Public Food Market | 136 Blackstone Street | Haymarket | Downtown

Re: Public Food Market

Yeah, I looooooooove those lights. Same color as the Union Oyster House sign, too.

Speaking of a Public Food Market, what are some of your favorites around the country, or around the world that you've been to?

Mercato Central in Florence isn't much to look at, either inside or outside, but I still love the feel of its interior. Busy, packed with people, tons of options.

Mercato Central in Florence isn't much to look at, either inside or outside, but I still love the feel of its interior. Busy, packed with people, tons of options.

Loved st Lawrence market in Toronto

Yeah, I looooooooove those lights. Same color as the Union Oyster House sign, too.

The lights are yellow in one render and red in another, so might they be multicolored LEDs? Lighting up the towers sounds great, I just hope they keep the lighting designs on the more conservative side.

Are those towers vents? I always thought they were. Either way, they'll lool great, and this market is a win!

Are those towers vents? I always thought they were. Either way, they'll lool great, and this market is a win!

Yes. Tip O'Neil Tunnel/"Big Dig" vents.

Of the ones I've been to, the Central Market in Budapest is far and away the best of the old-school market halls. For newer, more deluxe models, Munich's Schrannenhalle is pretty snazzy. It's a long, narrow, recently rehabbed building just off the Viktualienmarkt.

My personal favorite is the Agora in Chania on Crete. Absolute chaos inside, but everything and everyone is there.

Not sure it can compare with some of the international ones posted here (particularly when it comes to scale), but I am particularly partial to Lancaster, PA's, Central Market. It's a fantastic space, I think the brick exterior is great, it's generally packed, and there are some great restaurants and bars just outside of it. Not to mention the food inside is terrific. I will be going back to Lancaster in a few weeks and visiting Central Market is what I am looking forward to most.

Haven't been to Lancaster, PA, but I enjoyed Philly's Reading Terminal Market when I was in that neck of the woods.

West side market in Cleveland is pretty nice

^ It truly is. It's one of the few bright spots in that grim old city.

The market here in São Paulo is pretty cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97530790@N06/9266946379/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46240877@N03/8415803302/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicamobilio/6917141930/

They're famous around here for their genuinely colossal mortadella sandwiches (picture taken by me right before destroying this mother of a sandwich)

I've been just staring at this picture. My mouth is watering...looks soooo goooood.

I've been just staring at this picture. My mouth is watering...looks soooo goooood.

And my brain sees nothing but a big heaping helping of acid reflux shooting up my esophagus. Damnit, I'm getting old....

Back