Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Re: Fidelity's HQ may go high

Are there hints in that passage that they plan to raze it?

I hope. Alleys/small streets don't get much respect around Boston which is a shame. They're safer for children too ;)

But people are mugged and raped in allies!!!!!!

[/sarc]

Are there hints in that passage that they plan to raze it?

In that particular passage, I didn't see any.

But in previous information about the potential to "redevelop" the site, there certainly have been. And that would be disastrous.

In that particular passage, I didn't see any.

But in previous information about the potential to "redevelop" the site, there certainly have been. And that would be disastrous.[/QUOTE

"Disastrous"? Why?! Quaker Lane is not at all pedestrian friendly in its current configuration. It's not remotely an alleyway "winner" like Winthrop Lane and Spring Lane and old city hall alley and pi alley clearly are. Downtown has dozens of alleys as a legacy of being a prewar city. Although Quaker Lane at least doesn't have major drug use and homelessness issues compared to others, I certainly don't see why it should be cherished like the four I mentioned above.

Although the alley provides some interest, the major loss would be the demolition of the various small footprint prewar commercial buildings and replacing them with some drab monstrosity.

Not to spark a huge brouhaha over facadectomy, but if they are going to redevelop rather than renovate, at least keep the facades so that we aren't subjected to another Kensington-like shit-material potpourri...

Quaker Lane is part of historic Boston as much as the Blackstone Block and other configurations that reflect Boston's cultural heritage. The experience of Quakers in Boston is unique and the ghetto where they lived until they left the city altogether, as well as Mary Dyer's hanging on Boston Common are all part of the intolerance the Puritans showed toward other religious groups and therefore pertinent to Boston's history. That's why it should be cherished. Build what you want around these streets, but leave the streets as is.

Wouldn't they have to knock down these buildings and build something new / taller to get a decent ROI? Also, would a facade-ectomy be a pain with all the different buildings on the site?

Wouldn't they have to knock down these buildings and build something new / taller to get a decent ROI? Also, would a facade-ectomy be a pain with all the different buildings on the site?

Given the particular beauty of these buildings, I would hope they would be forced into at least doing a facadectomy.

Not to spark a huge brouhaha over facadectomy

No worries, I've gone back to talking about it only with others in the field. I thought it would be fun to open the debate to others, but I was wrong. On that note, I will probably not be posting much in this particular thread.

No, the debate should definitely be open. I'll add to it, or at least get the wheels in motion....

I've been very torn about the possibilities for the last few months. As I walk by these buildings everyday, I stare at them and wonder what the street would like without them. I tend to lean towards wanting the buildings to remain intact or possibly having the exterior preserved. The facadectomy of these buildings are A+++++.

But if there was a 1000ft thin tower proposed here (which will never happen so it's moot), I wouldn't cry too much. I went right up to the foot of the Freedom Tower over the weekend, so my brain is still focused on how awesome that was.

As long as nothing ever happens to 2 buildings at the corner of Congress and State across from the old state house, I'm happy. IMO, those are the 2 greatest.

if there was a 1000ft thin tower proposed here (which will never happen so it's moot), I wouldn't cry too much. I went right up to the foot of the Freedom Tower over the weekend, so my brain is still focused on how awesome that was.

The talk has been about going high here - not 1000 feet high but something significantly higher than your average Boston office building. My understanding is that the price being commanded for this site does not work without a very significant tower here. If this rumor is true, it will be very interesting to see what is proposed. Perhaps this will move quickly to take advantage of the Mayor's remaining days in office.

I think there is no simple yes/no answer as to the value of facadectomies. They must be judged on their execution.

I can think of two excellent examples from Chicago. Both are along the history Wabash Street Jewelers Row. The buildings facades were preserved and enhanced and you don't even notice the much taller building above. Having walked the strip many times the street is definitely better for having a more fine grained street-wall.

Info on both is below.

Heritage at Millennium Park:

http://markprop.com/heritage.pdf
http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/legacy/legacy.htm

Photos complements of SCB, http://www.scb.com/work/commercial/retail/heritage-millennium-park
2006.solomon2.jpg

2007.solomon.jpg

Legacy at Millennium Park:

http://yochicago.com/all-in-the-details-legacys-lobby-and-jewlers-row-facades/11848/
Everything in this google streetview link including the SAIC and Utrech Art Supply is a facadectomy.

Photo also complements of SCB http://www.scb.com/work/commerical/residential/legacy-millennium-park
Legacy-Half-2.jpg

I can also think of an example from Boston where is is done much more clumsily, right across the street. I looks fine from State Street but the juxtaposition of glass and stone on Congress is jarring. Then again I find the facadectomy below, if you can call it that, interesting--especially when viewed in person. Others may not agree. But if you want to save the Boston buildings in question this is likely the outcome.

10 South LaSalle
252142227163f5547ce1b.jpg

No worries, I've gone back to talking about it only with others in the field. I thought it would be fun to open the debate to others, but I was wrong. On that note, I will probably not be posting much in this particular thread.

I thought it would be fun to talk to others about how much I like my Rolls Royce. But they didn't think it's worth spending $400K on a car. So now I only talk to other people who own a Rolls Royce.

I hope we don't lose all of the architecture in these buildings.

Related is also doing Lovejoy Wharf and seems to be doing a good job of integrating the old with the new there. Hopefully that is a good signal for here. I would love to see some real height and they can use the carrot of preserving the quality street-front differentiation and architecture that already exists.

I wonder if Related will hire TAT to design something to integrate with the existing buildings given that (1) It's TAT's specialty (2) They had TAT design Lovejoy Warf.

I hope that is the case. And glad to see the sale happening so soon.

I wonder if Related will hire TAT to design something to integrate with the existing buildings given that (1) It's TAT's specialty (2) They had TAT design Lovejoy Warf.

I hope that is the case. And glad to see the sale happening so soon.

Type --- the Beal family [founders of Related Beal] have deep local roots [beginning in circa 1878 and continuing e.g. Beal Family Senior Curator of Contemporary Art. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston] and therefore they care about how their projects are perceived by the community --

of course the current Related Beal company incorporates a NYC firm and is quite far from the original Beal family owned company.

Had no idea Beal and Related formed a partnership. Well damn, Related is as much of a Big NYC Developer as there is, so I guess I won't hold out hope for anything architecturally worthy happening here.

Back