Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Re: Fidelity's HQ may go high

Thank you bblancha for the thought provoking educated analysis on the topic.

people who love towers should focus on another city........ boston is a stumptropolis.

I agree. If you removed every height restriction in the city, is there a market and financing for anything over 500 feet? Exhibit A: TommyTower.

Fidelity selling four buildings in the Financial District

This is a tremendous development site,” said Debra Gould,executive director at Cushman & Wakefield. “When you can put those buildings together and go to the city and request more FAR (floor area ratio),this is very significant. Whoever buys it would hope they will able to put a significant block of space together between these four building that are not very tall.”

http://m.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/03/fidelity-selling-four-hub-buildings.html

^
The four contiguous properties include: 82 Devonshire/35 Congress St., 68 Devonshire St., 15 Congress St., 19 Congress St. and a 2,116-square-foot parcel at 54 Devonshire St. which have a total assessed value of more than $50 million, according to city records.

So to put that in visual terms, it's everything south of that charming duo of buildings at State and Congress:

screenshot20130318at208.png

And its between all other tall buildings, so hopefully it can break the plateau a bit with no problems.

There's some decently sized buildings already on that site, and even a nice alley that could be spruced up.

Putting them together, I fear another horrible starchitect megaproject. We should be encouraging smaller parcels, not larger ones that leave big holes.

I'm not going to lie, I like those four buildings. I hope that some of them can be saved.

All of the existing buildings are fairly sizeable attractive pre-war office buildings. Another tower with a massive footprint would not be a welcome development IMO.

Fidelity demolished a similar vintage 10 or so story building at the corner of Devonshire and Quaker Ln in the mid 90's. It's been a private parking lot since then. For years I would walk by and see the same two honking SUVs parked there - probably some door step parking for two Fidelity higher ups. Here is the location:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.3583...ij9-hJLyQY2xrodQ2MFSPg&cbp=12,133.24,,0,-0.14

Clearly y'all don't know nothing about the modern office real estate market. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a state-of-the-art office building with all the work of combining parcels (which can take decades) DONE. You want to know why Fan Pier is blowing up? Because it has the large open floor plates that modern offices want. These pre-war buildings are nice but they are gone. So it Quaker Ln probably.

Downtown Boston doesn't have that much modern office space. Most of it dates from the 70s and 80s and if you think that is a problem just imagine if you had to use a computer from 1984 to operate in the global financial marketplace today.

Since I don't really follow the office market in downtown Boston I can't speak to the need for space right now but this spot is way too sexy for a developer to pass up.

Edit: In fact this site allows for so much square footage that I don't know if Boston could even handle all the space coming available. It might be better used for two slender residential towers instead!

Despite the fact that finance is perhaps the most city-dependent industry on the planet, it's continually astonishing just how terrible financial companies are at urbanism.

edit:
computer from 1984 to operate in the global financial marketplace today

That's a bit silly. Humans are humans still. We haven't changed radically since 1984, and pre-war designers certainly knew how to create spaces for humans.

Actually, I would argue that designers of the past were much wiser than designers of the present who seem to have lost all of that wisdom in the pursuit of monuments to ego.

some of those facades are worth saving. It would be cool if you had a big office building and an even bigger slender residential. Although with copley and filenes in the pipeline, would someone be willing to build another 600' plus luxury building?

Maybe Boston's own all in one Hancock building (Chicago, not back bay) is in order. With the height to boot!

Also, is this 1000' worthy?

Liberty Wharf II? Could be cool. I agree that the old facades are solid.

There are plenty of parking garages and bad post-war developments located downtown where new towers can go. It would absolutely idiotic to knock down an intact block of handsome 19th-century/early 20th-century buildings for what I'm sure would be just be another fat-assed, stumpy tower added to the collection.

That's a bit silly. Humans are humans still. We haven't changed radically since 1984, and pre-war designers certainly knew how to create spaces for humans.

It isn't humans, it's our technology. Whoever is faster wins. You just can't fit the technology into these old buildings that you need for modern offices.

Most of us on this board appreciate architecture and urbanism in a different context than someone who actually uses these spaces on an every day level. Why do you think developers build what they do? Because enough people want to buy it. If it would make more money to save these buildings for some reason then they'd stay but I'm sure every developer worth his salt just salivated when Fedelity put these on the market.

This is one of my favorite places to walk in the city. It's one of the few places (to me) that truly fees like/resembles a significant city.
Every pop-up city in America can have bland 600 footers, but they're not going back and erecting anything like these buildings today. Certainly not a cluster of them. Quaker Ln. just ads to it.
I'm all for them going tall here, but I hope they can save the facades and the street layout.

I want to make clear I'm not championing the destruction of what's there but rather looking at it through the prism of the office market. These are beautiful buildings that they just don't make anymore. But they don't make them anymore for a reason.

Boston seems ok with facade-ectomys and maybe this is a good place for it. I personally hate them since they are just paying lip service to actual historic preservation. Maybe a Zombie Ant building would suffice.

I'd much rather see floors added to these buildings than have them demolished.

Why do you think developers build what they do? Because enough people want to buy it.

Yes and no. As commuter guy cited, Fidelity left a perfectly buildable parcel as a surface parking lot. I'm pretty sure that just about everybody would have benefited from construction on that site, including Fidelity, except for the few people using it as a parking lot. But that's how it stayed, because those few called the shots, even to the detriment of their own company.

Back