Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Re: Quaker Lane/Congress Square | Downtown

Land surveyors were at the site yesterday, if anyone cares.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2015/03/congress_square_quaker_lane_get_makeovers

http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/d...k=5WFeTLSW&c=9b535345ec3771b484f19374f02df190

http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/d...k=BRg5Bj9d&c=de6d730c19186ba5d0b04a68571c197e

A Boston developer revealed more detailed plans for its Congress Square project yesterday that call for two building additions, a new 13-story boutique hotel on Devonshire Street and a mix of offices, residential units, and retail and restaurant spaces.

Related Beal plans to renovate six Financial District office buildings in the existing Block on Congress to bring 24-hour activity to an area historically dominated by financial institutions, it said in documents filed yesterday with the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The 458,300-square-foot project includes about 92,700 square feet of proposed new construction: a cantilevered glass, five-story condominium addition above 15 Congress St.; a three-story office addition to 40 Water St.; and the new 133-room hotel tower on what’s currently a vacant lot used for parking. The hotel tower would be connected to the building at 68 Devonshire St.

“From their original conception in the late 19th century as bank buildings, the existing buildings have conveyed an image of grandeur and security,” the BRA filing said. “For the last 40 years, these buildings have been re*stricted to private use and turned inward, cut off from the surrounding neighborhood and streets. The design for Congress Square restores these buildings and Quaker Lane to a destination within the heart of downtown Boston.”

Related bought what’s now about 343,000 square feet of primarily office space from Fidelity in December for $87.25 million.

The ground floors of the buildings would include new lobby entrances and glass-fronted shops and restaurants that open up to outdoor dining areas on Quaker Lane. Quaker Lane would be converted into a European-style pedestrian area with suspended cable lighting between buildings, cobble pavers, sculptural seating and landscaping.

“Quaker Lane will be transformed from an under-utilized service way into an exceptional pedestrian experience, lined with boutiques, cafes and restaurants, nightlife attractions and distinct retail venues,” the project filing states.

Buildings at 40 Water St., 82 Devonshire St. and 33-35 Congress St. would be combined for innovation*economy office space and capped with the three-story office addition.

Related Beal hopes to start construction this fall and complete it in spring 2017. Although it’s presenting the project as one development, each component may be developed by individual companies.

The Lord Giveth (Quaker Lane) and the Lord Taketh Away (Boylston Place). I love this.

The 15 Congress Addition looks a lot like the FP3 addition. Not a bad thing at all.

This is an exciting project, though I will miss my Quaker Lane cut through. With the "no turns" restriction on Congress at State, it was the easiest way to get to Devonshire. It will be interesting to see how they plan to construct this in such a small area.

Those fire escapes are so sexy.

I'm skeptical about how much 24/7 life this will actually bring (nor do I particularly care because the ever-enduring quest for 24/7 life is overblown and usually irrelevant). Nonetheless, this looks outstanding. It's perfect.

Those fire escapes are so sexy.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Fidelity won some type of preservation award on their restoration of the fire escapes on the one building on the block they didn't sell (the one with Allen Edmonds).

Wow those additions look great. I love this project.

16318066403_6e4cba59b3_b.jpg

Render. At right is the 3-story addition to 40 Water, for offices. In foreground is the new, 13-story 68 Devonshire, for a hotel. Visible in the gap between this and the neighboring building is the 5-story addition to 15 Congress, for condominiums.

I actually find it all to be a little bit strange looking, but the preservation of the old buildings is clearly the most important part of this project. Is anything being lost with this development? (other than a cut-through lane)

This looks like a great project. At this stage, my only quibble is that I would like to see them go higher with the new hotel building.

Not sure what to think of the rendering 54 Devonshire looks like something out of LooneyToons Cartoon--Just add some bright colors to the lopsided building.

This looks like a fantastic development. I'm a big fan of this project and of the new hotel tower in particular.

wow!! That 54 Dev rendering is fantastic. Why don't more designs incorporate reverse punched windows?

This looks like a great project. At this stage, my only quibble is that I would like to see them go higher with the new hotel building.

I'd like to see a lot more of the residential addition as well. It'd be great if they did a cool ultra-thin tower and put it up 30 stories or so.

I'm skeptical about how much 24/7 life this will actually bring (nor do I particularly care because the ever-enduring quest for 24/7 life is overblown and usually irrelevant). Nonetheless, this looks outstanding. It's perfect.

Yea I think "24/7 life" is a pipe dream in most cases, but I think this will definitely help the area. The Filene's project will obviously inject a lot of life into the improving Downtown Crossing, but this will push more life into a part of downtown that usually die after work hours.

Last edited:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/05/04/downtown-boston-development-of-congress-square-project/

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is hosting a public hearing to gather more input and insight on the proposed Congress Square development project in the city's financial district.

On Monday, May 11, at 6:00 p.m. stakeholders and residents will gather in the BRA boardroom on the 9th floor of City Hall to discuss turning the currently underutilized buildings at Quaker Lane, just a stone's throw from the Orange Line MBTA stop beneath the Old State House, into a bustling 24-hour locale for the enjoyment of Bostonians and nonnatives alike.

This is probably my favorite project/proposal in the city right now.

The idea is nice, but there are so many issues. Where will the dumpsters be for all of these buildings? What about the valet/pick-up/drop-off for the hotel? What about deliveries of supplies for all of the buildings? They make Quaker Lane look like a 24/7 pedestrian space, but there is a huge need to use it for vehicles, at least part time.

Back