Providence developments

^Apart from the surface parking, that's... that's not terrible. Especially if the development across the street ends up looking like the rendering (at least the scale).

Surface parking along the waterfront is, ehem, a big swing and a miss though. If I were in Pawtucket, I'd fight that aspect of the development tooth and nail. I think the requested investment from the city/state for a "publicly owned park" is pretty fair. However, Rhode Islander's are understandably sensitive and skeptical about these sorts of things. Coincidentally, the combined public investment (city/state) is $38 Million Dollars. 38 was Curt Schilling's number and part of the name of his failed Rhode Island company (38 Studios)- the poster child for bad Rhode Island investments. #Conspiracy #Illuminati

Thing is, structured parking is expensive. Pawtucket does not yet have a Commuter Rail stop and this site is right on I-95, so people are driving to these games, potentially from a long distance. If you built a garage, that just tacks on to the required public spending.

Thing is, structured parking is expensive. Pawtucket does not yet have a Commuter Rail stop and this site is right on I-95, so people are driving to these games, potentially from a long distance. If you built a garage, that just tacks on to the required public spending.

I know- I completely understand why it is that way. I just don't like it. I hope that, in the future, a garage is on the table. Surface parking is an extreme waste of prime real estate.

Even with commuter rail (the proposed stop is about a mile away and the walk meanders through some ugly, not necessarily pedestrian friendly areas) and a decent bus system, the vast majority of fans will be arriving by car. So parking- and plenty of it- is a necessary evil here and likely always will be. I just wish they'd build a garage.

I was in Providence this past weekend and noticed a large crane perched on Canal Street. A little digging found that this 15 story apartment building by DBVW Architects has begun construction at 169 Canal Street. Also called Edge College Hill, the building will feature 200+ micro apartments, first floor commercial space, and a fitness center. Construction is scheduled for completion in summer 2018.

Link: Construction starts at Edge College Hill

17-0727-View-from-Memorial-Blvd-UPDATED-WEB-1680x1011.jpg

17-0629-Canal-Street-Elizabeth-St-Corner-View-1680x824.jpg

17-0728-Updated-Aerial-Rendering169-Canal-Street-WEB-Res-1680x754.jpg

Here are some earlier renderings that show the building as originally proposed at 13 stories, before a height variance was requested and evidently approved:

169-canal-rendering-001.jpg

169-canal-rendering-002.jpg

^Thanks. I think there are a few projects downcity that have broken ground recently or are about to. Including a few hotels. None of them are particularly wonderful in terms of design, though.

As someone who lived there, Downtown Providence is so frustrating. The city itself is awesome. My favorite city in New England to eat/drink outside of Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, and many of the neighborhoods are vibrant, fun, and full of cool places. While downcity is improving, I can't get over how many gaps in the streetwall, and empty storefronts still exist. The focus on apartments/condos is great. And hopefully that will help, but I hate how de-centralized all of the activity is. I took my girlfriend (who is from the Burlington VT area) down there a few weeks ago and she loved it, but also remarked on how dead downtown was. It's the opposite of places like Burlington with most of the active retail/dining corridors outside of downtown. To see the best of Providence, you have to go to Federal Hill, College Hill, Broadway, Fox Pint, etc. It'd be a hell of a lot nicer if they complimented a more vibrant downtown.

Looks like Providence is in on the double din window trend that should have ended before it started (except in rare cases). They made a 15 story tower look like its like 6 stories tall.

The last two renderings above ^ are from a previous proposed 13 floor version of this building.

It would be sad to see that building demolished and the new replacement tower doesn't appear to be that much taller. Outside of Boston, the Traveler's Tower in Hartford is the only other structure that's more historically prominent in New England than the Superman Building.

This pro-development forummer who rarely chimes in feels compelled to say that it would be tragic to lose the Superman Building. I'm not very familiar with the local development climate in Providence. This should be a tipping point that makes reasonable protection of iconic buildings mainstream if Providence isn't there already.

Did I just fall for a hoax?

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! This would be a crime against humanity.

Please please don't get rid of the Superman Building! That's the exact tower that got me into high rise architecture in the very first place. It's a piece of Art Deco mastery. Whatever goes up would be a VE'd shadow of the former.

:(

No! I did the “Save Superman” tour and I was amazed by the interior of the building. The lobby alone is such a grand space and the building as a whole seems to be in great shape. It would be very, um, extremely disappointing to see it go.

No no no. I can't even believe that this was even under consideration.

They really have no other places nearby to build that they would consider demolishing an architectural masterpiece?

I agree with DZH22 and others here. Erasing the Superman Building WOULD be a crime against humanity.

That is a work of art from a bygone era that employed quality materials and took details seriously.

This Paolino fellow needs to be stopped.

That being said, it has been empty for 5 years - - someone in Providence needs to refurbish it and get it back on the market. Neglect is also a crime against humanity.

If Providence truly wants to be considered a major league city it has to have a modicum of pride. It shouldn't be a smaller Newark.

Could you link to a photo and history of the building you refer to as the Superman Building?

Disappointing. It's been vacant ever since BofA left and the state has been hesitant to help redevelop/reposition it because of the fiasco known as 38 studios. Gilbane has made a fucking boat load of money in Providence over the last 15 years, very disappointing to see them and Paolino looking to demo this.

One Financial (building next to it) was on the market earlier this year and never sold. I toured it and they have some horrendous leases in there from a landlord point of view, free rent on some tenants for 5+ years. Only cool thing about it is the basement used to be a gold vault, the elevator to get down there is so slow because it used to be able to support the weight of a Brinks truck with a load of gold bars.

Providence is tough market. I love the area (PC graduate) but they just can't get their shit together.

I will say that the $115M cost to rehabilitate it seems pretty crazy, not that I am in favor of replacing it.

Phew Doesn't look like they are going to. Crazy they even thought that was going to get by.

Back