Public Art

found5dollar

Reaction score
just discovered that a new statue of Edgar Allan Poe is going up between the Common and the garden at the intersection of Boylston Street and Charles Street. Since there was no thread for sculpture and art, I started one.

link to the website for the sculpture: http://poeboston.blogspot.com/

the design:
rocknakpoeblog1.jpg

rocknakpoeblog5.jpg

rocknakpoeblog6.jpg

That is awesome. Permanent or temporary?

I very much like the idea of designating that corner to be 'Poe Square'. I hope this name takes hold among the general population.

Very cool. It's dynamic and fun. I think it will contribute a lot to the identity of this corner.

All I'm thinking about is how long it'll be before somebody tries playing with the bird or the suitcase and the load is too much for the statue to sustain. Hopefully, that won't happen but one has to take it in consideration.

It's got more character than the massive homage to Kevin White. He's a fun tourist attraction I've seen a lot of people enjoy, so this should be enjoyed even more.

All I'm thinking about is how long it'll be before somebody tries playing with the bird or the suitcase and the load is too much for the statue to sustain. Hopefully, that won't happen but one has to take it in consideration.

Too true. It's right next to the Old Town Trolley stop, so kids on field trips are bound to climb all over it. Oh well, they do manage to replace Washington's sword every once in awhile between thefts?

A couple Sunday's ago the Globe had an article about a guy who wrote a book about the 150+ major sculptures/memorials (as defined by him) in Boston. The guy couldn't get anyone to publish it so he self-published. I've been meaning to buy it.

EDIT: Seems like a cool book - it's sold out right now. http://pdiplants.com/BBSweb/

This isn't under construction yet. The press release linked to above says they need to raise $125,000, at which point they hope to install the sculpture late next year.

Very cool, I think I'll contribute to the fundraising campaign.

This spot was -- until recently -- going to be the location of a Silver Line Phase III head house.

This is a much better use of the space. And Poe will move faster than the bus would, anyway.

A couple Sunday's ago the Globe had an article about a guy who wrote a book about the 150+ major sculptures/memorials (as defined by him) in Boston. The guy couldn't get anyone to publish it so he self-published. I've been meaning to buy it.

EDIT: Seems like a cool book - it's sold out right now. http://pdiplants.com/BBSweb/

Publishers are stupid. Who knew there was a sculpture consisting of bronze garbage embedded in the sidewalk near Faneuil Hall? If someone can raise money for that, then surely this?

^one of the great underappreciated aspects of the tourist trap in the area. Literally immortalizing the former (and current) vendors through what most people hate (trash) but give the area its grittiness and character.

Who knew there was a sculpture consisting of bronze garbage embedded in the sidewalk near Faneuil Hall? If someone can raise money for that, then surely this?

I knew it. It was there for years before the Big Dig, but had to be temporarily removed while that project was going on.

There was a Poe Square in the early 1900s at Broadway and Carver st. The intersection is gone now.

Don't forget the Big new sculture of Big Bill Russel that's coming to City Hall Plaza

Back