Public Food Market | 136 Blackstone Street | Haymarket | Downtown

Re: Public Food Market

I don't know why, but the idea of a public market is one of those things that I want to see succeed more than any other project. When you see how amazing they can be in cities in Europe (Florence's Mercato Centrale comes to mind) it just makes you want to pick that up and drop it in Boston.

What do we think are the chances this market really brings something new and exciting to Boston?

Santa Caterina - Barcelona.

media_72480.jpg

Enric Miralles and Benedetta Tagliabue, 2005

If this turns out to be a copy of Seattle's market, or even the North Market in Columbus, Ohio, I'll be happy.

I just dont see how that can happen in the space they've chosen. The vent building doesnt have anything close to an iconic entrance (or even a notable one) and as far as i can tell it'll be a low ceiling because of the parking garage above (!).

They should be taking down the HardRock garage and building something that stretches across the old ramp parcels (cf. context and connectivity for the FHM "colonial history superblock").

We'll get something that feels like the 'world market' section of the Shaws in Waltham instead.

I think you're right re: the building being what holds this back. It's being shoe-horned into the space, whereas a lot of those other projects were purpose built. Would have been nice to see a new building on some of the empty parcels in the area.

If this is successful it's supposed to expand to an additional new building on an adjoining vacant Big Dig parcel.

Looks to me like work has started on the ground floor. Is that possible or am I seeing something else going on?

They've had stuff in there for years, but they just threw up fencing on the Greenway side. So, maybe?

There were crews inside last night, moving stuff around... so... bump?

There has definitely been work going on for a few months now on ground level. A while back I noticed contractors had set up temporary offices inside on the ground floor (side facing toward the greenway). In the last week or so activity has picked up.

Permits were issued in late July for structural and electrical work related to "build out" of the ground floor.

If this is indeed under construction, why aren't people hyping it up?

The only thing I could think of is perhaps the developers of One Canal or The Merano are renting out the space as a temporary construction office?

Want this in Boston!

I don't think we'll be getting something on this level.

They should have developed one of the piers over in the South Boston waterfront into a massive, world class public market.

A narrower version of this would fit nicely on the RKG (a.k.a. the "glorified highway median").

There has definitely been work going on for a few months now on ground level. A while back I noticed contractors had set up temporary offices inside on the ground floor (side facing toward the greenway). In the last week or so activity has picked up.

Commute -- I caught part of the Chronicle on Ch 5 [10/23/2013]
"Wednesday, October 23: Growing a New Greenway"

Comment was made that Public Market would be up and running this time 2014

I also saw Chronicle last night...Great news! I love that there will be a market right at the Haymarket Orange line station! It will make shopping anytime during the week (and not just on weekends) possible and a relative easy schlep back home on the T with bags.

Will this remain garage on the upper levels? The open windows as they are now are reminiscent of bombed out Dresden.

Hmmmm, those LED strips on the stacks, too good.

Back