Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Re: Fidelity's HQ may go high

I think there is no simple yes/no answer as to the value of facadectomies. They must be judged on their execution.

I can think of two excellent examples from Chicago. Both are along the history Wabash Street Jewelers Row. The buildings facades were preserved and enhanced and you don't even notice the much taller building above. Having walked the strip many times the street is definitely better for having a more fine grained street-wall.

Love the examples, but the fact that the Boston one is "clumsy" might have more than a little bit to do with the fact that the "L" in the Chicago case blocks views upward. It's pretty easy to hide a high-rise you can't see.

Beal / Related also held onto to 131 Clarendon when building the mixed use Clarendon. Any redevelopment will probably fill in Quaker Lane (boo) and hopefully Ned's Spite Parcel (Hurray).

Beal / Related also held onto to 131 Clarendon when building the mixed use Clarendon. Any redevelopment will probably fill in Quaker Lane (boo) and hopefully Ned's Spite Parcel (Hurray).

I just don't understand the love for Quaker Lane. Yes, it's historic. But whereas Spring Lane and Winthrop Lane are pleasing red-brick cut-throughs that are pedestrian-only, Quaker Lane is beset by vehicles and other clutter and is confusingly configured.

The real keepers in the complex are 33 State and 25 State--especially the later with its recent restoration. They'll be untouched by this development. So who cares?

I believe a Beal heads up Related, so its not an NYC company taking over a Boston developer.

Fidelity sells five downtown Boston buildings

An investment fund run by the real estate firm Related Beal struck a New Year’s Eve deal with Fidelity Investments to purchase five buildings in downtown Boston that once served as the business epicenter of the giant financial services firm. . .

Stephen Faber, executive vice president of Related Beal, said the firm intends to “extensively renovate and reposition” 82 Devonshire and another building at 35 Congress Street and create “dynamic office space with 38,000 square feet of marquee, desirable retail space available for delivery in late 2015 or early 2016.” . . .

Full Article

This is a major win if you ask me. That is a stunning block of buildings that I am proud to walk past everyday. The retail is going to be awesome. I can't even imagine what it is going to be like.

Was hoping for a residential component here...and a high rise...bummer

There is no mention of the other three buildings, two on Congress, and one on Devonshire. Its possible that these are buildings Fidelity will continue to occupy through 2015.

There is no mention of the other three buildings, two on Congress, and one on Devonshire. Its possible that these are buildings Fidelity will continue to occupy through 2015.

Stel -- Fidelity is moving ASAP into the Stone & Webster bldg next to South Station + they have space in the World Trade Complex

The buyers may be planning new construction on the site of the buildings not mentioned in the article. Given the new mayor, they probably want to avoid any major announcements other than plans to keep a couple of wonderful old buildings until they get a chance to see how things play out.

It would be pretty terrible if they raze any of these buildings.

These are all fantastically beautiful and historic masonry structures. There's almost nothing built today (aside from 15 CPW in New York) that would be an improvement on these. A Waterside Place / YMCA dorm / Kensington / Radian (which is what we'd get) in place of any of these buildings would make Boston a worse, cheaper city for it.

Stel -- Fidelity is moving ASAP into the Stone & Webster bldg next to South Station + they have space in the World Trade Complex
Fidelity said it would continue leasing some space in this complex of five buildings into 2015. One can't undertake extensive renovations while the lessee is still on the premises. Given that Beal Related announced major renovation of two of the five buildings, it stands to reason that Fidelity will continue to lease space in one or more of the remaining three.

These are all fantastically beautiful and historic masonry structures. There's almost nothing built today (aside from 15 CPW in New York) that would be an improvement on these. A Waterside Place / YMCA dorm / Kensington / Radian (which is what we'd get) in place of any of these buildings would make Boston a worse, cheaper city for it.

+1.

Itch these are also large enough that a good part of the building could be preserved with a good size tower sprouting from the center or even offset to the back corner

I wouldn't want just a facadectomy ala Exchange Place -- but a slender 30 story residential tower would fit right in

Ugh. Was hoping this project was gong to die on the vine.

Hey this sounds much better than I heard earlier.

Finally, a developer that appreciates alleys!

Ugh. Was hoping this project was gong to die on the vine.

Really? We keep the buildings and activate Quaker Ln. Sounds like a win-win. With any luck the retail and restaurants won't be super posh, but they likely will. Quaker could end up with a very nice european/old-world feel.

Where you hoping for a facadectomy tower?

Oh, I misread. My bad. I was thinking all the buildings along Congress were being razed.

I think it's time to change the thread name as this block is [thankfully] not going high.

Back