Public Art

A couple Sunday's ago the Globe had an article about a guy who wrote a book about the 150+ major sculptures/memorials (as defined by him) in Boston. The guy couldn't get anyone to publish it so he self-published. I've been meaning to buy it.

EDIT: Seems like a cool book - it's sold out right now. http://pdiplants.com/BBSweb/

While it might be somewhat dated State Street Bank pulished a number of small pamphelts sometime from about 1910 to 1950's

I've aquired copies of a number of these at Ephemera and Antiquarian Book Fairs including;
"Boston's Growth' -- 19110
"Forty of Boston's Historic Houses" -- 1912
"Boston's Story in Inscriptions" -- 1908
"Other Statues of Boston" -- 1947

There are several others including
"Some Statues of Boston" -- 1946

If you can get your hands on these -- they are very well researched and phoographed

Don't forget the Big new sculture of Big Bill Russel that's coming to City Hall Plaza

http://radioboston.wbur.org/2012/05/18/bill-russell-statue
0518_russell-station-624x414.jpg

i like the poe one MUCH better. this is the memorial sculpture equivalent of Fan Pier, it does what it does but is horribly boring and similar to everything else.

http://radioboston.wbur.org/2012/05/18/bill-russell-statue
0518_russell-station-624x414.jpg

i like the poe one MUCH better. this is the memorial sculpture equivalent of Fan Pier, it does what it does but is horribly boring and similar to everything else.

They can't even bother to replace the damn brick with something nicer. They're just putting a ring in the brick. Heck, make it grass. It might actually be pleasant on a warm day. Any change in surface isn't only welcome, but it's pretty much necessary at this point.

The city can't spring for a green and white stone or at least terrazzo?

The city can't spring for a green and white stone or at least terrazzo?

Lurk -- the City isn't springing for anything except the site -- just like all the statues in Boston -- all are either donated or paid by private subscription

I've seen roadside memorials to dead teenage drunk drivers that had more imagination.

I've seen roadside memorials to dead teenage drunk drivers that had more imagination.

Tob -- Need to really see what the team of sculptor and architect really really create before being that really critical

That said the statue could have been innovative -- a magneticaly suspended Russel in max extension form blocking Wilt (not included in the statue) with a wifi / bluetoooth video site of Russel highlights included

see for example
88ffc9_Russell_06132010.jpg

Like your concept better!

But, no, I've seen what I need to see. Space eating, lowest bid cardboard homage to a complex man from a difficult era.

Like your concept better!

But, no, I've seen what I need to see. Space eating, lowest bid cardboard homage to a complex man from a difficult era.

Tob -- I think the selection had nothing to do with $ of cost -- it had everything to do with -- mrketing -- as well the Red Sox have one (Ted W and teamates) by the same sculptor next to Fenway and the Bruins (owners of the Garden) have Bobby -- so the Celtics are getting one next to the new Governmnent Center Station entrance on City Hall Plaza

But you are right my concept is so much more "Rus" in his prime

Sums this project up perfectly.

I like the Gandhi statue a lot. No false grandiosity, like the man himself.

My guess is that Bill approves, unlike the tribulations Gehry is having with the Eisenhower family.

I have mixed thoughts on the Eisenhower memorial in DC. I dislike all the text, and have always felt that multiple statues of the same man in a memorial is tacky, but the over all design concept is something I can get behind. ( http://eisenhowermemorial.org/menu.php?mid=19 ). I am a little worried as well about the number of memorial being placed on or near the mall in such a rapid succession. Of the 11 national memorials in DC 4 of them have been opened in the last 15 years, with three more in the planning stages. Things like this should be carefully planned.

I ...have always felt that multiple statues of the same man in a memorial is tacky

Would be interesting to see it done Hindu deity style, with each of the multiple arms representing a different attribute of the power he wielded, and each face representing that which he had to put forward in the different situations in his life: submission to MacArthur, destroyer of Nazis, peaceful ruler avoiding Suez and warning of the military industrial complex.

Or perhaps just an I like Ike campaign pin. But one piece of art that I believe needs a redo in Boston is Abraham Lincoln's. I could easily see how it could be offensive to African Americans. That and I'd like it to be a bit bigger and grander.

Would be interesting to see it done Hindu deity style, with each of the multiple arms representing a different attribute of the power he wielded, and each face representing that which he had to put forward in the different situations in his life: submission to MacArthur, destroyer of Nazis, peaceful ruler avoiding Suez and warning of the military industrial complex.

Toby don't forget his enduring legacy:
1) Executive producer of the IH System
2) Creator of the Military Industrial Accademic Technology Complex -- aka DARPA
3) True Space Visionary -- inventor of the Spy Sattelite, recreator of NASA

Good news that I don't think has been reported here yet. There is a new artist and a new design for the "Bill Russell Legacy Project", and it is far superior to the original design.
Local Artist Takes Lead on the Bill Russell Legacy Project

Ann Hirsch Announced as Artist for the Bill Russell Legacy Project

Local Artist Takes Lead on the Bill Russell Legacy Project Ann Hirsch Announced as Artist for the Bill Russell Legacy Project

Boston, MA – Local artist Ann Hirsch has been named the new artist for The Bill Russell Legacy Project.

“Mr. Russell’s legacy is important to the story of this city in sports and also in terms of human rights,” Artist Ann Hirsch said. “I am proud and humbled to be chosen to create this artwork and look forward to its unveiling in the near future. I am especially thrilled that I will be able to work as a mentor myself by involving local children in my process through the Shamrock Foundation.”

A Somerville resident, Ann Hirsch integrates figurative and architectural components by drawing on time-honored approaches, integrating historical modalities with contemporary practices and perspectives. Hirsch’s work is grounded in the body, movement and traditional sculpture technique. Her work is driven by a strong interest in 'theater' as public presentation and the meaningful organization of symbol, figure and space.

Hirsch earned a B.A. in Art History at Columbia University and Master's degrees from N.Y.U. and the New York Academy of Art. She has completed many commissions, teaches undergraduate sculpture at the Rhode Island School of Design and Lesley University, and shows in New York and Massachusetts.

“I am pleased that Ann Hirsch has joined our “team” as the artist for the Bill Russell tribute. Ann’s concept for the site, together with the mentoring program established in Bill’s name, will ensure that we’re creating something special, as a champion such as Bill Russell deserves.” Mayor Menino said.

“Congratulations to Ann Hirsch for being selected for the project. We are excited about Ann’s design. The statue will serve to commemorate Bill Russell forever as a Celtic and a mentor for all future generations. We are honored to be part of his legacy.” Boston Celtics Managing Partner/Co-owner and President of the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation Stephen Pagliuca said.

Russell’s statue will be completed in two phases. The sculpture will represent Bill Russell the whole man, honoring him as an athlete, coach, human rights activist, ground breaker and mentor. The sculpture will be slightly larger than life size. Russell will be on a low plinth in game action about to make a pass. Ten other plinths will surround Russell, for a total of 11 objects representing Mr. Russell’s 11 championships with the Boston Celtics. Each plinth will feature a key word and a corresponding quotation to illuminate the myriad of accomplishments spanning Mr. Russell’s entire career both on and off the court.

“I am happy to see the Celtics embrace mentoring and create this program that benefits children.” Bill Russell said. “My lifelong passion is to help the mentoring of children and the biggest honor of my career was to be Captain of the Boston Celtics.”

In addition to erecting the statue of Russell, the Bill Russell Legacy Project, along with the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation developed a Mentoring Grant program in Russell’s name to ensure his passion for mentoring children is carried on. The grant’s main objective is to expand the resources for mentoring programs in the city of Boston. In the grant’s inaugural year, over $50k in grants were awarded to the following programs: Adoption and Foster Care Mentoring, Generations, Inc. and The DREAM Program, Inc. Applications for the 2013 Bill Russell Grants are now being accepted through Mass Mentoring Partnership at www.massmentors.org. The deadline to apply is February 12, 2013, Mr. Russell’s birthday.

Co-chaired by Boston Celtics Managing Partner/Co-owner and President of the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation Stephen Pagliuca and Boston Philanthropist and Founder of the Bobby Sager Traveling Foundation and Roadshow Bobby Sager, the Bill Russell Legacy Committee consists of Karen Russell, Russell’s former teammate Tommy Heinsohn as well as Boston Mayor Tom Menino and his Administration. The Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation has established the Bill Russell Legacy Fund to act as the major funding vehicle for the project.

You can view an animation of the project here: http://annhirschstudio.com/artwork/3051413_Bill_Russell_Legacy_Project_Animation.html

BRLPanimationstill.jpg

BillRussellModel3views.jpg

what's with the blue people?

All in all this is WAY better than the previous design, the additional "plinths" will add some seating to a bleak area.

The blue things represent people walking around the statues. It's quite common in renderings.

Looks like the copper things are statues, so there are three for some reason. What the other two have to do with Mr. Russell is unclear.

Back