to the obviously urban parts. People who hate modern day american cities may like Portland (but open your eyes, most people in the world recognize the modern american city as a flawed concept).

I am now just sort of responding in random fashion, because I have no time to organize this post, but I also wanted to point out that deering center for a long time (and to a small extent still is) used to be a vibrant neighborhood center, until it was annexed by Portland and turned into an outlying district for commuters. The same thing is true of Libby town. and the west end and munjoy hill both have a healthy number of restaurants, bars, and shops to support the locals of those places (although I'm assuming you lump both neighborhoods in with the "downtown" when you refer to the "core"). Don't get me wrong, the rest of portland is just a generic mess of suburban crap (this is what makes me annoyed). I know this. If it makes you happy (and I am sure it will) I believe that there are places, perhaps many of them, that I have yet to see in providence with which I would be more than impressed. but I didn't make my initial comment expecting this debate, I made it with the anecdotal perspectives of my few trips, which you know. also, if you really want the link to the census site, I'll have to find it, but I'll post it if you really want. I enjoy doing things like looking up and comparing the densities of cities in new england. that's my thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't the same link I originally viewed (the one I saw had a city to city comparison that I cannot locate) but you'll notice that the population density scales by census tract have a higher upper range in Maine than in Rhode Island. Does this mean Maine is more urban? No, but you did ask to see the link. This is as close as I cuold get in 20 minutes of browsing.
http://ftp2.census.gov/geo/maps/special/profile2k/ME_2K_Profile.pdf
http://ftp2.census.gov/geo/maps/special/profile2k/RI_2K_Profile.pdf

I'm hoping to get down and visit Providence so I can get a feel for what it is like compared to Portland. Especially after these posts!

On a side note, 20% of students at USM are actually out of staters :D

I'm just now reading those last few posts for the first time. Interesting points. I will just chime and say that, as I may have mentioned before, have never been to Providence but look forward to visiting someday. From what I've seen online, it has a nice dense downtown and looks like a place moving in the right direction.

tuesday and yesterday
123.jpg
124.jpg
hazy!
125.jpg
126.jpg
127.jpg
129.jpg
131.jpg
132.jpg
133.jpg
135.jpg
136.jpg
138.jpg
walking into train station when I took this next one
139-1.jpg
134.jpg
back again yesterday well drove thru
144-1.jpg
my destination>
145.jpg
back thru
148-1.jpg

Always need to check back and see how my home state is doing...

New pics have been posted of the Warwick Intermodel Facility/MBTA Station. It's in the "home strech" apperently.

flikr slide show
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47874714@N06/sets/72157623999124334/show/

Construction is coming to a close on the Warwick Intermodal Station, a $267 million project for RIDOT and the R.I. Airport Corporation at T.F. Green State Airport in Warwick. When complete, the station will be the closest air-rail connection in the country.

The new station will feature a consolidated rental car facility, a bus hub for local and intercity buses, and a parking garage to accommodate both the rental car fleets (1,800 spaces) and commuter rail passengers (800 spaces).

One of the most striking aspectsof the project is an elegant 1,250-foot, elevated, enclosed skywalk with moving sidewalks that will connect the airport and the station. Learn more about this station and other projects spearheaded by RIDOT's Office of Intermodal Planning.
http://www.dot.state.ri.us/ completion expected in Sept'10 via Wikipedia

also, if you've driven through Providence in last few years or so, some major changes to the highway system (Iway) Do you remember when they floated the bridge up the bay?

I-195Update12hires.jpg

Give them a break; that could easily be somewhere near Broad St. downtown. At least it's not Toronto masquerading as NYC; that's almost always obvious.

^Or Toronto masquerading as Boston in the first Boondock Saints. There are a few clips where you can see the CN Tower in the background. That's poor editing.

Back